Assassin's Creed: Unity - Vive la révolution!

My top dream choice settings are Russia during the Bolshevik revolution, China during the Qin Dynasty (aka the Warring States period), feudal Japan, and Ptolemaic Egypt. So I am definitely down for this.

As for the actual game, the French Revolution is an interesting period for sure. Lots of neat architecture, the Tuileries Palace looked nice in the demo, there’s the palace of Versailles, some ancient Roman structures, Paris itself, and so on. So I’m intrigued. Thing is they churn the games out too damn fast. I don’t have much time, and I lost the thread of the games after Brotherhood. I’ve meant to pick up Revelations and Black Flag, but haven’t yet. At this point I’d probably even skip Revelations completely, though my fascination with Greco/ Roman history means I do find the area intriguing.

Still it seems the series is mostly adding to places where my interest isn’t. New animations? Meh. I simply don’t care about shinies, and it seems there is more focus on upgrading those than the underlying game. After all with the yearly release schedule how could it not? Could we also spot for some good writing too? I know the whole thing of the game is the Assassin vs Templar battle, but it’s taken some of the most interesting socio political environments in history and turned them into nonsensical mush. I fear it’s too much to ask, but I’d love to see the conflict of the French Revolution NOT turn into Louis XVI was bad because he was a Templar, and the Assassins incited revolt.

Don’t sell the developers short! They make changes to the gameplay with each iteration. Minor in the AC2 sub trilogy, but AC, AC2, AC3, and AC4 show significant evolution. Black Flag has the whole pirate ship angle, AC3 added the natural environments and overhauled the control scheme, combat, and stealth. And Unity looks to be making some changes as well (see the commentary video above), with harder combat, a 1:1 scale for the city, new navigation moves, etc.

That said, they are all obviously part of the same series, so if you just don’t like Assassin’s Creed, well.

As for the story, let’s just say it’s not Ubisoft’s strong suit. I liked the AC3 story, but mostly they are, as you say, mush.

I’m also a huge AC fan/apologist, so don’t mind me.

No! It’s not that I didn’t like the AC games, I quite loved 2 + Brotherhood. It’s just that, mechanically, there are some flaws that hadn’t improved. things like mission structures. Plus the narrative structure really just started to fail for me. Namely that everything is either ‘a templar did it’ or 'an assassin did it. But I like the tour through history, I like the hidden glyph puzzles, I like climbing over everything. There are many things I like, it’s just that as static as much of it seemed, many of those little inherent flaws would really grate on me with the annual release.

That said Black Flag has been very interesting to me since it breaks with much of that it seems. I do intend to play that. Unity seems to go back to the rote repetition though. We’ll see.

I’m tired of the Assassin’s Creed formula, plus while watching the videos, I kept thinking “Well, I’ll never have that experience because I’ll never get three buddies online at the same time, nor would we ever be that coordinated.” Unity is just going to be a singleplayer game to me, so one of their biggest selling points means nothing.

I think even with just one other person it could be pretty cool. My concern will be trying to find that one other person…

Anyway, I’m still super stoked about it, although I’m still a few games behind in the series. I really need to get to Black Flag though.

I was watching the Ign stream and there was a video about the making of AC Unity. In there, there was a bit more of info. They commented how the combat is harder to please the people who play the games more actiony, how the stealth has been revised, how the missions don’t use the previous “broad linear design” (their words) and how the city is a bit more systemic. All sounds good, in other words.

Minutes later, I also found this

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-unity-9-things-need-know/

1. Everything Is New

Assassin’s Creed Unity isn’t just an iteration on the previous Assassin’s Creed. This game has been rebuilt from the ground up specifically for the next-generation of consoles and the latest PCs. “Because of these new-gen consoles, this is the first time that we can fundamentally change a lot of the core mechanics and a lot of the stuff under the hood in terms of engine, game mechanics and actual game structure,” says Creative Director Alex Amancio. “So this is what Unity is. It’s not a reboot. It is a reinvention of Assassin’s Creed for this next generation.”

1. Including the Parkour…

One of the biggest changes: the ability to navigate down a building. Previously, you’d climb up a building, race across the rooftops, then find a convenient haystack for a leap of faith, landing safely on the ground below. “We wanted to avoid having haystacks all over the place and doing that special move all the time,” says Senior Producer Vincent Pontbriand. “Controlled descent is more exciting. It also allows you to do things that are different each time. This also adds to the sense of joy of being free and doing whatever you want.”

