Backlog games you're finally picking up now (that're interesting)

Thaks for reminding me about this game. I played this very briefly in 2017, and it’s time to dive back in. But first I’m off to find a “let’s play” of the game.

Another game on my backlog is Elex. I loves me some janky Euro RPG action.

Oh yeah, I own coe4 and I’ve always meant to get into it. Any good tutorials?

This series had next to no viewers, but I thought it was pretty good. I watched the first few in my latest attempt to get into the game, and it helped.

Wow, that’s like 7 hours of video!

If you’re into the Witcher universe, the best way to play the game is to install a handful of mods that improve the game and then some mods to reduce the difficulty so that combat is never frustrating and you breeze past the fights with little effort. There’s obviously no challenge, but it’s still neat to see the story and get immersed some more in that fantasy world.

I watched the first one in full (just 21 minutes), and parts of the second and third, and that got me jump started. Mainly showing things to look for in examining the independents and AI classes, and explaining combat better.

I actually think it’s not hard to get into the game. It’s a pretty low effort RPG – you don’t need to design a character or anything. The hard part is just getting started and getting past the first castle. Accept the game for what it is (which is a little bit janky) and you’ll have a good time. Also good to remember that it’s based on a very heavily modified version of the Aurora engine from Neverwinter Nights, so even though they tried to make it into an action RPG, it’s still more clicking and timing based.

I gave Pato Box a try. It’s an indie game inspired by Punch-Out. And if it had mostly recreated Punch-Out–but with its striking B&W comic aesthetic–I think it would be great

Unfortunately, the game tries to add third-person action-y gameplay (dodging traps and punching random objects in a 3D space) to the mix, and also fumbles its re-creation of Punch-Out by giving enough attention to the mechanics of how opponents forecast attacks. It’s just not clear enough what’s coming at you.

Pretty disappointing.

Next up: Book of Demons!

Just played Gorogoa. Neat little puzzler, probably took a bit over an hour to beat. Relaxing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/557600/Gorogoa/

Wow, you already beat that? I’ve been playing that one on and off for over a year. I’ve gotten very stuck many, many times.

Yep, I didn’t get badly stuck at any point. They’re very visual puzzles.

I was so bad at that game that I refunded it after 30 minutes of pure frustration.

I liked the idea of Gorogoa but for some reason while my wife and I usually knew what we were supposed to do, many times it took us a while to get the game to actually do it. It got frustrating.

Each puzzle is logical, but in a visually oriented sort of way. I can see it being frustrating, I only got stuck at one point where you had to reorient a circular stained glass window in various ways using a series of gears.

Steam mentioned I have Shadowrun Returns, but have never played it, so I dove in this weekend. I’m usually not a fan of tactical games like this anymore but wow this is compelling stuff!

I enjoyed that one too, more than I thought and I do tend to like tactical battles. I need to play the other Shadowrun games.

Yeah it’s just good storytelling in a good game engine.

I began to play Banner Saga 2. Not sure if I like it yet. It has pretty graphics, but a confusing GUI. The armor versus strength split doesn’t sit well with me either. The story is also just barely there. I realize they were trying to do something different, but I am not sure I am enjoying it.

I’m now about 2/3 of the way through Jedi Fallen Order. I’m an indifferent platformer and have zero interest in masochist Dark Souls games, and the game is perfectly pleasant on “story” difficulty.

Man, what a fantastic game. It just oozes money, they must have spent a fortune. Very exploration heavy, and the combat isn’t difficult on easy. Excellent Star Wars-y narrative with surprisingly strong voice acting to boot. Strongly recommend, particularly at the $28 it currently costs on the Epic store sale.

Best Star Wars game since KOTOR2. Not to imply it compares, for me a RPG will always win out, but Fallen Order is a definite buy.

I wish all those other Dark Souls type games offered a “story” difficulty. I’d like to explore their environments and whatnot.

I wish it wasn’t a console exclusive. I wonder why they didn’t make it an RPG.