Barbie - Greta Gerwig's magnum opus

I mean, I don’t think it’s going to rise to any of those films at all. But just knowing that there’s gonna be stuff in there – in this movie that seems like it’ll be pretty big and seen by a lot of eyes – that’s inspired by some of those movies is cool to me.

The reviews dropped on this today, and everyone seems to love it. 94% with 60+ reviews on RT as I sit here, and my local guy in the Boston Globe calls it one of the best movies of the year. I am kind of in, if I can make the time to see it. We’re in a Barbie world after all.

Got tix for thurs

Can y’all shout out once you’ve seen it if you think it will actually be suitable for children? 6yo girl and 10yo boy.

Well, it’s PG-13 so I’d say give it a few years before sharing with the kiddos.

As for this getting all the good reviews, of course it did! :)

The reviews I’ve read indicated that it’s very much not aimed at kids, so whether it’s suitable or not they may not enjoy it.

From the FT review:

Great video. I’m missing:

The Girls from Rochefort
All that Jazz
Heaven can Wait (saw it, but don’t remember clearly)
20th century (same as above)

So that’s some homework before next week!

Ugh. Just read upthread about Narnia. Surely we have better fantasy properties to tap than f**cking Narnia (again and again).

Anything by Robin Hobb. Are we ever going to see Fitz (and the Fool), on the big screen? Or better yet, a big money Prime or Netflix series.

So.

Saw Barbie.

Wow.

That was very good.

Never doubt Greta Gerwig!

My 9 yr old daughter is making me take them to Barbie. This is the line, out the theater and into the mall.

There’s like a thousand people here. I haven’t seen a crowd like this since Endgame.

This is insane.

My 13 year old daughter went yesterday with 5 of her friends. They all dressed in pink outfits of various styles and made it an outing. I’ve never seen her excited for any movie before, so this was a new experience.

They loved it. My daughter said it was hilarious.

They’re clapping when the movie starts… unreal

Think this will be huge. Just ate across from a theater and it had crowds going in and out. All ages, dudes and dudettes, and all in either pink or some sort costume as Beach Barbie or Doctor Barbie and Doctor Ken. Super cool. If I had known this was that sort of thing I’d have made my wife and I find some sort of simple costume and gone.

My daughters loved it. Even moved one to tears.

Think I will have to go see it.

Yes! My daughter mentioned one of her friends was also moved to tears, too. I will definitely be seeing this movie.

Google is getting in on the Barbie action, apparently. I just searched for “Barbie” to see where it was playing, and got a bunch of pink sparklies and whole screen turns pink.

It is just really fun.

Ryan Gosling is hilarious as the Ken doll turned petty uber manchild, Margot Robbie is perfectly cast as the fish out of water protagonist. America Ferrara is perfect as the elder millennial mom… I could go on.

I was worried it was going to go all kids movie with your typical plot of some evil cackling ceo, but no, it is much more nuanced than that. It presents actual real world feminist issues while also being a ridiculous fantasy comedy. The villain is rigid gender roles, and that somehow makes for a light comedy.

I don’t think I have laughed as hard in the theater as when the “Ken Radio” song played in a long time.

And the Ken battle in the end… and what it turns into is just glorious.

It really feels like no other movie I have seen in a long time. It gets so wacky and zany, but then has very grounded moments of self realization.