Baldurs Gate 3?

Anything to get the worthless Shadowheart out of the party.

I bough it only because I don’t really have anything to play at the moment. But it hurt myself trying to enjoy it. Early Access for a RPG is not for me.

I don’t mind it in something like a open world sandbox, but on a RPG is all types of bad for me.

Edit:
I can’t put in words how much I enjoyed the character creator.

I’ve said it before but to me this was just a pre-order for a game I was always going to get day 1 but with the added bonus of an early look at what they are doing. I think it works wonderfully, and provides an avenue for those that are into that sort of thing to give feedback and contribute to data in order to ensure a smooth first act.

Of course, the problem is that probably like D:OS and D:OS2 the second and further acts will be a little rocky (or just plain rough), especially given the scope they are going for here, and that leads to 2022’s Enhanced Edition, which is probably the actual best time to start playing, but who has that kind of patience!?

Pathing can definitely get weird. Had a moment with the whole party on a rooftop, clicked the ground below, and my main guy decided the quickest way down was to jump, and fall prone. While everyone one else turned around and used the ladder.

Or where astarion will see water and take the long way around, climbing down cliffs, and up ladders, exploring thru areas we haven’t been all on his lonesome.

An auto jump while exploring would be appreciated for followers as well. So maybe some a.i. pathing options to toggle on and off will be added.

Edited: patching, to pathing,

Yeah, it’s definitely still a beta.

Astarion takes damage from running water because he’s a Vamp, the definition of “running” varying from place to place in the game. But that’s why he’ll sometimes take the long way round.

Everyone else were just phoning in their role playing that day but your main guy really enthusiastically leaned in to his turn but failed his ability check.

Potential plot spoilers follow, but I’m just guessing.

I’m on my second playthrough (because bored) and I’m trying to figure out what the deal is with these refuges. On my first playthrough I entered their camp from the rear and I felt like I must have missed out on some exposition. This time I was sure to enter from the from the front and talk to the leader, which helped a bit… but not much. We know they’re refuges (oddly all tieflings) fleeing from Elturel, a city to the east of Baldur’s Gate. The toll keeper’s log book also talks of other refuges coming through. But we don’t know why. (According to the wiki, the city attacked in the opening cinematic is Yartar, a city far to the north of BG.)

I found this book in the burning tavern -

It would appear the refuges are fleeing Elturel because it got sucked into hell. Cool. Doing more research on Elturel I found the following -

The above is chronicled in the module Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus, which was released in Sept 2019.

I’ve heard some of the NPCs mention the archdevil Zariel.

It would seem the events of BG3 run parallel to the module… which… eh.

Wizards of the coast have been VERY aggressive in all licensed D&D material up to and after the release of Baldurs gate: Descent into Avernus - Pretty much every single game that licenses the brand, has used those plot hooks in some capacity or other. Neverwinter, Baldurs Gate 3, the F2P idle game whose name escapes me.

Do you mean Solasta? Sadly that aint D&D, just SRD.

Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms?

that’s the one :-)

So I hate the spell targeting in DOS2. Specifically how imprecise it feels due to the lack of a hard “lock-on” replete with how easily the 3D environmental objects block everything. This is completely unacceptable with D&D spells like Magic Missile that always hit.

Did they make this better in BG3?

Q: I really liked DOS1/2 (kickstarted), is BG3 more of ‘the same’ or is it more like BG2 (which I didn’t like, although I did get into Icewind Dale). Guessing it falls somewhere in the middle?

Way more like DOS2 than BG2.

As @Telefrog mentioned.

I would recommend just watching some gameplay on YouTube to get a feel for if it’s hewing closer to what you want or not.

I’m playing DOS2 now I am struggling with it…as in I’m not enjoying it. I’ve learned to hate the physical vs magical binary armor system. Too arbitrary. Even DOS1 didn’t suffer this nonsense.

Also I kinda just hate the map exploration in this game. It always feels like navigating a complete sloppy mess of terrain, especially on the east part of the island after escaping Fort Joy.

I think the answer to your question is yes. The spells are modeled after their D&D equivalents, so I am pretty sure Magic Missiles can’t miss, various other spells indicate they use Ranged Attack or Dexterity or Constitution saving rolls, etc. But tell the truth, I don’t recall how DOS2 did that.

There’s no physical/magical armor thing, it’s just an AC.

And there’s no ‘lock on’ - you have to click on the character model of the target (can’t click on the portrait for friendly spells but I’m sure that will be added eventually).

Spells can be blocked by environment, but you can tell beforehand, so I don’t know if that makes you feel better about it or not.

A lot of the superficial aspects of the game feel like DOS2 (you start out “shipwrecked” on a beach, many of the modifier keys are the same). But to me it feels like the underlying game is indeed different, for what it’s worth.

Most DOS2 spells are full manual mode, even if it is a single target spell. Meaning you can miss click and zap the chair next to the enemy you meant to hit. Easier than you think given the 3D environments and sometimes the amount of objects around.

What I meant with “lock on” in quotes is failsafe casting. You can’t accidently cast a Melf’s Acid Arrow into the floor. It requires a valid target…moreover I don’t want DOS2’s spell targeting.

You can still accidentally zap nearby items from time to time. The overlay gives you plenty of hints whether you are targeting the NPC or not. A line of trajectory (for ranged attacks), the monster is highlighted, with a % of success. However, if you go quick, you can accidentally misclick for sure. It usually only happens when I’m trying to wrap a battle up quickly, and not paying attention to the %'s.

I wouldn’t think it’s a dealbreaker, and I’m not sure if it is easier or harder to do that compared to DOS2, but I’d say when it happens it’s mostly user error.

That’s really the rub. I don’t want user-error built-in. My player character wizard should be able to cast single target spells with 100% accuracy given line of sight. No exceptions.

For example: You can’t accidently miss click a Melf’s Acid Arrow in Baldur’s Gate 1 or 2.