Baby Mama

You have lost “humorless lesbian” privileges, because this was funny. You should pitch a new show to some Hollywood nabobs!

Also: The A.V. Club | Pop culture obsessives writing for the pop culture obsessed.

Also: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=tina+fey&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

You just plummeted any potential interest I had, I thought she wrote this.

So is the movie worth it? Rotten Tomatoes gives it a very definite “kinda-sorta.” Strange to think the screenwriter of Thunderbirds and Undercover Brother has gone on to make a chick comedy, but there you go.

From the reviewer I trust most, he said it was pretty bleh, and that the only thing good in it is Tina Fey. So it seemed like most of the funny bits of the movie, as usual, were in the trailer. :P

I like this add better

http://whatamasterpiece.ytmnd.com/

There is an ad for this at the top of this page. Does Google do that? Does Google Ads to the banner ads to? Because that’s seriously fucking impressive.

There is an ad for this at the top of this page. Does Google do that? Does Google Ads do the banner ads too? Because that’s seriously fucking impressive.

Ah, that’s refreshing!
When you don’t want to see a movie AND it stars women, they are bitches and skanks!

Now I know what to tell my girlfriend when she asks me to go to romantic comedies.

We just saw this. It’s very cute and funny, and not all the funny parts are in the commercial. It is also extremely predictable. And if you are a he-man woman-hater or hardcore childfree, you will hate it.

Thanks for that. As more reviews have come out, the Tomatometer rating has been dropping like a rock, so we weren’t sure it was still going to be in the weekend plans.

For what it’s worth, early box office numbers indicate that interest in Baby Mama and Harold & Kumar are fairly low. Neither may manage a $20m opening weekend.

Probably 'cause neither movie could manage to get any couples in - I’m betting lots of couples went their separate ways to these movies. “I’ll meet you right here at 9, honey!” “Sure thing, sweetheart - enjoy your little weed movie!”

I saw this yesterday and it was surprisingly funny. Like, the whole movie was mostly funny. There were a few LOL OMG moments, too, including a joke with a spacecar.

However, I saw this because Harold & Kumar was sold out.

Yeah, it was good as spare parts. Overall, 100% star-driven and German precision-engineered formulaic. Steve Martin was making his absolutely horrid role work. Overall, Fey proved she can at least be typecast (yay?). She was a lot more human in Mean Girls.

There were maybe two parts of the movie that felt like they hadn’t been written by robots: Will Forte at the club, including the immediate events outside, and Sigourney Weaver’s running gag.

The decent: the baby fever at the beginning is 100% robotic stimulation of the baby region of the brain. It’s admirably shameless. Romany Malco’s gynocentric version of his character in 40 Year-Old Virgin had a couple of good lines.

The bad:
*Super Hollywood Ending with very Lifetime Network “laughs”. Thanks, ladies, you really brought the house, um, up.
*Fey and Poehler have too many scenes in Fey’s apartment or elsewhere where it’s just them, which wasted the rest of the cast for no reason as their professional/surrogate relationship went nowhere until the last five minutes of the movie.
*Amy Poehler’s husband is inexplicably redeemed-- well, I can explain it, but it’s entirely awful.

Harold and Kumar really doesn’t care (much) about box office totals, the theatrical run is almost a glorified ad campaign for the DVD run. It’ll do great home sales and rentals.

You can’t bring a bong to the theater…

Well, we just saw this, and I wish it’d been a better movie. It had potential, but the script was pretty hack. I hope the next time Tina Fey’s in a movie, it’ll be one she writes herself.

I saw this tonight (Iron Man was sold out, okay?) and I kept waiting for that line that both I and the girl I went with could laugh extra hard at and then look at each other and be all “oh man, we totally get it and therefore each other” (with body language) and then she could be all like “you are getting lucky, pal” (psychically).

Instead I didn’t laugh out loud once! The best part was seeing that asshole reporter from the Wire. The second best part was John Hodgman. Now it’s 1:30 AM and I’m posting on quartertothree instead of heroically failing to please a pretty girl in bed, and I BLAME YOU, TINA FEY’S AGENT.

With all the bad reviews and negative impressions, I went in with very low expectations, and I ended up enjoying Baby Mama. It had a lot of issues. A lot! But Steve Martin cracked me up, as did Amy Poehler. Even Dax Shepherd had me chuckling.
The plot was insane, and it tried to somehow find a way to squeeze in the romantic comedy formula and failed, but all in all it was enjoyable.
Tina Fey wasn’t funny. Her character was really poorly written, and it makes me sad to see talent wasted like that.