Awesome things in otherwise crappy films

“Look! An undead monkey!” BLAM!

The boat sinking in Titanic.

Kate Winslet’s jugs in Titanic. I think we can just take it as read that almost any occurance of jugs in an otherwise crappy movie qualify.

Jennifer Love Hewitt as the best-dressed vet dealing with tons of furry / hairy / slimy things in a mini-skirt in Garfield …

I loved UV’s garish day-glo visual style and action sequences: it was like every trashy 90s bad-girl comic-book cliche wrapped into a deliriously nauseating box of bon-bons.

And, in keeping with this thread’s mandatory sexist comment quota, Milla’s got a cute belly button. Just sayin’.

It was no Equilibrium, though.

The opening sequence of Solaris, up to Clooney’s first dream, I think is pretty cool overall. There’s this really cool, sci-fi-ish feel about it, very mysterious and Kubricky.

— Alan

I wanted to participate, but since I only watch awesome movies, such as Heat and Meatballs 2, I had to use an awesome scene from an awesome movie.

Solaris isn’t crappy, it’s great.

Just thought of another one: the courtroom scene between De Niro and Donald Sutherland in Backdraft, which is unquestionably a shitty, shitty movie except for that one scene. Sutherlands a famous arsonist, and De Niro’s testimony is what put him away. Every year he comes up for parole, and De Niro shows up to his parole hearing with pictures of the people he burned. “What did you do to this house?” “I burned it.” “What did you do to this family?” “I burned them.” “What would you do to the whole world if you had the chance?” “…I’d burn it.”

Awesome.

I actually like most of it but know I’m in a small minority; I knew most people hated it so I thought I’d bring it up :)

— Alan

“Well, surroundin’ 'em’s out.” John Rambo in Rambo III. Quite possibly the wittiest one-liner in cinema outside of the closing line of Some Like It Hot and “The fall will probably kill you.”

The soundtrack, fight scenes and cleavage in Mortal Kombat. Come to think of it, that whole movie is a terrific guilty pleasure.

I always liked the scene when Ramirez and McCloud wake up counting the bullets they’ve been hit with in Highlander 2 for some reason. I realize Ramirez had no business being in that movie with the plot the way it was, but seriously, would anyone have cared if it didn’t have Sean Connery?

And while I’m at it, Sean Connery, Christopher Walken, Willem Dafoe and William H. Macy in anything.

Boobies in any movie, with the Tawny Kitaen masterpiece The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak being the ultimate expression of this ideal. The only movie I saw as a teenager and, after the chariot race scene, finally considered the possibility that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Mmmm… Tawny Kitaen in 1984… :P~~~~

Moving on to obscure 1980s anime: Someone on the Games board mentioned Prefectural Earth Defense Force, and I recalled the scene with the Indian cyborg’s “I hate Japanese People!” In that same vein, the anime Assemble Insert’s defining scenes – the girls’ superhero tryout scene, and her first encounter with an attacking enemy mech.

It took me 3 days to remember the first one I listed, and then I just got going…

Oh! And the dragon war at the end of Dungeons & Dragons. And Thora Birch’s … sorry, wrong bad Thora Birch movie.

The fight scene in Mad dog and glory. Best movie fight scene EVER.

Oh, wait, I’ve got it! The winner! The best moment ever in an otherwise awful movie! And it has two of them!

• “I’m here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I’m all out of gum.”
Cripple Fight!

Ending of Boy & His Dog - you have to admit she had good judgement, if not particularly good taste!

;)

Of course, I think that movie is great …

The train wheels rolling off the truck in The Island.

The baby going thru the window at the beginning of Dead Calm…

Watched that over and over while drunk with friends once-- laughed so hard I was close to peeing–

I shall go to hell for that but man was it funny.

Do out-takes count? Because the out-takes from Gamera 2 are pretty awesome.

Hanatani: [watching Gamera being attacked by a swarm of the Symbiotic Legion creatures] “And He asked him, ‘What is thy name?’ And he answered, saying, 'My name is Legion, for we are many.”
Colonel Watarase: The Bible?
Hanatani: I just made that shit up.

Of course, Gamera 2 is a pretty awesome crappy movie in general.

Give that man a cigar! Good call.

I had fond memories of “Falling Down” with Michael Douglas but when I bought it for 6.99, it turns out it is a horrible movie and I was only remembering some of the good moments. For instance, the scene where he went crazy in the Korean’s mini-mart over the price of a soda, or where he went all loco on the vatos.

Batman & Robin: Took me a long time to think of bits of this stinkhole that I liked, but here goes: In the climactic battle (in which BatClooney struggles with Freeze at the Gotham observatory to melt city-threatening ice using satellite-mounted mirrors–whew), there are a couple of scientists who end up getting caught in the crossfire. As they hang onto the telescope while everything goes to pieces around them, the Chinese scientist shouts, “It’s gonna be one of those days!!!” That made me laugh, which was a nice break from all the vomiting.

That scientist was played by… the Korean mini-mart owner in “Falling Down”. And now you know the rest of the story!