Assassin's Creed: Origins - 2017, Ancient Egypt, hawk spotter drone

Hard pass

Is this Ancient Egypt, or Roman Egypt? I keep seeing signs that it might be either in the trailers.

I mean, why not? It sounds cool, and no less ludicrous than the Abstergo/apple of eden mumbo jumbo from the rest of the franchise.

It’s definitely Roman Egypt, but based on Syndicate it could well be ancient Egypt too.

I know the main campaign story is specifically Cleopatra versus her brother, and the coming of Julius Caesar. The main bad guys are supposed to be the priests and advisers of Ptolemy XIII. I assume one of the baddies will be Pothinus.

Cool, thanks @telefrog and @Ginger_Yellow for the info. I agree that I think I’ve seen stuff in some videos that suggest there may be flashbacks to ancient Egypt in there, but maybe that’s an out-of-context misapprehension on my part.

Roman Egypt gives them a lot of very interesting avenues to take this.

If the dlc is the same quality as what I have seen in AC Syndicate, I am gonna get it for sure.

I don’t know that I necessarily have a problem with fantastical content and, generally speaking, I am quite pro-undead. It just seems a bit odd that here we are maybe ten games into the franchise and hey, here are some zombies/mummies! This strikes me as slightly different than the Apple of Eden because that was always presented as First Civilization (pseudo) science. This may seem like splitting hairs and maybe there’s a totally reasonable explanation for it all, it just seems a little odd to me.

Thankfully, the assassin in Egypt killed them all or sent them back to the underworld and hastily hushed up the secret so thoroughly that even current assassins have only just discovered what really happened.

There.

Fine, call me crazy, I actually like my lore to take a stab at internal consistency.

Yes, for back-story lore that’s fully, air-tight consistent from game to game, Assassin’s Creed has been the gold standard up until now. ;)

I mean, with aliens building the pyramids around then - they could have brought mummies and undead from another solar system.

Ubisoft has always loved the drug-induced fantasy battle levels. Look to the Far Cry series starting with 3 as an example. Syndicate had it with the Springheel Jack missions. Since the bad guys in Origins are going to be the priests, I wouldn’t be surprised if all the mystical stuff takes place in Bayek’s mind as a battle of wills brought on by drugs. They haven’t been shy about showing the priests and their incense.

If it is actual undead and giant snakes and scorpions rising up in Egypt, then yeah, that would be inconsistent with the rest of the series.

OK, I recognize I’m getting into dead horse territory here, but one more post then I let it go.

I think one thing the AC series has done well and doesn’t get a lot of credit for is the interesting universe it’s created. Now it’s always been totally upfront about the fact that its universe is absolutely batshit insane. I think one reason the AC games do so well is because a lot of that insanity is kind of undercurrent, at least in the more recent games. You’ve still got world-controlling, history-spanning secret societies, but the Apple of Eden and stuff like that is kind of in the background.

I mean, look at Black Flag. Everyone talks about how awesome the ship-to-ship combat is, how awesome it is to be a pirate! And that’s cool but the thing I liked best about Black Flag was that it introduced the concept of sages - reincarnations of a dead First Civilization member. Each reincarnation tended to be a bit batty due to the memories of past lives manifesting. They also had affinity for their old technology and were highly sought after.

I thought that was cool and it als fit into the existing framework, even if it was kind of nuts. Especially because it was kind of nuts. Now, undead, giant scorpions, ancient Egyptian gods? OK, I can buy that, but where did this come from? I’m sure 95% of the folks who will play this don’t care, but I do!

Where did it come from? The Mummy, obviously.

I’m with you. One of the reasons I love the AC franchise is how they try to explain everything. They even explain HUDs and invisible walls and health bars, and you name it. A lot of people don’t care about that stuff, but I just eat it up. I love that they have an explanation for everything. More games should do that.

You guys realize you fight THE GODS of EGYPT in this game, right? It’s been shown in some of the trailers!

:D

I’m also concerned they may be getting the details wrong, may be taking this leveling business too seriously. For instance, in this article they’re saying that the hidden blade may no longer be a one hit kill. That maybe Bayek, if he’s too low a level, isn’t “strong enough” to instantly assassinate someone. What? The reason the hidden blade is a one hit kill is because it’s a hidden blade, you’re striking at someone’s weakness from a position of secrecy. Not anymore, I guess.

Gamestop tells it like it is.

DLC timeline