Axes And Acres

Not exactly. I have it and have played it some. It’s sort of like Hoplite if you are familiar. The design is clean and it is attractive enough, but I don’t personally find it drawing me back in again and again, which is what this sort of game is intended to do (with the ever increasing difficulty).

If you are familiar with their stuff and like it, then it is probably a no-brainier. There’s nothing wrong with it, I just don’t find it super compelling.

You won’t lose rank as quickly as you win it, until some point (basically, it takes a couple of lost games to get it lower) - and you can put it back up if you feel the level you were thrown back to is too easy.
It used to be stressful, but they gave in to the casual players! J/K, I think it makes for the better experience, which is to try to aim for better levels, but without the stress of having to grind back up if you just want to play under @Chappers stout influence or something.

I liked Militia, but I played before there was Axes and Acres.
Axes and Acres and Minos Strategos are definitly my favourites of the four they released so far.

This. Skyboats seemed more of a puzzle game, and there is really no reason to play Militia when we have Minos Strategos.

[quote=“tgb123, post:43, topic:78417, full:true”]…there is really no reason to play Militia when we have Minos Strategos.
[/quote]

That was my thinking as well. @Brooski has mocked me for saying this in general and using the word as a verb in particularly, but I feel Minos Strategos is good enough that it obsoletes Militia. Why couldn’t they have put Minos Strategos on iOS? :(

-Tom

Obsolete as a verb has been around since the 1600s.

Thank you! I wouldn’t be surprised if it was invented as a verb first!

-Tom

My mockery of you has nothing to do with gramer, and everything to do with the concept of games making other games obsolete. “13 Days makes Twilight Struggle obsolete.” Uh, no it doesn’t, because if I want to play a game about the entire Cold War, then I cannot play 13 Days no matter how great it is. Pericles will make Churchill obsolete! Well, I guess, if it includes a time machine.

Why can’t you play 13 Days? And what does that have to do with whether I think it obsoletes Twilight Struggle?.

-Tom

Because the “entire Cold War” lasted longer than thirteen days? I feel like this is a trick question.

What bundle is that?

I thought I linked it. Here is it.

Bought. Thus is not usually the type of game I go for but it’s had a lot of positive feedback here and it’s hard to go wrong for $2.

Unless it’s Onirim!

Ouch.

This is the new media form of Tom Vs. Bruce?!

We are adaptable.

Oh, I see what you’re confused about now! You think that games aren’t related to each other by their mechanics, but only by the narrow confines of their particular subject matter. For instance, Caylus and Agricola aren’t comparable gameplay experiences because one is about a castle and the other is about a farm. So whereas most folks would say, “Hey, let’s play a worker placement game”, you would say, “Hey, let’s play a game about a castle”. Then you would decide whether to play Caylus, Citadels, or Castles of Burgundy.

I tend to group games into categories based on mechanics. For instance, if me and a friend want to play a card-driven historical game, both Twilight Struggle and 13 Days would be viable choices. But since one of them takes several hours, requires familiarity with the interplay among all the cards in a deck, and swings wildly based on the roll of a d6, my preference is for the game that doesn’t do those things. Therefore, my copy of Twilight Struggle has been “obsoleted” by 13 Days.

I feel that way about a lot of my games. I probably have about a dozen. maybe as many twenty categories of boardgame experiences, and each one is littered with games that have been obsoleted by other games. And you want to know the most obsolete of all games? Chess. Generic theming, poorly paced, two-player only, too much like a puzzle, uneven production values, one hit kills are unrealistic, and terrible black-and-white artwork.

-Tom

At least it’s balanced.

Not even: white have always been overpowered.

After taking a break for 4 days or so I returned and it didn’t get stale so that’s a good sign. The top scores list now shows your global rank. Mines 86 on the all time list - made it to level 12! I find that the most difficult phase to make is the first one, I sneaked in on the last turn, but made the other two pretty easily. After playing Stellaris, it felt good to play a game where each decision I made felt pretty important. I credit tgb123 for making me want this game, so thanks!

I’ve slowed down my pace of playing because the games keep taking a little longer. I failed my first game today, but won the 2nd to get up to level 17 and #41 on the top player list. The top player is at level 100 and the 2nd place player in the 50s. That seems crazy.

I can feel the difficulty starting to squeeze me and I just eeeked out my last victory. I may be approaching what I can win on a pretty consistent basis. This is such a good game - I like it more than I thought I would.