Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

Lol, why would they switch engines for the MP of this DLC? It doesn’t make sense at all!

… I can only think they did it because internally they are training with UE4 for their next project and they used this as an excuse to do a prototype of an online game, and see how they could do it.

Just finished the base game, in about 33 hours according to Steam. I agree with Tom that the third act is a bit of a dud, after a very intense first and second. Still, the sci-fi/horror world building was excellent, and I think I’ll remember this fondly. As with nearly all story-centric games, I would have preferred it to be about 10 hours shorter and with a stronger ending - both gameplay wise and with respect to ending videos.

Two things I really did not enjoy:

• Having to traverse the Talos 1 Exterior at painfully slow speeds. Even with the proper suit mod to increase speeds it still is very boring to do anything outside.
  • The loading times later on. They don’t change as the game progresses, but there is more fetching across multiple zones near the end, and it felt like there were some hours where I spent half of the time waiting for a loading screen, only to sprint across a few hallways and then wait for another.

Despite those flaws, I still would heartily recommend this at current prices, and on sale its a no-brainer.

Edit: I may dip my toes into the Mooncrash DLC at some point, although admittedly the rogue-lite mechanics aren’t a very strong selling point - it sounds like more of the things I disliked about the base game, without any of the cool story and world building. Any comments on how Mooncrash is from this perspective?

Actually, Mooncrash does some pretty cool narrative stuff in terms of developing the characters and their context in the game world. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised.

-Tom

Thanks, that’s great feedback. Added it to the wishlist!

I wasn’t keen on the switch to rouge-lite in Mooncrash, but I wound up adoring it. I’d rate it as better than the base game.

Mooncrash is probably the best DLC I ever played, and I normally don’t like rogue-likes.

Mooncrash is certainly better than the base game IMO

This was added to the Game Pass on Xbone last week, and I’ve been tempted when it’s been on sale a few times, so I decided to dive in. 32 hours later, and I’m finished- it helped that I needed something to distract me from crap I should have been dealing with in my normal life.

My play was almost exactly like yours, @TheWombat, except that I played on Hard difficulty. Played mostly good, tried to save as many people as possible, used no Typhon powers, etc.

It was an outstanding game, and while I knew there was a twist coming, I didn’t know exactly what it would be- I knew I wasn’t getting the whole story, even though I was very thorough going through the levels. I did most of the side quests- nearly everything except the treasure hunts. I saw all the trees, just couldn’t identify the forest. I was almost rolling my eyes by the end at all the moral dilemmas. Even right up to the end, I thought “well, that’s weird- in a game that’s all about making choices, they really just let you save right before the ending choice and reload to see the other ending?”. Heh. Then you see that they’re all smarter than that, and the whole thing was specifically contrived to test your choices- the ending choice was almost irrelevant.

Anyway, that A/V article you linked really nailed it.

Now, should I finally pick up Dishonored 2 while it’s on sale this week?

Yes! Fantastic game, at least the first 2/3 I’ve played, I should really finish it.

I never got very far in Dishonored 1, given that crossing a bridge I fell into the 3D geometry and could never get out.

Very good game but I guess it depends how you found the first one?

Oh, I loved the first one. Played through twice, a ‘ghost’ run where I didn’t kill anyone, and a high-chaos ‘these fuckers are going down’ run. I only did the DLC once, though. I just have such a backlog. And it goes on sale all the time.

Game’s done. Credits rolling. Annoyed my first victory condition didn’t count and it just put me back in the game after a vision/hallucination/waking dream, but after several more hours with the game I was able to make my second favorite choice and apparently that’s that.

There’s still some open questions as it pertains to some apparent hallucinations/flashbacks/matrixy shit I kept getting, but I’m not inclined to replay the game to figure these out. If the Mooncrash DLC doesn’t address them I can just look them up online.

Err… did you write that while the credits were actually rolling? Did you stay for the after-credits scene? Because if you did, you shouldn’t really have unanswered questions (assuming you didn’t get one of the really bad endings, I think)

Yea, I wrote it while credits were rolling. And no, I didn’t stay for any stingers (after-credits scenes). I don’t do that sort of thing (thanks to a ridiculously long Matrix 2 credit sequence that taught me a valuable lesson some ten years ago or whatever). Youtube is for stingers.

Earlier I looked up the meaning behind the visions, and it doesn’t sound like I really missed anything anyway.

I was never very interested in the game itself, but only played through it because I had heard such great things about the Mooncrash DLC when it released (the roguelike elements etc) and I wanted to know what was happening in the world before diving into it. But the base game is annoying enough it’s put me off playing the DLC for now, so I’ll be setting it aside and will get back to it some time later.

The post-credits ending is almost really the point of the game. It isn’t a non-interactive ‘stinger’ like a Marvel movie. It’s an interactive cutscene that answers all your questions, and why they just let you reload to get the ending you wanted (hint: it didn’t really matter- it’s what you did during the game that counts, not the ending).

Earlier tonight, I read what it is. If it were that important it would have been included in the game proper. I don’t feel like I missed out on anything by skipping it. I care as much about it as the guys who duct-taped it to the end of the credits.

Okay. I imagine it’s different when you actually see/experience it instead of reading about it on some rando website, and I felt differently (obviously- scroll back to the thread a bit to see a bit more of my thoughts), but I’m not here to convince you. Tell us what you think of the DLC- I didn’t get to it yet.

Don’t forget to play Mooncrash DLC. It is inventive enough on its own.

If you haven’t picked it up yet, the Mooncrash DLC is $4 on Steam this weekend.