Baphomet wants a place on the Oklahoma state capitol steps

“The statue will serve as a beacon calling for compassion and empathy among all living creatures,” said spokesman Lucian Greaves. “The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation.”

Oklahoma state legislators in 2009 approved the installation of a privately-funded Ten Commandments monument. It was installed last year over the protests of the local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. The Satanic Temple wasn’t the only group to apply for a monument; People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and a Hindu group have also requested a place near the Capitol steps.

“Either way you cut it, this is a First Amendment issue,” Greaves said. “Once they open that door, they can’t discriminate.”

I want to see it become a wacky statuary.

It does look like a “happy” statue though.

I wish them all the luck in the world on this. In fact I want the grounds of the OK capitol to be a sea of strange religious icons.

It makes ME happy…

True, unless you compare it to a crucifix. Then it looks like a juggling clown. I would also support a Great Flood montage showing Noah’s drunken rape by his daughters. It’s so pleasant to know we’re all descended from incestuous rape.

Someone mentioned this in the other thread, but this is better because it has the picture.

Flying Spaghetti Monster, you got served!

The group also unsuccessfully tried to place a Satanic holiday display at the statehouse in Tallahasee. Although Florida allowed a creche, a Festivus pole and a pasta draped chair celebrating the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the state drew the line at Satan.

“You could see the disappointment on the faces of the Pastafarians,” Greaves said. "They had hoped to be banned, too.

“I guess we present more of a threat to the narrative of Judeo-Christian primacy.”

I hope this happens so much. They’re only about $1500 away from being able to build the thing. Give generously!

That’s gonna look a lot less creepy with bird shit all over it.

I’m all for religious tolerance and representing all faiths. I may not agree with this but if it raises public discourse or allows other religious iconagraphy to continue to be displayed in some areas it can’t be all bad. I’m just a little concerned about using it as a chair though. >>> Sits down on its lap to contemplate…

Santa Clause - My heart’s desire is a new pony, bike and GI Joe with Kung Fu grip.
Satan’s Clause - Upon fulfilling your heart’s desire, you find yourself owing the Prince of Darkness one soul payable at time of death.
know the difference!

For some reason, this detail entertains me. “We’re going to put a statue of Satan somewhere, one way or another!”

Yeah, this is funny, but I wish some Buddhists would try to put up a Buddha statue. I’d like to see the arguments against allowing that. Satan is too easy to shoot down. It’s goofballs trolling the lawmakers.

But they’re not going to. Buddhists and Hindus could do it, but the established minority religions are gonna go along to get along…I doubt they’re looking to buy trouble. AFAIK, Muslims and Jews have proscriptions against idolatry of this type, so they’re out. This kind of thing is only likely to be done by rabble-rousers.

Buddhists are detached from this.

I’m a Buddhist and a Satanist. I’d like to see someone put statues up of Vajrayogini or Mahakala, etc.

If Satan doesn’t work out, they should try to sneak in a statue of Khorne or Nurgle.

That would actually be excellent! LOL.

Nurgle? Who would worship a god named Nurgle?

Slaanesh. Even a partial explanation of what it stood for would get the fundies venting steam out their ears :)

Scuzz - The name’s based on “Nergal” / “Nirgal”, a Babylonian god of war and pestilence

I googled Nirgal. I figured he was a WoW character or something.