Baldurs Gate 3?

:insert muppet going crazy gif:

It would be the head exploding gif if it was 4e. Despite some brave attempts by fellow QT3’ers I still don’t really grok 5e and won’t until I pick up a rule book or three.

Just please, make it turn based. Real turn based. Deadfire confirmed what I already knew, that even a half assed bolted on attempt to turn a real time system into turn based is better than real time.

Sword Cost Legends does not use 5e at all. It uses a home made system that’s inspired by DnD but not 5e as far as I know.

Good news! I’m more comfortable with Larian taking a stab at BG3 than a lot of other studios. Though based on their track record you will probably have to wait for an Enhanced/Definitive edition for everything to work right.

I love 5e. It has some serious design flubs in places, but it’s basically 2e updated with all the good bits of 3e and without the book keeping explosion.

Yeah, this sounds about right from what I have seen. I haven’t played it myself, but I have the books and really thought the mechanics were smart and looked great, and I watched/listened to a ton of Critical Role, which they are playing D&D with the 5e rules. I love it.

My only complaint about 5e is that gold feels pointless after playing 3e for so long, where you needed to buy magic items. You don’t buy magic items in 5e, which I like, but it also makes gold feel like a bad reward. Once you kit out on basic gear you do not need much of it.

This is interesting! I sure hope it is a faithful adaptation of 5e!

I find 5e to be the best edition yet. It has the feel of 2e since it focuses on being descriptive and not normative, but under the hood it is basically running the best parts of 3e and 4e-era mechanics.

I can’t speak to the rules as written, but there must be some rules governing buying magic items as they buy items from shops all the time in Critical Role.

EDIT: I can speak to the rules, I have the damn DM guide right behind me. Here is what it says on the topic of buying magic items:

Being a video game, I imagine you can sell them. :)

The first sentence there says magic items aren’t available for purchase…

Sure in D&D you can do whatever but they did not design a magic item economy like 3e depends on.

If that’s your only complaint, that’s pretty good! It’s easily remedied.

Yep. Magic Items are not required, and you are who you are, not what you wear.

If I remember correctly, Xanathar’s Guide to Everything has some rules for a “buying magic items” downtime activity.

Correct…

That actually sounds pretty cool. I wonder if they could make that work in a video game? It seems most RPGs seem to require inventory management and loot upgrading, which is the part I find least enjoyable in any RPG.

One of the most rewarding things in gaming is finding a good use for a seemingly useless or underwhelming item or ability. In original D&D you’d find a Wand of Wonder and keep that shit just in case. In 3e you’d find 1d4 wands in a horde and immediately cash them in for their GP value (who is sitting on 25000 gold and is willing to trade it for 4 wands of Delay Poison that no adventurer wants?)

Larian is clever and I’m sure they’ll come up with ways for you to spend money. Bribes, gambling, buying a ship or stronghold, hirelings, kingdom building, and so on.

All that stuff you can do in 5e too, and make for great gold sinks, but I’m too old and lazy as a DM to manage it now. We play like once a month and I run pre-written modules, so my players acculumate gold and have nothing to spend it on. It’s a very minor complaint, it’s more of a running gag like an NPC offers 2000 gold as a reward and the players are like “Yeah you know what we don’t want to even carry it,” since I run with encumbrance.

lol - I almost never finish RPGs. That’s just my “thing.” Last one I did was Lands of Lore, but that was because my (now ex-)wife really wanted to see the ending. Don’t feel too ashamed.

This is such a better outcome than BioWare doing BG3.

If nothing else, it’s a CRPG. There will be shops to buy shit at or the like.
I mean the Infinity Engine games all had them, I don’t see why they’d change that.

Tiaxx or GTFO, you little monkey spankers…

I don’t know what this means?

TIAX LLC is a laboratory-based technology development company that takes early stage inventions, and in its labs, transforms them into technology-enabled products ready for spin-out and commercialization.

Wrong Tiax.