Baldurs Gate 3?

For me 5e is the best edition yet, and I’ve enjoyed all the editions (warts and all). The main thing 5e does is that it shifts the focus back to the narrative, but keeps all the sane mechanical improvements of 3e and 4e. On the surface is appears to be simpler, but my take is that it has shifted away from complexity for complexity’s sake and hides a lot of it under the hood. When it comes to making characters, you make fewer choices than in 3e and 4e - but the choices you make matter more, in a way I feel makes them more significant. The different classes and subclasses are flexible, allowing for a wide variety of characters.

TL;DR: In my opinion, D&D 5e has the feel of AD&D 2e, but has kept the good mechanical elements of 3e and 4e and combined it a splash of FATE. So: What @ArmandoPenblade said, basically.

As for Baldur’s Gate 3, I wish it manages to feel like it is a version of 5e, but I’m fine if it is not a 1:1 implementation. Solasta: Crown of the Magister seems like they’re aiming for doing that, so we’ll get to see how well or badly that approach will be too.

At any rate; super exited for BG3!