Awesome things in otherwise crappy films

The remake of the Amityville Horror was a shocker but it had a great moment when all hell is broken loose and the girl from Home and Away is trapped on the roof looking into the house to see a creepy old man looking back out at her. In a horror film with almost no scares that one sequence has really stuck with me.

“There’s nothing out there”
I’m not sure whether to consider it a crappy movie or not, as it’s meant
as a parody of horror movies.

The plot is the usual monster thing, and one character is going on about how
everything feels like a bad horror movie. He’s finally proven right, and at
some point is cornered by the monster. His escape? He grabs hold of the
boom mic and swings to safety.

Once again, this doesn’t count because the entire movie is awesome.

Somebody brought up Jurassic Park 2, which is an awesome example of a truly shitty movie with awesome parts. The whole film was basically varying degrees of terrible except for any scene with the compsognathuses. It’s the worst of what are, in retrospect, three very bad films. This is probably highly controversial or even stupid, but I thought the third one was probably the best. It had the least amount of ‘where are the dinosaurs?’ filler, and most of the ‘child or children surviving against impossible odds’ bullshit was mercifully offscreen and before the story began.

The first 10-15 minutes of the first Resident Evil film kicked immeasurable ass. I was all into it and shit. And then…stupid.

Likewise the Danger Room sequence in X-Men 3.

Rocky 5 was retarded, but the end fight where he whups Tommy with street fighter tactics was pretty cool. What did you think, Tommy, you were gonna lace up gloves and fight 10 rounds? Dumbass.

Also that part in The Lady in the Water when…HAHAHAHAHA, just kidding. That whole film sucked.

I agree. They Live is fucking awesome. I saw it on network TV a little while back at like 2am and it still holds up.

How dare you

Now hold on, the original Jurassic Park was pretty darn good as I recall.

I thought so too, and then I saw it again recently. It’s not a complete loss, but there is some unforgiveable crap in there. Same thing happened with Burton’s Batman, only that’s a way worse film than JP.

Have you guys seen Chupacabra Terror? It’s worth Netflixing just for the Navy Seals outfits, which consist of painters’ overalls and bicycle helmets.

And also the part where the kickboxing instructor, played by superhot Chilan Simmons, kickboxes the chubacabra. Well, she kicks it, at any rate.

Also, she has one of the best Bad Movie Line Readings evar when she explains to the Navy Seals officer that what he’s just seen on his video monitor is a chupacabra.

Giancarlo Esposito’s accent is pretty good, too. As is Gimli’s gamely portrayal of a cruise ship captain.

Aw, fuck, who am I kidding? Can we just have a thread about awesomely bad movies with no redeeming value beyond their awesome badness?

-Tom, proud owner of a Chupacabra Terror DVD

The scene in Rat Race where Jon Lovitz, after a series of increasingly unlikely circumstances, winds up addressing a convention of WWII veterans dressed as Hitler. Trust me, it’s worth renting just for this scene.

The only reason the entire movie is awesome is that the rest is set up to and follow through from those scenes. if you take those out – and they were ad-libbed, not part of the script – the movie is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Rat Race had two other great scenes for me:

1. Rowan Atkinson jumps headlong at a speeding train… and inexplicabily catches it.
  2. The kid in the car explains “prairie-doggin’”.

And let’s not forget Cuba Gooding Jr’s greatest career moment:

“Oh sorry, I thought you were a woman.”
“I am a woman.”

There you go

‘Falling Down’ was a good movie but I remember feeling a bit disappointed when I saw it. Basically, every review, every description of the film summarised it as ‘ordinary white collar worker breaks under stress of traffic jam and goes on a rampage across Los Angeles’. But D-Fens wasn’t an ordinary white collar worker, he was a fucking looper before he got stuck in traffic: pretending to go to work every day for a month, prone to fits of domestic violence and so on.

We are NOT the same. I’m an American. You’re a sick asshole!

You are on crack, my friend. The bit where Piper puts on the glasses for the first time? The ending, with the alien Siskel and Ebert? Heck, I even like the whole vibe of the first act, with Piper trying to find work in L.A. OK, it’s not a first-tier Carpenter flick like Hallowe’en or The Thing, but it’s definitely a solid second-tier entry (like the hugely under-rated Prince Of Darkness).

Mind you, I loved Ghosts Of Mars so take that as you will.

I admit that I enjoy Carpenter’s work a lot, but it’s much like my addiction to Big Macs. I know when I’m eating shit, no matter how good it tastes.

Doesn’t all of Commando qualify for this thread? Because it’s an awful movie full of totally awesome things, but they’re only awesome because they’re so awful.