Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinos and Leveling Survival Game

Wait, that would mean bugs eventually went away in ARK! Hahaha. No worries there, expected gameplay. Plus mod issues, plus initial instability, etc, etc.

For the most part, Extinction went well. I’m trying to think of the specific issues we had there for a bit, I know there were some but they didn’t last too long. Valguero went well too but it was mostly just a new map, not nearly as much in the way of gameplay changes, etc.

Looking at all the hype screenshots posted. Definitely a cold biome, also a volcano, an underground lava area, the low gravity area, a swamp (looks like Ab undergound,) a large foggy area with very tall trees, etc.

Rad suits look to be a thing again. Gas masks as well. And fur being worn in the cold biome. Not many posts of what look like newbie style areas so I guess we’ll have to find out.

https://twitter.com/CudaCores

Saw that. Par for the course it seems. I’ll recheck in a few hours.

Xbox and PS4 are patching. I expect Steam soon. Unfortunately I’m headed over to check on my GF at her workplace. I’ll check back in around 11:30PM EST.

I picked this up, but only the base game for now because it’s on sale for $10.

Do I need the Genesis DLC to join @Skipper’s server?

Is it worth getting the Season Pass for 50% off? It contains the first three expansions.

It’s probably optional, as I think it’s one of a few maps available on his cluster. I’m not sure which maps Skipper has, but generally, with just the base game, you can play on any of non-dlc maps that an admin wants to provide, which includes The Island, The Center, Ragnarok and Valguero, and the dlc maps will simply not let you in if you attempt to start a game in one or transfer to one from another map you’re on.

Personally, I would say yes, but you might want to see if you actually like the game before pulling the trigger. Some people bounce off it quick, because of the initial difficulty.

Lot’s of questions but I agree with @barstein 's comment about trying before diving in too much. The initial game will get you access to 3 of the servers on our cluster: The Island (Orig), Ragnarok (combo map) and Valguero (combo map.) If you just starting out, The Island is the best bet, it was the original map and game and it has everything needed to either love or hate ARK. The other servers in the cluster all require a DLC, though most of us did the initial Season Pass (Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction, and also now, the new Genesis Season Pass (just Genesis for now.) Each server is like it’s own complete game so to speak. What the cluster does is let us chat to each other no matter which we are on, and once we find locations to do so, hop between servers with your player (the survivor,) some gear and occasionally dinos (your mounts and companions in game.) To see them, you go under your Steam->View->Servers. Then add a server, then add the IP address/Port line for each of the ones below. Then when launching the game you ‘Connect to ARK’, and when the list comes up, towards the bottom left you can select, “Favorites.” and it will show you the ones in this list, pending them being up.

155.254.28.106:27125
The Island - The original map/game.

155.254.28.106:27115
Scorched Earth

155.254.28.106:27095
Ragnarok - A combination map with a little bit of stuff from The Island and Scorched Earth.

155.254.28.106:27085
Aberration - A DLC on the old season pass

155.254.28.106:27295
Extinction - A DLC on the old season pass

155.254.28.106:27045
Valguero - A combination map with a little bit of stuff from The Island, Scorched Earth, Aberration and Extinction

155.254.28.106:27055
Genesis - A DLC in the NEW season pass

The connection password for all servers is the same:
T0mCh1cK

When connecting to our cluster, we do not run Battleye so you select the second radio button mark down for the play which is, “Play ARK: No BattlEye AntiCheat, Unofficial Servers Only.”

You’ll be presented with the ARK menu. If you select Host\Local you can run your own game of any map/DLC you have installed. If you “Join ARK” that pulls up the server list and it will scan initially for the worldwide servers. In the bottom left select “Favorites” under the “session filter.” With luck you’ll see those servers you added under steam. Select one until it highlights, then the “Join” button at the bottom.

You’ll get asked for the server password, it’s listed above. HERE IS A BIG KEY TO KNOW: we run mods. The very first time you connect to any in the cluster, the game will get this mod list and begin to download them from Steam. Soooo, you’ll time out “attempting to connect” since the server won’t let you in until your game version and mod list matches. Reconnect again, put in the password again. You’ll do this several times before it will finally load all mods and they will match the connection list, and the game will start. From there you get plopped into a character creation, name selection, and starting selection. Anything marked “Easy” should be your choice. ARK has shit for directions or help and what little is there is very light.

Here is the awesome wiki:

And in my opinion, here is an excellent starter series on YouTube:

And how to initially tame dinosaurs, which are your keys to getting through the game:

There are other help guides but those really helped me understand surviving a bit. You die a lot in this game. It’s OK. It’s a rite of passage but even top level and decked out, it happens semi-often. The fun in the game is some of that challenge, but also building, exploring, caving, and most importantly, finding good dinosaurs/mammals/reptiles/fish, taming them and making them part of your very own kingdom so to speak. They will fight for you, help you gather, help you explore, etc.

There is a chat box in game, both on-server and in-cluster will show up there. To chat, hit enter to bring up the chat box. Hit enter again to send the message once done.

The Genesis server is up and online but the rest of the cluster is slooooow to update. Everyone must be hammering the Steam update servers, but I’m slowly getting them updated and all should be online some time today. I do not know if there are any mod issues yet, but of the ones installed on Genesis, all seemed to work for me just during connection and about 30 minutes of testing.

The Island - UP!!!
Scorched Earth - Offline
Ragnarok - Offline
Aberration - Updating
Extinction - Offline
Valguero - Offline
Extinction - Offline
Genesis - UP!!!

The launch trailer is pretty good, I think Extinction was better, but it still good.

Thanks @skipper!

New stuff looks neat. Are there regular dinos on genesis or all new stuff?

Is genesis a standalone map experience or more of a crazy star gate connected map cluster deal (on skippers server)?

I just picked it up, £9 was just too good to pass up to dip my toe in. Will probably give the QT3 server a go at some point this evening if you guys don’t mind a QT3 lurker popping in.

Feel free man, the info is above, just note the caveat of having to connect multiple times (and failing) while all the mods get loaded for the first time.

Looks like both so far. Some of the old ones are named the same, some have X in front of their name. I’m assuming it’s like Aberration with aberrant variant dinos.

It is tough. I’ve died at least 20 times in the last hour.

What is the penalty for death?

Your body stays there, your stuff on your body. I don’t think you lose exp, but even if so, it wouldn’t be back before your last level.

In a sense, you just lose time. Time to get back to your body if you can, and get your stuff. If you can’t, well, time to get materials to make back what you had.

Each level you get to pick a stat to bump, then pick engrams to spend points on, which are akin to recipes to make stuff. Once learned you keep that knowledge.

For stats for newbies, typically I bump weight, then health.

Great. I picked up a copy of this for my wife and I’m pretty sure she’s gonna hate it.

Oh well.

My SO wanders by and sees me playing it and asks about the “dinosaur game.” She’s written it off as too complex for her.

No server updates yet, I’m repeated failing for some of these. It’s being ornery.

Bog area is hell. I noped out and went off to the Arctic instead, and have had a much better early experience there. Can’t imagine someone starting out there at level 1, though. (On a PS4 server btw.)

Without spoiling anything, I’m surprised at how much is different on genesis from all the other maps. It’s much more than just a new map, I’m finally realizing.

@ragan, I think the Aberration update my take this time. I’m at 95% and counting.

I’ll update this post if so.