Bargain Thread 2014

Nah, they seem to have exploited the inevitable failure of PC games at retail, which only seems to exist anymore to serve retailers. They’re buying up cheap the retail copies of PC games that are manufactured to satisfy an outdated business model and wouldn’t be sold anyway, scanning the codes and selling them. Even so, I’m still surprised at the price for Thief only one week after release.

This is going to sound even shadier. You don’t set up an account. Add the game to the cart, then it just asks for your phone number and directs you to Paypal for payment. They then send you an email to trigger an SMS to get a code to verify your order, and finally they show you the scans of the codes you can enter in Steam. It does actually work. I’ll let you know if my identity is thieved.

Yeah I figured that; I had a look through the site at their procedure before deciding to give it a go. It seemed to be all UK/Euro boxed versions from what I could see of the game covers (ie. not the dodgier RU versions) - generally there is no hindrance in importing physical copies of those and the payment processing method for importing physical or digital games has never before required a phone number/sms for me when using Paypal. So I found it odd they claim ‘security’ as the reasoning behind that. I sent them an email asking for an explanation. :)

Anyway, guess I’m back to waiting for a Steam, Greenman or Amazon sale that takes the price down to those levels. I see Gamesrocket has it for $33 (without the DLC) but I’ve never used them.

I am trying to use a Google Voice phone number with GameKeysNow.com and it doesn’t seem to work. The phone number has a Texas location. I don;t feel like putting my real phone number in there because I hate getting on telemarketing lists. Any people from the US successfully use this site?

The weird part of this is that they never asked for my email, so how would they send me an email? They did ask for my phone number, but I never got an SMS or anything like that.

Possibly the email associated with Paypal if you used that?

Never prompted me for the email, and never rec’d a message from Gamekeysnow at that email address. Just weird.

I’ve tried different browsers and when I press the Paypal button, it kind of flashes but nothing happens. I did update my paypal account to use my Google Voice number, and the GameKeysNow site still doesn’t do anything when I press the Paypal button.

Is there anyone willing to buy it and send me the key and I will pay them via Paypal?

Yeah, they get it from PayPal. You don’t enter it on the site.

I’ve tried different browsers and when I press the Paypal button, it kind of flashes but nothing happens. I did update my paypal account to use my Google Voice number, and the GameKeysNow site still doesn’t do anything when I press the Paypal button.

Edit: It doesn’t work with my real home phone number either. I press the Paypal button and nothing happens.

Is there anyone willing to buy it and send me the key and I will pay them via Paypal?

Ditto – I’d love to play this, and I’m cheap. If anyone is willing to send me the key I’ll happily Paypal them!

I finally got the phone number verification to work with my mother’s phone number - my home number, cell number, and Google voice number didn’t work. Then the same thing happened to me with Paypal - it charged me, then refunded immediately and sent an email message stating the Paypal transaction failed.

Something like this has to be a scam. Sounds like they are trying to sell cracked versions: http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/5021290062283-thief-master-thief-edition-125040396.htm?from=googleshop_us&adwords=Y&gclid=CPb1r76Ogr0CFcZZ7AodH2EAqw

Wow, for sure! “Online use and multi-player is NOT available with this version”

Nintendo currently has refurb Wii U Deluxe sets for $200+$5 shipping & tax. Comes with a one year warranty and NintendoLand. Could be foreshadowing a price drop, but I was willing to take my chances with the lineup coming out this year.

Reply from my email to GameKeysNow:

We currently do not sell to Australia due to high rates of fraud. We hope to sell to Australia soon!

Well, it was settled by a bunch of criminals! :-)

(just kidding!!)

Sorry if it’s already been mentioned, but Diablo 3 is $19.99 at Gamestop (sold out online right now, but I just got it at my local B&M).

Ah, thanks. My local store has 1 in stock which is now being held for me.

Haha yeah that’s true; the British had so many they had to ship them somewhere - after the US stopped taking them they came here. :)