Atomic Heart - Soviet Bioshock

A nice round 70.

Well crap :)

Yeah, that’s about what I felt watching the trailers. You can usually spot a “decent but flawed” gaming experience when you watch it in action, I find. This does look like it is going to be fun, but I never really got anything on the level of depth a BioShock type game would have given me - this felt more like Doom 2016 but with robots and such. Still, an 81 average is quite a lot of critics that really liked it, in theory, and I would still like to give it a try some time when my gaming plate is less full.

I’ll be for sure keeping an eye on this thread for word of mouth!

EDIT: OpenCritic has it at a 72 - that’s maybe significantly more “mediocre” than the 81 from MC indicates.

Some rought numbers there from GameSpot and TwinFire. I haven’t read anything, but I wonder what dragged it down for those reviewers in particular.

I’m the closest one with 82. Stop the count!

:P

Fucking OOF.

That does seem focussed on guide-making requirements rather than the gameplay. An interesting quote from PCGamesN:

Mundfish recommends playing with Russian audio and localised subs

as the English voicing seems weak.

Bad reviews make it an even better candidate for GamePass!

this hits one of the things I hate in games, huge blocks of non-interactive time with tiny windows of action. maybe it opens up later but super unfun for me for now.

embargos are usually more about making sure all outlets release at/near the same time and nobody has a huge advantage in timing vs hiding bad reviews.

Its a very Bioshock clone, so far on series x the game seems to have gotten a graphical downgrade (compared to early videos), but still looks very good. I wish i can switch to Russian language, the english is just 90s bad russian accent dub. Also the dialogue can be cringe (and im usually lenient on this stuff), some 90s Duke Nukem type dialogue, its weird like being put in time capsule, its a little detracting but it doesnt draw away from the gameplay.

Also I’m about two hours in, there is some heavy puzzle aspect in game, its like they pulled it from the recent God Of War reboot games…but with technology. Not difficult so far, but i can see it detract if youre expecting pure combat.

Also I think this game will likely look alot better on PC and play better. this totally feels like a PC game playing it on console, and it does work with mouse keyboard too! game shows promise so far, but oooh that dialogue while not terrible, just kind of weird the old pc gaming tropes in a modern game.

YES, I have to check, I wasnt sure if i could play with russian language. Maybe must have missed it on the trip to New Zealand… :-)

didn’t even make it an hour. between the pacing and the motion sickness I think I’m already done. :(

I played like 20 minutes, most of it spent just admiring the opening area and listening to people talk. I play in RU with english subs and do not find the dialogue cringy at all so far. It is perfectly fine.

I am enjoying it, but very curious to see how it develops further - and if I will agree with the negative reviews or not.

I’ve noticed in alot of console centric reviews you have to be careful with console warrior bias, it is a thing. I noticed it with recent games, so just a word of warning, some ppl want to bash any gamepass game or sony game because it is on said persons not console of choice. I used to think ppl were passed this, but its a VERY real thing. Even in the bigger media channels. And with the ABK deal its heated up alot on some of these places.

Just something to think about when reading reviewers. btw, I think Forspoken is decent once you can get past the cringey dialogue! just to show im not a xbox warrior lol.

Atomic Heart is worth playing alone for the art design imo … its rare to find truly original looking games.

Doom 2016 had a launch day review embargo, which is the point where I stopped automatically assuming such games would be a disaster. Doom 2016 is excellent.

However it’s still a red flag. This definitely sounds like it has some issues (albeit not with PC performance, which is a surprise)

I am thinking wait for a patch or two, then enjoy it on Gamepass. :)

Thanks for that RPS review. Mixed, but it really made me want to play it.

Well this is annoying. I was playing the game no problem, shut it down, and now when I launch it it redownloads 69GB for some reason.

Ah, gamepass. The wonders never cease.

“for some reason” : it’s an update they pushed. It would have happened too if you had it on Steam.