Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinos and Leveling Survival Game

Here’s my starting location. There’s crystal scattered around, both inside caves and outside.

Not yet, hoping to, however. Slamming rocks with an axe is time consuming.

@barstein funny you mentioned the Leeds, has anyone else noticed there are massive sea creatures that are normally very deep stuck in areas that have 5 feet of ocean? I’ve seen a lot of them near me. They don’t appear to move, so my guess is that the spawners will take some update tweaking over time.

Based on your location, I’m over to the left (west side of you in that light green and a little south. I think Ragan is to your right (east) a bit.

I am far north east from there just on the edge of the snow biom. I have so far located tons of metal nodes also obsidian,crystal,pearls and oil.

Thanks, Ragan. It does seem to perform better. Running in 2k without lag and think everything it turned way up. I started in the South this morning and got a little thatch hut up.

For Grem:

Thanks. Learn something all the time. Worked like a charm on my front wall.

Looks like the area where Ragan ran into me is great for Doeds and Ankies, guys. I’ll leave the gate/doors to the taming pen unlocked, in case anyone feels like taming one here.

Edit: There are also loads of other dinos in the area, including Argies and Pteras.

When starting the map with others, which spot is a good, safe-ish initial spawn area that you are likely to be able to reach each other in? The SW is not good for this since there are so many lakes blocking paths to your future tribe-mates.

I’m doing my best to avoid googling and studying the map this time around, so I honestly have no idea, sorry! I’ve pretty much only explored the two little areas in my screenshots, above. But I do think rafts might be a good early- to mid-game exploration asset, though, if you hug the shores as much as you can (avoiding raft-hating Leedsichthys). Most of the waterways appear to connect up.

And I lost the lottery last night. An enraged megatherium (sloth) came over the hill while I was afk and slaughtered me and all my dinos except the ptera and doed. In the process of killing everyone it destroyed about half my base and all my crafting stations (which were in the half he destroyed).

I’m almost back up to where I was before the midnight massacre, just need to get some replacement dung beetles.

As for the megatherium, I tamed him. But once I no longer have a need for him, I will kill him, harvest his meat and skin, sew his skin into my clothing, cook the meat, then eat him. And if he is very very lucky, it will be in that order. (Firefly reference, check!)

Came across bars little settlement today as I was scouting around. Be aware there are two alpha carnos right between us.

I’ve done flyovers for maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the map now. Of note, you can tell people where you are both in cardinal direction but also biome type and crystal color. The crystals are varied in color across the map so there are, or at least appear to be, beach areas with blue crystal and beach areas with green crystal, etc. Really where you start should depend on how easy you need it to be, and what tradeoff you want for resources. I’m in SW. It’s relatively easy, or at least it was until today. Easy to me means: I can park dinos outside without worry, I don’t really need doors, I really don’t need much more than a wooden structure for my base, etc. The tradeoffs are that beyond the basic resources (thatch/wood/stone/metal,) there isn’t much there. There also are only limited dinos there to track and tame. But it’s easy. It’s a good start. It’ll most likely require another base or two later on in middle and late game.

Compare that to say a taiga biome (something between arctic and forest, cold but with tougher dinos.) There you’d find more metal, some oil, obsidian, etc. You’d also find bigger carnivore dinos and flyers. This is good and bad since you’ll have a tougher start, but a much longer middle game before needing to branch out.

All of that said, maps have a lifetime. They start slow and slowly build up tougher dinos in certain areas, and sometimes map-wide. Alpha dino spawns take a few physical days to show up. We have those now. The Wyverns on this map circle one are for a few days but then apparently branch out and can roam. I saw that just today when one branched into the newbie area I’m in and I had to train him away from destroying my unprotected dinos and wooden structures.

So if you start with others, try a harder location. Redwoods are a good tradeoff (NW.) Central points have quite a bit of diversity but range from hot to cold depending on the biome. No matter what, if you’re going to meet up with tribe mates, plan the same cardinal location to spawn in. Otherwise it’ll take quite a while to get flying mounts and meet up.

I found two caves today, this was one:

I also tamed a spino, started another base up in the redwoods and got a good set of starter dinos up there. I’m still lacking an Anky at either base. I’m also struggling with power at my starter base, especially since I didn’t really ever have to deal with non-modded power runs. I’m having to watch videos to understand the differences.

But surely the highlight of today was capturing and taming a spino. I used Ragan’s dino gateway method and set up a ring of five and dropped the sixth in after running him into the middle of the ring. Taming actually went well even though I only had a few raw prime meat. At this point late tonight, I’ve nearly maxed him on levels as I took him scouting and hunting all over half the map. Unfortunately his stats are pretty horrible. I was able to use him to get oil and pearls, but I’m still low on obsidian. Still, having a big carnivore early on is key, especially so with one that is both good on water and land.

A word of warning though, watch out for the wyverns. They broke out of the small area they all circled in earlier today and now I’ve seen one almost into the redwoods at this point.

Fixed today: non-owned mob pickup by flyers.

Noted to fix tonight: slightly higher drops for oil.

Went out to breakfast during the scheduled downtime (I was playing up until a half hour before), but just got home and I don’t see the server. Anyone have any ideas?

Back up now!

It takes quite a while to reboot, all of them do. To the point when I think, damn it must have crashed … NOPE, it’s back up. I’d say on the order of about 10-15 minutes sometimes.

Yeah, yesterday was about that time frame, but today was well over an hour. All good, though.

In that case, there may have been a server update. As part of the reboot it checks to validate if the Steam server version has updated, if so it will update and then come back online. The timeline kind of sucks, but having it as auto-update helps a lot more than everything getting out of date all the time.

Thanks for the tips! We’ll probably try a hard location – we have more fun trying to forge a toe-hold when it’s contested.

I started NE corner and it has been a blast. Its right on the edge of the snow biom and I have tons of yuti prowling around and a couple Alpha carnos not to far off. Temps have stayed pretty cold so much so I had to up toughness to survive the nights early on.

Oil rig setup: