Avatar: The Last Airbender Live Action Movie - What a Twist!

Wow, the fire fleet doesn’t work at all in CGI. Everything looks totally wrong.

That seems a bit hyperbolic. I’d say the main problem is there are too many ships packed in close together, someone figured a really huge fleet would seem more impressive even if it’s not very practical.

But the ships themselves, at the distance they’re shot seem okay. Besides, the movie is a year away, they’ve got plenty of time to work on the CG.

The look itself is promising. Aang, his costume, the setpieces, and the Fire Nation fleet (I didn’t think it looked bad - in fact, it looked right out of the show). The problem is the little spinny move he does at 45 seconds in - that really does look like the Star Wars Kid. They need to speed him up or something. He’s a very impressive martial artist for his age, certainly way better than I could ever hope to be, but Aang needs to be impressive for any age. He needs to look as fast as Neo.

I really, really hope they don’t go too kiddie with the script. If they keep it dark, without overdoing the comic relief (though obviously there must be a significant amount) then it has a chance.

Today’s Penny Arcade is up, and is relevant, and must be seen by all in this thread whether you like Penny Arcade or not. I think they have hit on the only possible way to make the movie work.

We’ve been watching this series for the first time and are nearly at the end of Book 2. It’s a truly epic adventure, with a ton of emotion, and one that I cannot wait to see on the big screen. As long as the characters stay roughly equivalent, and they get Appa right… it could be really big.

I really love Appa.

Such a shame that Mako died during the creation of the animated series. He would’ve been perfect to play Iroh in the live action film.

I still predict this movie will be a disaster for anyone who loves the series. I have zero faith in Shyamalan, and what I’ve seen of the movie so far is not encouraging. Hope I’m wrong.

Lengthy trailer will premiere during the Super Bowl and be attached to Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

Posters…

Aang looks good. Zuko not so much. Why doesn’t he have his samurai topknot? It’s a plot point in the series!

Percy Jackson and the Olympians sounds like the name of a bad funk-rock back.

Agreed, Zuko should have the top-knot thought I’m so relieved he was recasted that I can almost forgive it.

IMO, the whole movie hinges on Iroh and Sokka. “Meat and sarcasm, that’s all I’ve got”.

I do wish they had gone ahead and casted Jason Isaacs as Zhao. He did great as the voice actor and is certainly well known enough to have pulled him off live action. Even Rufio as Zuko would have worked fine.

The Percy Jackson series is essentially Harry Potter meets the Greek pantheon (modern-day demigod children go to a special training camp to learn how to harness their powers and have adventures; the children belong to their specific god’s “house”, and there are house rivalries).

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/04/the-last-airbender-superbowl-tv-spot-new-footage-and-a-feast-for-blueorange-conspiracy-theorists/

new trailer.

That looks pretty damned good, I like most of the effects. If they play it straight (ease up on the anime aspects) it could be a bitchin’ action movie.

H.

The bending effects look pretty good, but that’s about it. I’d probably be more optimistic if it wasn’t Shyamalan.

That’s all that looks good? Their costumes are exactly the same as they are in the show, Ang’s a badass, they even show his chrysalis and it’s almost shot for shot the same as the animated series.

I mean, the acting might end up being atrocious, but as far as trailer go for a movie that almost everyone was worried that Shyamalan would ruin, I think it’s given a great go at it, and potentially could end up being very good.

There was even a glimpse of Appa in there - yeah!

I, for one, am looking forward to see what they pull off.

The most worrisome part about that trailer is where it says “Written, Directed, and Produced by M. Night Shyamalan”.

The movie is completely unnecessary. The animated series is going to beat the living shit out of it no matter how good it is because it’s an episodic story, not a two-hour one. I just don’t see the point. I mean, yes, I get that people want to make money and all, but the animated series is fantastic and I don’t see the need for what looks like a very overwrought live action adaptation.

I mean, the acting might end up being atrocious, but as far as trailer go for a movie that almost everyone was worried that Shyamalan would ruin, I think it’s given a great go at it, and potentially could end up being very good.

I don’t understand why people are being so optimistic based on this trailer, especially since it shows no acting or dialogue whatsoever. The kid doesn’t look a goddamned thing like Aang. They shaved his head and put him in the costume, but I just don’t buy it. He’s going to have to be pretty much the best child actor of all time to satisfy me in this. I realize these are unrealistic expectations, but that’s the price you pay when you decide to adapt one of the best animated series of all time into live action. How optimistic would you be if they made an animated movie out of The Wire?

To reach a greater audience with their art?

Translation: “Milk established property for more money.” No thanks.