Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinos and Leveling Survival Game

I just bought this during the Steam sale and was meandering about a bit solo. Is it worthwhile to join you dudes on a QT3 server if I’m just going to be a dilletante newb? Or should I just continue learning the basics solo?

Depends on your tolerance for repeated deaths while learning. Aberration is a more advanced map/experience when compared to The Island or Ragnarok.

You can learn all the same things if you jump in with us, you will just die a bit more early on as you learn the ropes in a more hostile environment.

If you can get to 20-25ish in a regular map with a couple tames under your belt you are probably good to go. Of course welcome to join our Qt3 tribe and house up in one of the 3-4 bases going on.

Just my opinions.

This is a baby Shinehorn. She’s smaller than a human turd.

Yep, as @kono1134 says, you @sharaleo, @Sharpe can jump right into Aberration if you are willing to start out on a harder experience and with a different environment. I will send ya server details just in case.

The best way to play ARK by far, to me, is with people you know on a controlled server. I don’t think I would ever have the patience to try to play on a public server. Right now, most of us are on Aberration because it is new and we are still learning it. Once we figure it out (after our server issues), we will have Ragnarok map server running also and that is closer to a starting experience, but with areas that are harder and areas that have Scorched Earth content. Scorched Earth and Aberration are part of the DLC and Season Pass, but the Ragnarok map itself is included in the base game, I believe.

A few disadvantages to Aberration may be that not all dinosaurs are included, and you can’t experience any flying or swimming like you can on the starting maps. This is a great experience that most should try out, but if you want to learn the ropes and hang out with us on Aberr, you probably won’t learn faster than hanging out with @Ragan, @barstein, @Grembel, @kono1134 and the rest of us on our Aberr server. It depends on what sort of experience you want and how quickly you want to learn. You can also join us and still settle on your own fresh land and build yourself, and just ask questions when you run into stuff you aren’t sure of, or ask for help if you need a hand.

There Kel, fixed your last statement for you

haha, thanks! :)

@Ragan got our Qt3 Ragnarok server validated and running properly again so we have both maps working and available.

Thanks!

Looks good! That was an odd one. He ended up validating the server via Steam, and it grabbed something that was missing.

Give a shout here (or PM, or Discord) if anyone wants anything on the Rag server. I’m spending most of my time on the Aberration instance but can easily hop over for tribe invites, help with stuff, etc.

Does this mean it is down?

Sometimes. Perhaps someone is updating it if they pushed an update, or sometimes you just need to wait a bit for that site to update its status. I have seen that before and the server is still up and working.

I am at work, so can’t log in to check the status, but someone should be around this morning to check on it. I should probably bring my login credentials to work so I can manage from here too :).

EDIT: I found my login info and it does appear that the server is down. I will see if I can figure it out or perhaps we can have one of the other guys check if they are home and able.

It’s back. Trying to join now, ‘Attempting to join’, seems to have downloaded Structures Plus. Now waiting…

Hey @sharaleo, welcome! Hopefully all is well now. The servers restart at 1:45am PST for backups, and I’d be down to tweak the schedule if it helps in your timezone. Not sure about the other outage, don’t see anything in the logs.

When you do join, reach out via Discord or here and we can help you get started. More player activity on Aberration at the moment, and honestly that’s where there’s the most fun, IMO. Hope to see you soon!

I think the Rag server might still be borked. I appeared in my bed where I logged off. Inside a rock, inside my building. I was able to mine away the rock, but was still stuck. Demolished the bed. Still stuck, flickering and flashing as if I’m inside geometry.

It also looks like there might be mods missing? I was going to try and get out of where I was stuck with a suicide potion but I can’t find the engram now. (Also, when I logged into the server instead of the usual "loading x/12-ish mods, it was only x/2…)

Hey Calelari. Yes, the Rag devs altered the terrain on the map, and some of the terrain changes happen to be where people have built bases. (Our crafting and storage areas are filled with indestructible boulders and I experienced a similar issue.) To fix your character I’ll have to run an admin command directly on your character. PM me here or DM me on Discord to let me know when you’re on, and I’ll get you sorted.

The servers are also experiencing another, probably unrelated issue. Starting today Rag has in some sort of “Unknown” state (still seems playable), and the Ab server has been randomly disconnecting players. I let Kel know and he’ll be notifying the server host soon. (Not fixable through the admin console, so far as I can tell.)

Edit: Just checked in on your body; looks fine. Just in case, I picked it up normally and dragged it into a different part of your base. Hopefully that unstuck your character!

Yep, I will look into it when I can. Catching up a bit now as my internet has been out most of yesterday and all day today until just now, ugh. I see trucks all over town so they are working on something in this area.

Looks like the hosts caught up with the issues and fixed them. No disconnects today and Rag looks much healthier. Edit: Nope, still occasional Aberration boots. Impact isn’t like yesterday, only affects a few folks every now and then. (Or maybe, as of today, just me.)

A question about the PS4 version if anyone knows - I cant play the Ragnarok map, or the Center, and needs to be Gamme or Beta ascended, whether the heck that means. When playing single player, is that possible to do? I read it takes doing some bosses?

Also, if I do it in primitive plus, does that work in normal Ark? Thanks!

No idea on ps4 Sorry.

So, I’m now an official ARK newb, with the season pass. I know little, as I’ve only progressed on solo to the point of a couple of dinos. I don’t mind a challenge though, is there room for another on the server? And is is just the one or are both up and working?

PM sent! There’s room for sure. Either server works although the Aberration server is where most of us are. Hope to see you in game.