Avoiding the scary bits - advice & requests thread

Hey. So I love movies but hate being scared. Sometimes what appears to be a great movie also has scary bits in it meaning I have to skip it or get advice on which bits are actually scary (so I can close my eyes , skip the scene or walk out for a few mins).

This kind of advice would hopefully be spoiler free but also give solid advice for the wuss watcher. For example. “In Alien if you dont like jump scares then leave when one of the characters is being held down on a table having spasms.”

Perhaps fellow softies can also make use of the thread.

Anyway to kick us off, I really want to watch Prometheus on Amazon tonight but I hear there are a few very scary scenes, and one in particular towards the end. Can anyone give me some tips & pointers as to when to skip? Any hints or tells that the scary bits are coming?

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Prometheus is not very good and I’d recommend just not watching it. But as to your question most of the scenes are fairly telegraphed, oh dumb scientists are playing with some alien snake thing however will this turn out?

Thanks! So the alien snake thing is a good time to skip then :) Yeah I have heard different things from different friends about the movie. Ranging from “worse than Alien resurrection” to “one of the best examples of modern movie making techniques out there”. Anyway if I dare watch it I will post in the Prometheus thread with my reactions.

Cheers!

Many many people will chime in / have chimed in on this point, but the most frightening thing about Prometheus is how bad it is. I would beg you not to see it.

Hmm. Ok good enough for me. I will pass :) Gonna read a SF book instead. Thanks!

Prometheus is an awesome movie, and folks who think otherwise are dirty lying liars.

But if you don’t like “scary” movies, it’s probably not ideal, since it’s part of the Alien series.

Opposing view: Prometheus is fucking terrible, and is yet another example of an old man, in this case, Ridley Scott, trying to demonstrate he’s still got it like in did back in Alien… and ends up pissing not only all over himself, but all over his earlier work, as well.

Kind of like Chris RoC(S(B**(S&JSLKS

NO CARRIER

And just for the hell of it - Prometheus is neither amazing or terrible, just fairly rote with really only one interesting character. Good effects though.

Just remember that the original Alien gave us the Sigourny Weaver SNL sketch with the line “The monster is only big enough to kill us one at a time. Let’s split up and look for it.”

I like using Prometheus as an example of someone who took a decent story idea and had no idea whatsoever how to develop it in a way that makes sense. From start to finish it’s chock full of stupidity. So I’d watch it, but only if I had nothing else better on my short list.

I like watching stupid horror movies on a lazy Saturday afternoon… that’d be a perfect time for viewing this movie.