Bargain Thread 2014

Probably a little boring for a 6-year-old. You could learn what some parts look like and the names of them, but as for actually learning how to fix a car this game will do it about as well as Call of Duty teaches you how to be a soldier.

Thanks, I’ll save our time and money.

OK, now that’s proper education for him right there.

Steam today: Ys Origin - $4.99 - (75% off).
[indent]Entire Y’s franchise is on sale! Ys I & II - $3.74. Ys: The Oath in Felghana (III) - $3.74.[/indent]

You know, I have never played one of these games. I think the reason is I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce the name. Is it Yis? Yees? Ees? Are the games even good?

Halp!

I think I can help you. And if you don’t feel like watching the entire five and a half minute intro, skip to about the 1:35 mark.

Yeah, Y’s is super old. I remember being impressed by the fully voiced intro on the TurboCD circa 1992 or so.

It also doesn’t have an apostrophe in the title. Goddammit, Sega!

Anyway, every Ys game on Steam is absolutely worth buying, especially on sale.

I played Ys I just a few months ago. It’s like a Zelda game, except without an attack button…you just bump into things to hit it…if head-on, then you take damage; if slightly offset, the enemy takes damage.

It was pretty good, but not Zelda good. I’m definitely picking up III and Origins. I’ve already got IV on my Vita waiting, plus I plan on playing II later THIS YEAR! (LOL I wish I have a project plan I can actually point to, just to prove it.)

Interesting. It’s officially on the radar now.

They are very good. Falcom’s a quality company.

Felghana and Origin have a more traditional attack system. If you liked the old Zelda games, these will be right up your alley.

I preferred Origin, but most say Felghana is slightly better.

Yeah, of the ones I’ve played, I’d say Felghana is the best, followed closely by Origin – both are excellent fast-paced action with lots of fun bosses. 7 and Memories of Celceta are a step below due to being diluted by a multi-character party and more emphasis on story, but are still worthwhile. 1 and 2 are primitive enough to be hard to recommend today.

Also, there’s no apostrophe in the name, and the pronunciation rhymes with ‘geese’.

I actually like Ys I for a lot of things it does that other RPGs (both real-time and turn-based) typically fail at, including length (I’d be totally cool with more RPGs where a casual playthrough is over in six hours!), gameplay speed (it’s incredibly fast), lack of level-grinding (you max out at level ten, which was about halfway through the game in my playthrough), and having a Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack. It does have some pacing issues (primarily with the tower), and the combat system leaves a lot to be desired, but it’s still a neat little game, and an interesting look at older non-Zelda action RPG design.

Ys II is longer and has a higher level cap, but is still incredibly fast, and still has a Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack. It also adds a magic system that helps the bump combat quite a bit.

Steam today: Defender’s Quest - $7.49 - (50% off). Darling indie tower defense game.

Steam weekend #1: Goat Simulator - $5.99 - (40% off). Darling indie f-ing around game.

Steam weekend #2: Mount & Blade: Warband - $4.99 - (75% off). Free weekend! Darling medieval warfare game.

If I were to play one M&B game, which one should I dive into and why?

Warband, had a lot of improvements over the original and all the great mods have been updated for it.

Seconded. Don’t bother buying the base game or With Fire and Sword, and Napoleonic Wars is basically a multiplayer-only mod.

Exceptional, thank you!

New Humble Weekly is live. This time it’s an indie games collection:

$1 minimum for Steam keys for:
[ul]
[li]Windforge[/li][li]Stacking[/li][li]ReignMaker[/li][li]Paranautical Activity (Early Access)[/li][li]Strife (Closed Beta)[/li][/ul]

$6 nets the following:
[ul]
[li]Darkout[/li][li]Signs of Life (Early Access)[/li][li]30-days of Curse Premium Access[/li][/ul]

$10 and you can add:
[ul]
[li]Lifeless Planet[/li][li]Edge of Space (Early Access)[/li][/ul]

For $36 you can get everything above plus an “Indie Appreciation Pack” consisting of “I <3 Indie Games” t-shirt, stickers and a Curse wristband.

Cheaped out and paid $1 for Stacking. Redeemed all games on Steam, where I will now ignore them.

I think i’ll bite with $6+. Darkout and Signs of Life are interesting to me, although both are early access! Last steam summersale, i already bought Edge of Space. Lifeless Planet does seem interesting though.