Assassin's Creed: Origins - 2017, Ancient Egypt, hawk spotter drone

But you get some nice authenticity. I believe that’s the same headphone design the ancient Egyptians had for their headphones.

The headphones just play the bangles on repeat, that’s why the guy in @Telefrog 's post looks so sad

and a new trailer:

and a no HUD/hardmode video:

Damn it, I was not planning to buy this on release. Stop posting cool stuff, guys.

I’m excited about the supposed “spectator” mode that turns off violence and collectibles/events and allows you to wander the world as a sightseer. My daughters are really interested in Egypt and will love it!

From the more recent previews, it seems some tweaking has been done to balance compared to the previews a few weeks ago. Character levels and loot quality matter a lot more now. A couple levels difference between the player and the NPCs can make fights a cakewalk or an impossible slog.

That’s how it was in Syndicate though, unless I’m missing something.

Nah. I finished Syndicate at the beginning of the year, and I was able to clear the map of gang territory (not story missions) when I was still around level four or five. I could easily kill level 9-10 dudes by dropping on them, sneak kills, sniping them with thrown knives, and using gas darts. Even the gang boss fights were doable with parries.

In AC: Origins, you can’t do that. Headshotting a baddie with an arrow may not kill him if he’s a couple of levels above you, and it definitely won’t kill him if your gear sucks. Air assassinations and sneak kills depend on gear and levels too.

Oh, I don’t like that, especially the headshot business. Going to make this game feel like an MMO.

But this is the first AC game with difficulty levels, so … Just play on easy. :)

There’s that too. I guess Ubi knows that there’s a portion of their AC audience that isn’t looking for really challenging combat. They just want enough to feel awesome as an assassin.

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes, I just want to jump out of haystacks and kill fools.

Yeah but there was always an element of, if not skill at least a little finesse, of timing at least in the combat system. You were rewarded for choosing opportune moments and locations to launch an attack, and could parry your enemies’ attacks to come out on top. It felt like being an assassin (I mean, I assume). If it’s just “dude with the best stats wins” I’ll lose a little interest.

From PC Gamer preview:

“We left Assassin’s Creed as an action series, now it emerges from its two-year hibernation as an RPG in The Witcher 3 mould, complete with levelling, skill trees, an extensive loot system, and crafting.”

This is the only reason i want Assassin’s Creed! I hope/pray these aren’t gated by the actual gameplay.

One of the best “pseudo-AR” apps about the Pyramids i’ve seen is this one by Touch Press (all of whose apps are great, btw, The Waste Land is a must-own). Truly an amazing thing to see some of these stucco tomb paintings augmented and narrated around the Giza complex. The Pyramids themselves are almost an afterthought.

I think my favorite Assassin’s Creed was the New Orleans one. I liked the one set in Constantinople for the setting but was pretty bored of AC by that point.

Just FYI - It’s not going to be present at launch. Ubi says Explorer Mode will come as a free update in early 2018.

Well, off the list until then!

Is that Liberation? That’s the only one I haven’t played. Except for those 2D games, but pssh.

Hmm.

Starting September 1, purchasing collectible Assassin’s Creed Origins co-branded Monster Energy 24-ounce cans, 4-packs, or 10-packs will get you a code that you can redeem for in-game cash, animal or world resources for crafting, or even one of four exclusive weapons you won’t find during normal play: the Dust Biter sword, the blunt Face-Breaker, the Scepter of Thaati, or the Rain Bow (a predator bow with a first-person viewpoint that makes it ideal for sniping).

I need to get back to Black Flag and finish it already. The last story mission I did was the one in which we learn that a certain androgynous pirate is in fact (gasp) a woman!
Don’t know how close that is to the end.
In the meantime I’ve played some Syndicate and, just this weekend, a bit of Revelations (for which they changed the English-language voice actor to one whose Italian accent is distractingly hit and miss, so I switched to Italian VA – though that feels weird for the Istanbul setting).

Was this posted yet? The map is just ridiculous in size. Equivilant to AC4 Black Flag’s map, but mostly land this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFwgGXzRSwI