Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

I have 7 neuromods and have already been afflicted with decision-lock. Anyone want to give me their suggestion on where your first 7-15 points you should invest into? My playstyle is OCD insane completionist.

I went turrets first and it’s a mixed bag.

They like to shoot through you, dislike shooting anything not in their vertical plane, are easily knocked over, have to be carried everywhere at a walking pace one at a time, and require spare parts to fix and upgrade. Oh, and you can’t bring them across loading lines, so you have to discover a new source each zone.

I also went stealth attack and 200% of a pea shooter is still a pea shooter.

What??? A game published by Bethsoft that doesn’t immediately shove your character into a Stealth Archer-shaped hole??? UNPOSSIBLE

Well I like being stuffed into stealth archer shaped holes, but it’s not a real clear win here, at least for the silenced pistol.

Maybe if I bought the last security weapon upgrade which takes it up another 20-30%? Doubt it.

So every fight is a serious sit down and figure out how not to die or burn through lots of resources. Which I am currently drowning in, but only because of judicious use of F5/F9 and 100% exploration. This is not going to be a 20 hour game for me, more like 60 at this rate.

I upgraded my health, then the amount med kits heal, then hacking, carry/lift, then inventory, then the 20% damage increase to security weapons. I really need to upgrade inventory again :)

Upgraded pistol takes out regular micmics in one shot with sneak attack.

Sure does, but dealing with an identified mimic has never been a problem for me. It’s everything else that is the issue.

The two weapon damage upgrades are worth a whopping 50% more damage and 10% crit chance, for a total of 165% damage. They’re a big deal, if you find the weak weapons to be a problem.

Same with the weapon upgrade traits, I believe they’re called gunsmith. They’re worth a ton of damage too.

Overall, I’d give this game so far an 8 or 8.5 out of 10. For me this game isn’t about combat, it’s about exploration and survival. Haven’t tried sneaking all that much but this is a very “Deus Exy” game in that there are often several ways to get somewhere (vents, keycards, hacking, climbing, etc.). Figuring out how to get into a place is really fun. I’m overjoyed when I break into a supply room and find more “stuff” so I can build more “stuff”. The enemies are challenging, but GLOO is my best friend so far. All of this scourging may wear thin by then end but so far I’m enjoying the change of a giant scavenger hunt while being hunted myself.

That said, there are two things that keep this game from getting a 10/10 (and it’s really close). One, the weapons are lackluster. A pistol and a shotgun are your main weapons, and that is boring, and the range for your most powerful and necessary weapon, the shotgun is very short. The shooting just isn’t that fun. Given this is practically an homage to System Shock 1/2, they really needed more weapon variety and something that works at mid range as those games did. I"ve never played a FPS/RPG without an automatic weapon, and it is sorely lacking and needed in this game, IMO.

The other deduction are for the hacking game. On a PC it’s just awful. I really dread the higher difficulty hacks because the level 1’s are hard enough as it is. I usually save and have to reload several times because it’s so bad. This is the most annoying minigame I"ve seen ever, and that covers a lot of stuff.

But I really do like this game so far.

I am trying again and again to sneak and ignore enemies. So far no luck as their often irratic movements make it hard to know where they are going to be and anticipating line of sight. So I am starting to invest more into combat skills.

I don’t think you can so much sneak past enemies, as you can surprise them, and gain extra damage in your attacks. It’s not that theif/deus ex like I’m afraid.

Also, you’ll need whatever stuff they drop as often as not I think.

Encountered my first gamebreaking bug. I can theoretically continue although one of my missions autofails. But this broken mess of a script probably shouldn’t happen:

Annoying…very.

How viable is it to either avoid the bad combat or mitigate its badness through skills/weapon choice and/or difficulty level?
Also to what extent is the game likely to be materially improved via patching? It seems like the main complaints (on PC) aren’t likely to change, but maybe enough of the bugs to make it worth waiting?

Got over the bug above, it was necessary to first speak to Igwe and then Elazar, afterwards the script worked correctly.

And combat is great, not bad .p

Every review I’ve read, and most comments, say otherwise.

Movement and combat itself feels fine (assuming you’re not on PS4) but you start off very weak and if you don’t spec into combat traits you will remain weak. I assume easy difficulty will help with that.

And yes, I agree the game needs a medium-range weapon, an assault rifle with scope would be perfect for those times when you get the jump on an enemy across a large room. Would like a silenced machine gun too like a MP5SD.

[quote=“Ginger_Yellow, post:294, topic:78708, full:true”]
How viable is it to either avoid the bad combat or mitigate its badness through skills/weapon choice and/or difficulty level?[/quote]

Perhaps, I mislead you, I don’t think combat is bad, it’s just not as satisfying to me due to the lack of weaponry. Mechanically gamewise, it’s pretty good. If you think you can use the environment and other things to set ambushes to your advantage. Rushing just straight in will get you killed.

I don’t think the game needs “material” improvement, other than some technical issues. I’ve had one crash in 10 hours which isn’t bad IMO. No other bugs though as others have noted there are some out there, especially the corrupted save bug.

Funny, I had that exact same specific weapon in mind :) Would fit a civilian security force in an enclosed environment quite well.

That was more to rule out the small improvements you’d expect to see with any game and wouldn’t merit holding out on. Basically I’m asking if you think I’d have noticeably more fun/less hassle with it if I held off for a month or so.

No, because the game is the game, it’s not going to materially change in another month. All you are going to get are some bug fixes/technical issue resolved. I know of no plans to fundamentally change how the game plays. And it seems an odd question because very few games if any, can make material changes to the systems involved. It’s not going to become a fast paced FPS for example :)