Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

Same here, I don’t know who voices her and modeled for her but god dammit I am looking forward playing as her eventhough normally I would choose a guy.

And gotta say this is the first AC game since AC2 that I am actually properly excited to play.

No, you can still play sneaky stealth but that is no longer the emphasis.

I didn’t think it was too much of an emphasis in early games either. At least, not the way I played it. Stealth in AC games always involved blending in with a crowd, as opposed to hiding in shadows like traditional stealth games, and depending on the circumstances, blending in with a crowd wasn’t really possible in a lot of missions unless the mission designer specifically wanted it to be an option.

My first real AC game was Black Flag and I stealth’d through most of that game. But I enjoyed the combat when I got discovered, as well, and was glad being found or blowing my cover wasn’t an instant fail state.

Someone was able to stitch the whole map together:

Lots of sailing confirmed!

Yeah I read this is basically the ‘Black Flag’ version of Origins. Those are my two favorites in the series so I’m totally on board with that. :)

Time to drop the AC name from these, then.

Yes, that’s going to happen, I’m sure.

Someday you might break your smartass reply filter, I’m sure.

The ships seem to move like those rubber Zodiacs.

They did research, boat dodge was a valid tactic 2400 years ago. Sadly it was thought lost to the passage of time, until now!

Looking at all the added systems its like someone at Ubi said, the game needs more stuff, add all the Ubi stuff that can be added!

I wonder if they would spin off another series - a new RPG in one, and classic assassining with the established style and back story in the other.

They’ll never go backwards. The sales figures for Origins was outrageously good.

I expect Ubisoft to push more open-world RPG combat for the AC series.

I realize this, but we’ve reached the point where a game exists that has no hidden blades, is set before Origins, and has literally nothing to do with the Assassins. Maybe possibly this is the Templar origin, I suppose. It’s just a beat-em-up RPG loot game with an Ubimap now. There’s no AC in it, except for the inevitable sliced down to almost nothing modern day bits.

It’s disappointing to go from something like Brotherhood to this. They went the wrong way imho.

If I’m Ubisoft, I’m once again pointing to record sales of Origins and saying “I think we’re on the right track.” ;)

And I did spend the vast majority of my time in Origins sneaking around, at least.

How the hidden blade came about in Origins was worth the price paid for the game.

I hadn’t given it much thought, other than a passing confusion when I read in Game Informer this was a prequel to Origins that I dismissed as me misunderstanding the author, but now that you mention it again I have to admit it doesn’t make sense to me to put Assassin’s Creed in the title, then set it before the Creed even forms entirely. This really could just as well be Far Cry 6 - This Time it’s Greek, honestly.

I’m still pretty excited for it, I really liked the Origins gameplay model and some of what I felt was a little flat (the skill trees were mostly filled with fairly boring skills, for example) has been updated/addressed here. But I worry the story elements (building up to the Creed) that kept me interested in Origins will be weak enough here I may well run the risk of losing interest after 15-20 hours. I guess we’ll see what we see when reviews drop. I’ll still pre-order because the gameplay itself will be fun enough for me, I think.

I have to also bring this up - I saw a developer interview where they talked about last years AC game going more RPG like and how they were happy to see that team doing what they were doing with Odyssey, then we see gameplay and it’s not just a heavy influence, it’s out right the exact same game. That’s bullshit, right? These guys basically saw the success of Origins and were told to apply as much of that to Odyssey as they could, right? Or are we to believe two teams came up with almost the exact same mechanics and ways to shake up the AC gameplay formula independently of one another? I mean, not that I mind terribly given I liked Origins and this one looks fun, as well, but why try to spin it that they came up with this on their own like that?

Don’t know about that last point but Far Cry is an FPS right? This is the third person melee series. When they merge them to form Assassin’s Cry, they’d better keep both those options :)