Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

I see this is 9.99 GBP or about $13.50 from Gamesplanet UK.

Man, that’s just sad. Prey deserves better.

It’s still a $40 game on Steam, I can’t speak to where Gamesplanet gets their keys from, but I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in a low sale price. I see it’s half off on GMG right now, but that’s just a sale price (for a game that’s over a year old).

Gamesplanet is 100% legit. Their keys are from publishers.

Saw this mentioned over on reddit.

It really pains me to see games like this and Evil Within 2 sell poorly and games like Fortnite rake in millions.

The Mooncrash expansion is out now. $20 for a “rogue-like” run through procedurally generated levels.

No thanks. But, there is good news. Free update gives everyone a survival mode and a new game + mode.

Oh, and there’s some kind of multiplayer Typhon Hunt 4v1 PvP mode coming. Blech,

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1006003649246425090

Are they procedurally generated? I got there is randomness, with some obstacles, with the enemies, etc, but the layout of the levels seems to be the same.

I may find out someday, but not while it’s $20.

It sucks that we’re never going to get any proper story single player DLC for this.

Agreed about the price, but the game itself had a pretty solid, total story to it. The only thing I want is a continuation of the story, and that’s probably best saved for a true sequel, not?

Never finished this. Got frustrated in the last bit, but I may well try it again, as it had a lot of cool stuff.

It became a mess in the end anyway. The ending was abysmal all things considered. Very abrupt and no effort put into closure. It felt like it had been rewritten, and Avellone confirmed it. He’s a twanger and all that, but he wrote that bit about the cook which was a lot better than most other quests.

This dlc is not good, my dear unlikeable cadre.

Dishonored 2 and Prey did not do well, so Beth would politely ask them to do something different.

I thought they’d be trialing some new gameplay systems for their next titles - this one isn’t imaginative and takes the worst bits of an ‘immersive sim’ and a rogue lite and sticks them together. It has the stodgy mechanics of Prey with no story to drive it. The multiplayer sounds like another go at the asymmetrical thing they canned years ago in the crossing, presumably because it didn’t work.

What it does do is extend a small amount of assets into a longer format, and they are understandably trying to recoup some costs.

I don’t know where to from here for these guys. The market has changed on them and they will all try to emulate profitable rubbish like gta v online or this new Fallout/Rust heap of crap that will sell millions and generate a thousand scroll thread here.

I think they’ve got problems anyway because they couldn’t bring the main game to an exciting end, and that is necessary for that sort of game if you want to generate a buzz.

But it still wouldn’t have made the difference. AAA immersive sim is not very likely to be financially viable, and the only surprising thing is that the success of dishonored enabled these games. But that really was and still is an exceptional game.

Perhaps they will starve the market a bit more and fund a big single player game every few years. Or you can all go and play toxic garbage like Rainbow Six Siege or Ghost Recon Ghost Wars with stupid little shits who confuse it with physical sport that requires some real exertion.

Does anyone know the details of Survival mode? I’m hoping it’s iron man but I haven’t been able to find any information.

From the video, you jump into the same physical environment with randomly generated environmental hazards and monsters, and your goal is to get off the moon somehow. It’s timed and gets more difficult over time, so you can’t carefully explore, which is of course what Prey was all about. When you die everything is reset. There may be some progression mechanic because they’re listing the number of tries you took, but they didn’t go into it.

Looks like crew members unlock, but I’m not sure if YOU are said crew member (like characters to play as) or what. I watched some footage on YouTube (the guy playing beat it on the try he uploaded, took him about 25 minutes and looked pretty fun,but I was skipping all over and am eager to watch someone else play to see how different the levels look).

I bought it just in hopes that it’ll help encourage a proper sequel but I feel I’m unlikely to play it. But I waited until there was a deep discount on the main game not thinking it’d be my kind of thing so I felt they deserved more.

That’s the Mooncrash DLC. The Survival mode was supposed to be the other thing (in addition to NG+) they added as a free update to base Prey.

Yeah, I’m interested in Survival, not the rogue-like DLC.

Ahh, right. Didn’t they say you would need to watch your food, drink, and O2 or something?