Awesomenauts

I couldn’t find a thread for this. Anyone else playing?

http://www.awesomenauts.com/awesomenauts.html

It’s sort of a 2D fighter like Smash Bros. mixed with a MOBA like League of Legends. Came out on PSN and XBLA last night. My friend and I played for about 3-4 hours and had a blast. It doesn’t seem as deep as its inspirations (and only having 6 characters seem like a serious missed opportunity), but I enjoyed playing it for the time I did. Not sure how long it’ll hold up. Since Microsoft didn’t seem to be putting up any ads for it at all (it’s hidden away in the new games tab), the player base will probably be dead by the end of the week.

Still seems like a good game to have when you have a friend over and want to do a quick local bot match. If they port it to PC, triple the number of characters, and go F2P it might start catching on, though I’m not sure how long the game will be interesting for.

With the publisher (dtp) having filed for insolvency last week, I surely hope the dev team (Ronimo) gets its share of the money.

Also really enjoying this one. I’m on PSN if anyone wants a game.

Anyone having issues with games on xbox?

Recently I keep getting connection drops and the last 3 games I’ve tried to play have frozen my xbox.

This is now on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/204300/

Anyone bite? The Cynical Brit video made it seem like a lot of fun.

I bit, will post impressions later.

I like the tone and style a lot. It’s over the top and hilarious. Reminds me of Saturday morning cartoons and also of Sonic 2 on the Genesis, in a strange way. The characters are funny and strange, few of them as there are.

I can’t speak to balance, the only game I could find was populated by a premade team that was just owning whatever poor saps joined.

It reminds me of Soldat, if anyone played that, with a MOBA metagame on top of it. Pretty interesting blend of super-fast combat and strategy.

I played with the gamepad and did very poorly. I think keyboard and mouse offers some advantages in this game as far as moving in one direction and shooting in another.

I liked how nutty in general this game is. There is a giant worm at the bottom of one level that will devour you, for example. You spawn by hurtling straight down to earth in a rocket ship, weaving to collect gold coins.

The game starts with 3 (I think) characters unlocked, you have to earn xp through playing matches in order to get the rest.

I don’t know what the story is on the devs supporting this but the loading screens do tease a new hero coming out.

All in all, seems like fun. I’m going to play some matches against bots.

The music is great (and the theme song is just ridiculous).

Arise!

I bought a 3 pack during the thanksgiving sale & gifted a copy to my 8-year-old son. He’s clocked far more hours than me, but it’s a blast playing coop with him. For those out there thinking about coop gaming with kids, this is a great one: challenging enough for parents, fun for kids.

Different flash and action games are interesting to play these days like games that offer by Nintendo and Sega.

Kill the zombies

Is the Xbox version going to get any more hero love, or is it done due to publisher issues?

Oh no, are the new heroes not getting to the Xbox version? How many new ones have they gotten? I’ve been playing a really bad DOTA clone on the Xbox and I’m looking forward to getting back into Awesomenauts. I’d hate to think it’s not getting new content.

-Tom

I don’t see any of the DLC characters on the Xbox version yet.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Awesomenauts/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b5a

I will say that Awesomenauts on the PC is great. It’s my favorite MOBA.

Edit: I found the answer.

There have been a lot of questions about whether another console patch is coming, after July’s patch which already added Coco and Derpl for free. We cannot give a definite yes or no to that, but what we can say, is that right now we are not working on a console patch, and it would be very difficult to do another console patch. We hope explaining why will make our console players understand the situation a bit better. We cannot go into some details, because agreements with publishers and consoles require confidentiality, but we hope this gives you an idea.

Here’s an outline of the problems:
-Console patching/DLC is very expensive (although the reasons are more complex than simply that a certain console manufacturer may or may not charge a certain amount of money).
-Console patching/DLC is not just expensive, it also has some very severe technical limitations on certain consoles. We cannot go into details, but creating a console patch with the amount of changes we have would just be incredibly complex and thus a lot of work. For example, all the characters were remade for the PC version to allow for free-aim and we would need to use the new versions to get Raelynn working on console, making the patch very big, which is problematic on certain consoles.
-Steam patching is ridiculously easy. The patching there is so easy and inexpensive that it would be almost weird not to patch on Steam. Seriously, Valve did a fantastic job.
-The game sold fine on console, but it took us three years to make the game and thus a lot of money. Some people say we should spend our money to create console patches, but as a company we also need to make back our investment for development of the game in the first place.
-There needs to be a certain balance between how much it costs us to do a patch, and how much extra money through sales/DLC that patch makes. Because the whole patching story is so expensive on console, it is difficult to make it work financially.
-The Steam version is owned entirely by Ronimo, while the console version is done together with a publisher (DTP). That makes the finances and practicalities a lot more complex, and DTP being insolvent right now also adds more complexity to the whole situation. We cannot comment on any details, but let’s just say that it is a lot simpler to make business decisions for the Steam version.

To sum up:
Xbox got two of the DLC characters for free patched into the game in July.
Nothing after that.
Buy it on PC.

And yet the horrible Guardians of Middle Earth gets four $2 characters patched in to coincide with the release of the Hobbit movie. What a frickin’ boondoggle.

Thanks, Microsoft!

-Tom

Part of the problem is that the publisher they partnered with on the 360 version is insolvent, so they can’t do anything until that’s all settled.

Also FYI - The Steam version works just great with the 360 controller.

Tom, just pay a few bucks for the PC version and join us for some multiplayer fun. The game really works well on the PC with the 360 controller.

Oh, I have it on the PC as well. I just like being able to play in my living room, where I don’t really have any alternatives for DOTA games. On the PC, I have League of Legends and Demigod. But in the living room? Yeah, yeah, Steam’s big picture support. One of these days, I might give that a shot.

But the main problem is that I’ve already done a fair bit of unlocking on the 360 version. I hate losing that.

-Tom

You still aren’t using big picture mode? Unbelievable. Remember how you were all “iPad gaming whatever”. This is an even bigger deal.

Maybe QT3 should all pitch in to buy you a monoprice HDMI cable.

I played it for a while.

The map is very small and the number of players is small too. I think this handicap the fun you can have with the game.
All characters have his skills pre-nerfed. So the range class don’t have much range at all.
Movement is also slow, for the most part, and theres a lot of walking.

Considering everything, I hope somebody else try to make a 2D MOBA, but with other style. I am not old enough to walk this slow.

“Horrible”? <Sniff> Sure, Guardians of Middle Earth has warts (netcode ones), but I find it an enjoyable Dota living room experience. It seems to share a bit more than I originally thought with Demigod. I guess I need to listen to the last podcast to hear the real bashing.

Hey, this game is great! Is anyone playing on the PC? I just won my first game as…healer bot guy… and I had a blast!