Baldurs Gate 3?

I guess that is the consequence of interactable and destructible environments. You can shoot the supports under enemies, knock stalactites off cavern ceilings (into enemies). Light stuff on fire/explode barrels, etc etc etc, classic Larian gameplay. But yes, that means you can target the occasional chair too.

It just means it is less Baldur’s Gate 3 and more DOS3. Excepted I suppose.

If only. It’s 95% DOS2 and 5% BG.

That’s exactly what I don’t want to hear. I bounced off DOS2 pretty hard after about 20-25 hours of it.

I guess I’m not alone in NOT getting into DOS 1 and 2. I think its a problem I have with most euro crpg’s… they seem to me to have really terrible pacing… all the way back since Gothic. You usually have to really and i mean ‘really’ slog through some tedious gameplay. It seems alot of them, to me at least, don’t feel to have been tested for basic pacing. And if its not the pacing… the systems and character development (and or combat) just don’t interest me. Though i did like both Two Worlds 1 and 2… kind of surprised they haven’t released a sequel or new crpg since.

Anyways, I loved Divine Divinity… which was more Diablo action rpg but much more open ended character development… and there first true 3d action rpg i liked as well, Divinity II. Those games had MUCH better pacing too! Though were more linear I suppose. But its all subjective… tons of people seem to LOVE DOS2.

I’m not suprised at some complaints with BG3… but what I’ve seen looks really high quality though. I just hope its paced better. And I’m sure DoS 1 and 2 are good, but I kind of lost patience with them… I should go back to try them, but I just lose interest. Ironically I can play Kingmaker and PoE and be engaged pretty quck. Imo I think PoEII is the pinnacle of these crpgs… its kind of hard to top it after they put in TB combat. RAMBLING ON A SATURDAY.

BG3 I’ll probably get soon. Maybe I should go back and finish DOS2…

It will be interesting to see how much community feedback Larian actually listens to. My guess is, not much.

For example, some of the biggest requests are to remove the DOS-like elemental effects that don’t exist in D&D, like Ray of Frost / Frost Arrows creating a patch of ice, Acid Splash / Acid Arrows creating a patch of acid, etc. Also like DOS, there are containers everywhere and 90% of them are empty. But you need to open them because they might have food. And food in BG3, unlike D&D, can be used to heal. And you always need to heal after every fight.

There’s a chance Larian could take this feedback and dial the game down to something 75% DOS and 25% BG… but I’m skeptical.

I just concluded my third attempt to get into the game this morning, when I uninstalled. The pacing is horrible, the combat sucks, the character progression is bland, and exploring feels like on-rails-trial-by-error. I also hate that every fight seems to start out as an ambush where all the enemies get a full round of action before I can do anything? By the time I can move, I’m half dead and the other half of my characters are crowd controlled or something. And this was hours spent slogging through exposition and NPC dialog I couldn’t give two fucks about. Uninstalled it this morning, I have no idea how anyone can enjoy that game. I’m not sure I found a single redeeming or enjoyable quality in it.

I’ll probably refund BG3 if it’s basically DOS3. I was hoping it’d fall more on the BG side of things with some DOS influences.

Somehow DOS2 sold amazingly well while PoE2 underperformed so I fully except the DOS-ificiation of BG to win out in the end.

After combat ends is the battlefield usually just a complete mess of elemental melange like in DOS? I would imagine they reigned some of that in.

Might someone explain to me what BG3 being like DOS, or whatever, might be an issue?

It only would be if you didn’t like D:OS 1 or 2, which some folks here seemed to not like.

To those folks I would suggest playing in co-op; as a co-op experience D:OS and its sequel was one of my fondest gaming experiences, and I suspect playing BG3 will be the same - the fiddley stuff (including the puzzles and quest pacing, as well as inventory and skill management) become a lot less tiresome with an “extra pair of hands” and the combat is really rewarding tactically with two players working together with two characters each, imo. Note that I’ve tried and bounced off playing OS and OS2 at least twice each solo. It’s just a lot more annoying by yourself.

BG3 seems to reduce the annoyance on all of that stuff, even this early in, and I love the 5th edition mechanics much more than the OS mechanics, so it wins out there as well, but even so I think when this launches I’m going to play this with @ShivaX and it will likely be all the more enjoyable for it.

I just started yet another PoE2 play through, this time as a pure monk (creatively named Shaolin Sho’Nuff. . .man, I’m terrible with character names). It’s been a good 5-6 months since I played it and I’m loving this monk’s top tier abilities. RTwP though, too many trash fights that take too long in turn based mode.

Thanks bud. Appreciated.

Maybe read the previous posts?

I’m not really interested in playing through an entire CRPG co-op though if that is what it takes to enjoy DOS2 more. CRPGs are too long and there is a lot of reading, sorting inventory, etc…

DOS is not like BG as far as combat goes. It’s very much its own thing. Some people like this combat, and some people have concerns because DOS combat doesn’t feel like D&D. Almost all spells act like AoE and must be aimed. Too much elemental surfaces and as already mentioned miss clicking.

Also in DOS there are more fiddly environmental puzzles with dungeons that actually feel like they were built by a game developer instead of built to be a believable environment within the fictional world. (something that harkens back to the original Divine Divinity end game dungeons)

That’s for sure. As for multiplayer CRPGs, I believe this guy said it best.

The co-op is what attracted me to DOS2 but it failed to save it or really alleviate any of my issues with it, or for my friend for that matter. He wasn’t shy about letting me he’d be a hard pass if that was I wanted play next time we got together (digitally speaking).

I came across this on Era and wanted to post it here because it very neatly defines my issues with BG3 as it stands right now almost exactly.

Except the last issue, 6-man party would not be my choice in this particular game, this is 100% something I can get on board with. These issues, from the lack of “chain” movement (especially when jumping over gaps or up slight cliff edges) to how annoying the barrel/crate spam is and how easy/frequently you are expected to move things around sums up almost all of what I found exhausting and frustrating in the game.

I still like nearly every other aspect of the game, mind, but I am pleased to see these are the general summation on the official forums as it gives a strong indication that at least some of this stuff will get addressed by launch. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, fuck chain-movement. 100% another DOS import there. It makes scouting ahead with one character more of pain.

The bigger problem is it’s forced. You must use chain movement because you can’t select and move the whole party. You can only select and move a single character at a time. Less control for…what exactly, easier game programing?

Embrace the Lasso!

Related to this, I found the characters I wasn’t controlling further back than I would have been comfortable with when a fight started, since they tend to trail behind a ways even when they are supposed to be moving together.

Pretty much exactly my experience. A game with deeply flawed combat, incoherent writing, poor quest construction, and a miserable mess of an inventory system can only be improved so much by playing it with a friend. It pretty much turns into MST3K, but less fun.

If BG3 is DOS3 it’s a hard pass and that makes me incredibly sad, though not really surprised. I was worried from the moment Larian got the license.

Another thing the DOS games did several times that I hope never shows up in BG3…is having you “object hunt” a cluttered room. The worst of this was in DOS1 where the room was several screens long…and you had to frob like 4 tiny switches no larger than your cursor that blend into the environment to open a door. I checked online because fuck that.