Assassins Creed 4 Pirates

Not everyone. I dig what they’re doing with the historical stuff, don’t get me wrong, but it’s the crazyass SF/conspiracy shit they’re spinning around it that I find most interesting about the story.

I wasn’t going to respond to Ginger Yellow because of course he/she doesn’t literally mean “every other gamer” but my first thought was the same as malkav11’s. The bizarre conspiracy crap is the spice on top of the ongoing historical conflict between the Assassins and Templars, and I think the series would be lessened without the present day stuff.

Man even with elite upgrades, the legendary ships are bastards.

I went to try the two man of wars. One of them dies pretty fast thanks to my heavy shot and swivel gun upgrades. At this point though i’m at about one full bar of health. Then the enemy rams in to the side of me instantly killing me.

There is a warning that they are going to ram you, but like all legendary ships, they go about 50% faster than you so you can’t exactly dodge this attack.

Maybe if i try to kill the other one first it will work better.

I don’t think there is any reward for killing legendary ships (other than money which is useless now as i have nothing to spend it on), but i’d still like to do it i think.

I might just abandon them if i cant kill them all in an hour or two tomorrow. The game has been quite fun, but i’m not going to be sorry to end it tomorrow.

p.s. those underwater sequences… I really don’t like them. The controls are super awkward and that is a huge problem because literally everything down there wants to kill you. There also isn’t crap you can do about it.

I’ve never attempted a legendary ship, but isn’t a key part of the fight luring them into range of your forts?

-Tom

No, you’re fighting in a limited space arena basically and leaving it will desynchronize the mission.

You should fight them, Tom! My favorite part of the game.

How to kill the Legendary Duo:

If you haven’t figured it out

As you’ve noticed, once you kill one, the other lights itself on fire and goes berserk and kills you quickly with super-rams and super-broadsides. The trick is to get them both down to very low health, defeat one, then quickly defeat the other before it destroys you. Focus firing on one ship is a mistake!

Ah that makes sense, almost like a boss in world of warcraft. Thanks.

My first thought was indeed to lower the number of enemies facing me by immediately taking one out of the fight.

I don’t think you can do this.

The fights reset (ie the ship disappears and appears back at the start location with full health) pretty aggressively if you get too far from the ship’s set location. They most likely did this precisely so you couldn’t kite them back to your fort for some help i’d imagine.

Sounds like a bug in the simulation.

I just got to this part of the story last night- it’s slightly easy to miss. In the bit where you have to hack your bosses’ computer to get his itinerary, the required info is on the first page, at the top of a long email chain describing potential future ‘products’. I thought it was pretty funny, and im glad they seem to be shying away from 20th century stuff.

Managed to beat the legendary ships.

I wish they had put a little more thought in to these fights. They took one step towards doing so by making them each have some unique aspects, but it sucks that they had to resort to making these HUGE ships faster than the fastest gunboats. It kind of makes the fights a joke when this ship that is like 10 times bigger than you suddenly starts moving/maneuvering like a modern day jet ski.

The double man of wars was probably the worst for this. I’d get one down a bit in health, then when i try to go after the next one, it SPEEDS away while the i’m shot by the other one. Who exactly is in the fast brig and who is in the slow man of war here?

I wish there was some way to increase ship speed. Getting all of the upgrades makes your ship do a ton more damage, but you really can’t take THAT much more damage and you can’t change your speed*.

Note that you do get a special reward for killing all of the legendary ships, a special ability which is hugely overpowered. I one hit a frigate with it to test it out.

Still, these were fun fights.

Of course then i went back to the story missions and had one of the worst yet. Yet another stealth persuit mission. You sneak after another boat through a swarmp both on foot and on ship. There are tons of invisible walls where a small branch will block you and you can’t climb it either. There are also crocodiles in the water. This was the mission that made me realize that your darts are kind of buggy in the water, sometimes not working when the target cursor is red.

Sure, but I’m not wondering ‘where do they go from here’ from a time standpoint. But what seems to be fun for most people this time around is all the tooling around in the ships, and general pirating, and whatnot. Doing a game in the French Revolution or somewhere in Asia would be fine - but would concentrate a lot more on the aspect of the game that people don’t seem to like as much - the running around following the storyline and the other land-based stuff. That’s why I’m wondering where the game goes from here - how do they keep the stuff around the story - whenever it takes place - fun the way they have with AC4?

I’d think a western-type theme (Red Dead Assassin) could hold some promise.

The ground stuff could be fun if they made it less about the painfully bad eavesdropping and pursuit mission types.

Personally i’d like to see more alternate history stuff. They are quickly reaching a hard cap on actual time periods where this gameplay works at all, if they follow the actual history. Something like dishonored would be cool.

They could always make it a metal gear solid type game i guess, but those fancy hoods and hand daggers might have to go.

Hey does anyone think these games, as good as they are, would not be better if they ditched all the modern bullshit? I am sure I have brought this up before but it blows my mind this is a thing even up for debate. Its like Ubi is a privately held company and the son of the founder wanted this shit in the game, and so it is.

Wow, it’s like we didn’t even discuss that on this very page.

Has anyone else noticed that your crew’s verbal feedback while fighting forts is almost identical to their feedback during ship-to-ship fights? Their use of “scuttled”, etc. is weird in those situations.

Saw this on Reddit, so it CAN happen!

90% of the players think that, and since some AC games ago, it’s not exactly a new complaint, but an old one. At least in AC4 the modern part have much less focus and it’s basically optional.

Wired reviewer shares Murbella’s frustration. I’ll know for myself when I manage to get my hands on a PS4, not necessarily this year since they’re already sold out everywhere.