You’ll need that extra freedom of movement, as the buildings are now all designed at a 1:1 scale. Acrophobics, beware: You’ll really feel that height when you’re standing atop Notre Dame, staring out over the city.

And that’s just a small taste of how navigation has been overhauled. The way an Assassin will move through Paris will be radically different than in previous games – but we’ll have more on that later.

1. …And the Stealth…

From how the enemies react when they spot you, to how you sneak around Paris, stealth gets a full makeover. That includes a new stealth stance, which changes how Arno moves and alters how he sees the world. In fact, stealth is once again at the center of the experience, thanks to some radical changes to the gameplay. After all, as Amancio says, “Assassin’s Creed is first and foremost a social stealth game. You’re an Assassin. You shouldn’t be Rambo.”

1. …And the Combat

Speaking of Rambo, when it comes to combat the team went back to the original core values of the game – but then executed everything on a next-gen level. “We actually made combat a little bit harder than before,” Pontbriand says. “The Assassin is still a very, very strong fighter. He can easily dispatch an individual or a couple of guards or enemies. But we also wanted the game to be a little bit more realistic.”

Enemies are both smarter and tougher, but so is the Assassin. Button mashing will no longer work when facing a large crowd. A savvy Assassin will have to rely on a combination of stealth, planning and all the tools at his disposal to handle certain situations. “It’s more fun because there are more tactics involved,” Pontbriand promises.

1. Mission Uncontrol

Mission structure has also changed. Or, to put it more directly: missions no longer have a set structure. In previous games, you’d be given a defined set of goals. You’d achieve them, or you’d start over – either at the beginning of the mission or at an appropriate checkpoint. Assassin’s Creed Unity introduces something called Adaptive Mission Mechanic (AMM) – which is exactly what it sounds like.

To explain AMM, Amancio lays out a typical scenario from previous games. Let’s say you’re tailing a Templar target; if you get spotted, the mission might be over. That’s no longer the case. “We’ve opted for a different philosophy where we won’t tell you Tail this guy,” Amancio says. “We’ll just maybe tell you Figure out where he’s going.” That means you can tail him if you like – and if you get spotted, the tail could turn into a chase. If you lose him altogether, your goal switches to locating your target. If a riot happens to break out and your target is killed, then you can loot his body to, say, find a letter that tells you where he’s going. “So it’s really up to the player to figure out how he’s going to do this,” Amancio says.

Of course, there’s much more to AMM than this. It’ll never be as simple as choosing the easiest path (i.e., killing every target and looting their bodies) because that could have serious repercussions in the world. “If a guy is missing, maybe they’re going to double up patrols in your next mission. So there’s a risk. It evens itself out.”

1. Say Hello to Arno

Every Assassin finds his way into the Creed in his own way. For Arno Dorian, his journey is about redemption. “Arno was witness to a great loss,” Amancio says. “He feels responsible for that. He feels that he could have prevented it, and he didn’t.” So Arno seeks out the Assassins in the hopes of acquiring the means to prevent the corruption that hurt him from hurting other people.

1. Paris Bound

Assassin’s Creed Unity is set in Paris during the French Revolution – one of the bloodiest, most chaotic periods in world history. This was also a time that set the stage for the modern era, changing everything that came afterward.

But history lesson aside, Paris during the French Revolution was also a bustling, dense city, with amazing architecture and a diverse population. There are various factions in the world, groups of people who will interact with each other – and who the player can use to his advantage. And there are moments when you might see crowds of up to 5,000 NPCs on screen, as opposed to 150 or so that you might find at maximum in previous games.

Assassin’s Creed Unity also introduces interiors. Yes, you can enter buildings throughout the city – some of which will be simple interiors, with others being fully decked out settings for missions. “It’s a game-changer for us,” Pontbriand says. “You can explore Paris inside and out.”

And under. The catacombs of Paris will also be available for players to explore.

