Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

I recently listened to an interview with Ashraf Ismail, AC:O’s game director (here; it’s a really good interview), in which he referenced Witcher 3 several times. Clearly he and his colleagues are trying to learn from what made W3 so successful, particularly when it comes to quests.

Has it occurred to you that’s what they want it to be?

Eurogamer think it has great writing. I want to believe…

Also…

“A more traditional experience. Markers are displayed at all times, and quest objectives are given to you automatically.”

Or

“A newer approach to playstyle. The user must investigate the world to uncover targets and quest objectives. This is the way Assassin’t Creed Odyssey was meant to be played.”

The setting and RPG elements both hook me on this, so I’m probably a day two guy for this game.

In many ways – if the prerelease buzz is to be believed – it feels like this is a very post Witcher 3 game construction.

Must … resist … hype machine … when Origins is still sitting on my PS4 basically untouched.

If they can implement exploration mode in an interesting way, it will be a huge step for games of this type. If they do I can see myself getting this in early 2019.

One of the senior quest designers on Witcher 3 is quest lead on this. So yeah.

As someone else said, if exploration mode means turning on your hawk and scanning the landscape, that won’t be so cool. Fingers crossed :)

Season pass stuff. You get AC3 Remastered.

More and more tempted to pre-order this game.

Interesting. So they’re adding daily and weekly content, like in Destiny, but in this case, it’s all single player content for a single player game. It almost makes me want to skip AC3 through AC:O just to see how this experiment of theirs in player engagement for a single player game works out.

Edit: Has this been done for an exclusively single player game before? It probably has, and it’s just not coming to mind right now.

AC:O has similar stuff.

Edit: Also, it’s interesting that there’s been no mention of a “Discovery Tour” history mode like the one that was released for Assassin’s Creed: Origins. Ubi even sold it separately for $20 and tried to get schools to buy it.

I wonder if that turned out to be a money pit for them?

Wait, if Origins is AC:O what are we shorthanding Odyssey?

AC:I(liad)

Looks like you get remastered Liberation too.

Discovery Tour…

AC: Odd