Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

Re: stealth combat

I think here can be really powerful. For once, you can have a “first shot from stealth gains damage bonus” that is gross, then weapons like the shotgun can be enhanced to pack a lot of punch. AND you will be always starved of ammo, so making every shot count is going to be good.

On top of that theres the scanning thing.

So I’m really liking the feel of this game. It has sucked me in. The wife wants us to go to dinner with her sister who is visiting. But you know what I want.

To avoid any strange chairs…

And smash all coffee cups. :)

Quite enjoying this so far, although I’m basically just through the intro and into the first (only?) hub. Creeping around, trying not to blunder into more trouble than my wrench/Gloo portfolio can handle.

I quite dig the ‘find the mimic I know is hiding in this room’ dynamic, although the exhausted gasps of my character get kind of old. All I did was hit two coffee cups and a chair with a wrench, you know? Big fan of the art style, the way you interact within the world of the game (keypads, computers), the multiple achievement paths, etc. Also, it runs like butter and looks great.

The System Shock/Bioshock vibe is earned and welcome. I love rummaging through the aftermath of humanity’s hubris.

I do find it hard to build stairs with the Gloo gun, though. The blobs never quite stack the way I want.

When you get a couple hours into the game, there’s a way to find hidden mimics. Don’t want to give spoilers, but you really can’t miss it. It comes at the perfect time because by that point I was getting pretty goddamn exhausted smashing hundreds of coffee cups to avoid the near-constant jump scares.

Still don’t think it compares to Bioshock-- splicers were much better enemies and the environment had more style and character. It’s definitely a “shock” type of game, though. If you enjoyed any shock game or Deus Ex, you’ll love Prey.

On a side note, what’s with the unskippable intro videos? Why do they do that? It seems like every game I buy, I need to google how to skip the videos. Sometimes you can just rename them, sometimes you need 0 byte replacements, sometimes people have 0.1 second long BIK files, etc. It’s a frickin’ pain in the ass. Stop it, game studios. Just stop it.

From RPS:

If you want to disable the unskippable splash screens which play out every time the game launches, you can rename the video files. This Steam Community post explains that you should mosey on over to the steamapps\common\Prey\GameSDK\Videos folder and change the file extension of these four .bk2 files to .bak (or whatever you want – .bak is just a handy reminder they’re backups):

Ryzen_Bumper.bk2
ArkaneLogoAnim_Redux_1080p2997_ST-16LUFS.bk2
Bethesda_logo_anim_white.bk2
LegalScreens.bk2

The location of that steamapps will change depending on where you installed Steam as well as Prey itself.

Upthread it was suggested to make the files read-only to prevent a Steam Update from automatically restoring a renamed/missing files. Is that still true?

To do that you need to replace the indicated files (with dummy ones), not rename them. When you rename them, they’re basically missing as far as Steam is concerned so any update will re-instate them.

A thousand times THIS. It’s 2017, people. We have an escape key, let us use it!

But, as for the game, I’m digging it. I’m not far in at all. Once I got a shotgun (and then figured out how to make ammo) things got a lot better. It is nerve wracking, for sure; I could use a tad less monster closeting-type stuff with the mimics, but in general, I love the Shock/Ex vibe. Art style is fine; I’m not as enamored of the station as I was of, say, Rapture, which I felt had a somewhat richer Art Deco inspiration behind it, but there is plenty of appropriate atmosphere and stuff is nicely done overall. The story is starting to get fairly interesting; the early reveal was actually pretty cool, and I didn’t see it coming to be honest.

Quibbles? Gun play is meh. I want to be able to right-button aim/scope in, but so far at least that seems absent. OTOH, snap-shooting old shottie is pretty much like playing skeet or trap for keeps.

And damn, these guys must not have needed doctors, because they had to have been eating a lot more than a single apple a day…

Remember kids:
Wine gives health, also removes fear.

I love the game - Really really enjoy it. But man, whenever someone talks to me, I have to strain to hear it - ESPECIALLY if the stupid techno music is running full blaze at the same time. I think I’m going to wait a bit until they have fixed the audio on the PS4 before continuing.

Sound is such an integral part of the experience today, that I’m flabbergasted they could leave it such a mess.

I’ve found that a lot of games, even on the PC, don’t get the sound mixing right out of the box. Maybe it’s because no one can tell what sort of sound system/hardware/software the user will be using, or maybe it’s something else, but it sure seems like a challenge for developers to get the levels balanced. I always have to tweak it pretty heavily.

I mean, different strokes and all that, but who thinks it’s a great idea to have all the volumes set to max, including ambient, effects, voice overs, and music?

On the PC, you can set those volumes separately. So you can have voice at max with music and ambient at 50%. I find this works fine except for the helpful robots that heal you/fix your suit which are mixed waaaay too loud.

I kept adjusting music volume and it always sounded too loud, so I turned it completely off. Much better!

I know, right? I am constantly right-clicking to aim out of habit. Such a strange omission.

Right-click uses your magic powers a bit later in the game.

Oh, yeah, first thing I do is set my music/voice/effects settings to what I think will be good, then tweak it later. I guess it’s easier for them to just set them all at 100 and let everyone adjust it. Not a big deal, but it would seem like there could at least be a better default balance or something.

You’re absolutely right, they should be mixed better. Like I said, even within the same type of audio (voice), the friendly robots are distressingly loud. They always sound like they’re right on top of the player.

Based on lots of positive feedback and excitement here I had family pick this up for me. I skipped most of the thread as I’m afraid of running into accidental spoilers. That being said can someone help me?

* Does this not take place on a derelict spaceship in outer space like System Shock 2? I was really excited to be stuck in space, but so far I e spent many hours in intro location.

• I’m on PS4 and I can’t hit those stupid mimics. The controls are terrible, I swing wildly and maybe 1 out of 8 times I manage to swipe the wrench and semi hit them. Any tips on this? It feels like I’m dying to a L1 rat in the beginning of an RPG.

• Are we supposed to be able to do anything with the Rorsach test?

• I can barely hear the guy who’s supposed to be helping you. If I turn up speech volume the rest of speech is blaring loud and thatvlittle pop up helper voice is still barely audible. Is it like that on PC too?

• On PS4 they have gamepad commands written incorrectly in the manual brochure included with game (crouch and jump are reversed). My feelings of this so far is that they did an awful job with fit and finish.

Any other tips that won’t give stuff away, something that might help in a general sense, like a “10 things I wish I’d known before I started”?

I love SS2 so dry much - and so far I’m underwhelmed and I want to shrug off that negative feeling.

Playing this game without music would be such a waste of Mick Gordon. The music does not play constantly, but when it does I love it.
Regarding volume, I just had to lower voice acting to 50% because it was too loud, rest is at 100% and all is fine on my end (PC version).
I love how the game is consistent and if I think I can do something, I actually can.
I just found a plan to craft neuromods, which is awesome, but I have a dillema if I actually want the typhon powers or not.