1. Slay Together

Along with the single-player experience, Assassin’s Creed Unity also let’s up to four players join up and take on story-driven missions within their game world. “Each mission is a self-contained story, which means that we picked different really cool elements of the French Revolution and built a huge systemic mission around it,” Amancio says. And each of these missions can be played multiple times, tackled in multiple ways, offering a different experience depending on how many of your Brotherhood join, and how they’re customized…

1. Choose Your Own Assassin

…Yes, customized. “We have a fully customizable Assassin, who can evolve over the course of the game,” Pontbriand says. “So as you complete missions, you’ll earn skill points, which you’ll be able to spend upgrading your skills.” Unity includes different skill trees for stealth, combat and navigation; it’s up to you how you spend those points. And you can also further customize your Assassin with different gear, offering even more diversity in how you play. This customization fully crosses over from the single-player to the co-op and back again.

BONUS! Present Day

Yes, there will be a present day – but we’re not talking about it yet. We did, however, get one tasty tidbit out of Amancio. “It’s very different than anything you’ve seen in any of the past games,” he says. “Black Flag was different. This is more different.”

Could’ve fooled me regarding the combat and stealth being revamped.

Mission structure has also changed. Or, to put it more directly: missions no longer have a set structure. In previous games, you’d be given a defined set of goals. You’d achieve them, or you’d start over – either at the beginning of the mission or at an appropriate checkpoint. Assassin’s Creed Unity introduces something called Adaptive Mission Mechanic (AMM) – which is exactly what it sounds like.

To explain AMM, Amancio lays out a typical scenario from previous games. Let’s say you’re tailing a Templar target; if you get spotted, the mission might be over. That’s no longer the case. “We’ve opted for a different philosophy where we won’t tell you Tail this guy,” Amancio says. “We’ll just maybe tell you Figure out where he’s going.” That means you can tail him if you like – and if you get spotted, the tail could turn into a chase. If you lose him altogether, your goal switches to locating your target. If a riot happens to break out and your target is killed, then you can loot his body to, say, find a letter that tells you where he’s going. “So it’s really up to the player to figure out how he’s going to do this,” Amancio says.

Of course, there’s much more to AMM than this. It’ll never be as simple as choosing the easiest path (i.e., killing every target and looting their bodies) because that could have serious repercussions in the world. “If a guy is missing, maybe they’re going to double up patrols in your next mission. So there’s a risk. It evens itself out.”

Holy fucking fuck, if this works it could be amazing.

Yeah, we will see, of course.

But in general terms, I think Ubisoft open world games has improved with the years. AC1 was really bad! AC2 was better, but still didn’t click with me totally. I liked AC4, first AC I could finish. Far Cry 3 was also a good experience, at least in the moment to moment gameplay if not in some repetitive activities and tasks. And I liked Watch Dogs, their best sandbox game for now. So it seems and upwards trend.

I finished & enjoyed AC1-ACB, but skipped ACR to start on 3. However I’m kinda bogged down somewhere in Boston in AC3 as Connor and losing interest. Most people have said that 3 was disappointing anyway, so not too motivated to push on through. Hoping for a new angle on the formula, so whats the thinking here: Would it be worth just waiting for Unity or should I give 4 a shot?

Entirely depends on how much the pirating aspect appeals. If sailing an upgradable ship around the Caribbean while hunting down military & merchant ships for plunder and resources sounds good, then go for 4. If not, wait for Unity.

Thanks… The sailing bits in 3 are pretty fun! Might just snag 4 on a sale then…

There is no PvP in Assassin’s Creed Unity.

…there…is no god…

4 is much better than 3 when it comes to gameplay - at least assuming you like the idea of a whole lot of pirate ship combat.

4 also pretty much throws story out the window. It’s still there (and still terribad) but the game pretty much expects you to ignore the story and concentrate on the piratin’.

AC4 is no different in the gameplay essentials, they just took the ship-to-ship combat of AC3 and expanded it into an open world (or ocean) that you could sail from place to place. In a way, the AC3 experience was better for that, in that it boiled the ship gameplay down to the best parts, which involved blowing the hell out of other ships or forts.

Fuck you, Ubisoft.

THEY ALL LOOK SO GOOD

I BETTER GET THEM ALL

Oh, this is somewhat mild. What infuriates me is exclusive missions for different retailers/editions.

Seriously though: a spear? That’s pretty cool. Haven’t seen those since AC2.

This parkour fan film is definitely worth three and a half minutes of your time. Good stuff. I’m more impressed by the camera work than I am with the parkour.