Bard's Tale!

now which version should i buy ? xbox or ps2 ? or even wait for the pc version ??

anyone tried it yet ?

Personally speaking I would buy a console version as that is really the way the game was primarily designed to be played (We are going to try to make the PC version as good as possible, but of course that is a work in progress at the moment.) As to Xbox vs. Ps2 I would go with whichevber one has the controller you favor the most. The only real difference being that you get a free year subscription to Xbox Nation with the Xbox version (which is a pretty good deal)… content wise the two are identical. Hope you enjoy it!

Reviews:

Gamespy: 80%
IGN: 82%
Gamespot: 67%

That is quite a difference between the Gamespot and the other two big gaming sites. (Aside: it seems Gamespy has dropped their ill-conceived rating system again.) It is the difference between ‘don’t bother’ and ‘check it out!’.

Bye,
Steven

Meh. Another game using the Baldur’s Gate/Champions of Norrath engine? No thanks. That engine got old halfway through the second game I played. (Champions of Norrath) The reviews don’t indicate that they brought much extra to the table other than… more hack 'n slash. Meh.

I was looking forward to this, but the reviews have driven me to wait for the price drop!

I’m simply waiting for the pc version

I’m interested and will definitely pick it up at some point. I’ve been tempted to get it now because GTA isn’t sucking me in like I expected but I’ll probably wait till next week to see if GTA gets better or maybe see how the reviews on Killzone come out. Plus, Ratchet and Clank UYA hits on Tuesday and I’ve already got Ace Combat 5 which I’ve barely touched.

BT is a lot funnier and more interesting in my opinion than the Norrath game at least. And actually being focused solely on solo play makes it more coherent and easier to get into than when I was playing Norrath co-op.

Anybody played Devil’s Whiskey yet?

Is it just 15 year old Bard’s Tale gameplay in a new suit? or does the fun remain in a simple and unadulterated min/max dungeon crawl?

I didn’t realize it was out already…must have stopped paying attention.

Just thought I’d respond to this since you have imo a very wrong impression of the game.

If you could level any criticism at the game it certainly wouldn’t be that the game was “just another dark alliance engine game” in fact I tend to think the fact that it plays quite differently from those games (keeping in mind it’s still a top down action RPG) has hurt us in that many people are expecting it to be “Dark Alliance but funnier”. Things like the sense of humor, snarky/Nice dialogue trees, summoned characters, streamlined inventory, interface, even our shopkeepers are implemented in a very different way from any of the previous snowblind engine games. Not saying that you will “definately love it” or anything but that if you are staying away from it because you think it’s just another dark alliance clone then you are probably staying away for the wrong reasons. I’d certainly be happy to answer any questions you have about the game, to help decide if you might like it.

I’m not trying to be snarky (ha!) but what’s the reasoning behind the whole instantly-converting-gear-into-silver-if-it’s-not-the-best-thing-you-have thing? I haven’t played the game yet, but it sounds like that would strip out some of the fun of these types of games, even if it does streamline it somewhat.

No, they’re still using the 5-star system. I’m guessing you got that 80% from a site like gamerankings.com, which converts everything to a %.

I’m not trying to be snarky (ha!) but what’s the reasoning behind the whole instantly-converting-gear-into-silver-if-it’s-not-the-best-thing-you-have thing? I haven’t played the game yet, but it sounds like that would strip out some of the fun of these types of games, even if it does streamline it somewhat.

In actual operation this system seems to work pretty well. I was at first puzzled as I tried to find in my inventor stuff like the Houton Snow-Globe or the brass goblets but then I realized that the stuff I found was being converted into money. Some of the stuff is pretty funny, too, but it’s all (so far) useless, except as vendor fodder. So, even if it was tracked in the inventory, all you could do with it would be schlep it back to town and hock it.

I’m not very far into the game though and I’ve not found anything actually useful other than Adder Stones, needed to call your healing angel thingy.

Actually, I quite like the idea of that. Not that I’d want to see it in more traditional CRPGs or something uber-realistik like STALKER, but if I’m playing a game on the couch, I’d like to have the tedious min-maxing stuff done for me.

The idea behind it was that since we didn’t want to emphasize inventory manipulation in our game, we would streamline things (and yeah that would be a horrible idea for a game that was supposed to be for more hardcore roleplayers). So what you get is when items like say wolf pelts are dropped that would normally just go into your inventory to be taken back and sold get dropped, we’d take the opportunity to just do it for you (we also tried to make this somewhat satisfying in a sort of arcade game way as well.)

As far as useful items, most people seem to not understand the system. It’s true that we auto equip and sell for you but the Bard has multiple weapon lines that this happens over… so if you have a good flail it will only be replaced by a flail category weapon, since each of these weapon lines is linear and intended to have a different feel and strategic advantage, you theoretically get a lot of the same weapon variety as a normal inventory system without all the hassle of switching them in and out. Hope that clarifies things a bit.

The idea behind it was that since we didn’t want to emphasize inventory manipulation in our game, we would streamline things (and yeah that would be a horrible idea for a game that was supposed to be for more hardcore roleplayers). So what you get is when items like say wolf pelts are dropped that would normally just go into your inventory to be taken back and sold get dropped, we’d take the opportunity to just do it for you (we also tried to make this somewhat satisfying in a sort of arcade game way as well.)

As far as useful items, most people seem to not understand the system. It’s true that we auto equip and sell for you but the Bard has multiple weapon lines that this happens over… so if you have a good flail it will only be replaced by a flail category weapon, since each of these weapon lines is linear and intended to have a different feel and strategic advantage, you theoretically get a lot of the same weapon variety as a normal inventory system without all the hassle of switching them in and out. Hope that clarifies things a bit.[/quote]

I have no beef whatsoever with what you addressed in the first part–I thought that was a stroke of genius, except for maybe making disbelief a bit harder to suspend.

My beef was with the part where you get a new weapon and it replaces your favorite weapon and you don’t get to stick with one you just plain like more. But apparently that’s not how it works, so I withdraw my beef. Thanks!

Huh huhhhuh uh huhuh.

Huh huhhhuh uh huhuh.[/quote]

That one almost snuck by without a comment… almost…

The autosell inventory sounds like a great idea. Who really enjoys muling loot to sell off in a town?

I do. I enjoyed returning to Amn from a quest in Baldur’s Gate 2, loaded with booty to identify and distribute or sell off. Autosell in the Bards Tale is appropriate because it’s an arcadey-RPG, and apparently not so loot-oriented but I think it would diminish more traditional RPGs where cool loot plays a bigger part. Streamlining is not always a good idea. Look at Deus Ex 2.