Bargain Thread 2016

Personally I easily get $15/yr in value from GCU on sale games outside of the two week window – mostly Nintendo games that never drop in price but occasionally go on sale – and will happily renew when mine expires. I’m glad to see someone else with this offer going though and hold out hope that Gamestop might follow suit and add it to their rewards card.

Wow. I subscribed to Prime for the first time ever a few months ago when they had the $67 special to honor their shows during the 67th Emmy Awards. I figured Prime Video was worth $5 a month ($60) and the other $7 I’d make up on expedited shipping my next order. I’ve been enjoying Prime video, and I’ve actually ordered more stuff off Amazon than I estimated I would in the past couple of months, so the shipping has been really nice (and worth more than $7), but I was still on the fence about re-upping later this year for the full $99. If I can get 20% off a couple of pre-orders or new releases ($12 off $60) for myself and/or my sons, now we’re talking about being back in the “reasonable for a monthly subscription to the videos” price range after savings. Nicely played Amazon!

I’m also a Gamestop PowerUp Rewards member, mostly because $15 for GameInformer print edition is a good deal. I’m old school, and still like to have a gaming magazine in print to read on the can! ;-) It’s also great for the extra credit on trade-ins, the minor discount on anything new or used, and the extras on the preorders. I also seem to spend just enough between my sons and myself to manage to earn at least a $10 reward credit each year, so in the end we make money off the deal because we save far more than $5 with the discount for Rewards members. If Gamestop follows Amazon and adds a more significant discount for pre-orders and new releases I’d be very happy.

On physical copies only, sounds like. So 90% useless to PC gamers, like many of Amazon’s game deals. :(

Can’t you register a physical copy with Steam?

Steam Tuesday: Tembo the Badass Elephant - $3.74 - 75% off.
[indent]A new platformer by Game Freaks. You know, the Pokemon guys?[/indent]

Steam midweek #1: The Park / The Secret World
[indent]The Park - $8.70 - 33% off.
The Secret World: Ultimate Edition - $20.39 - 66% off. Includes full game plus the first 11 DLCs. I cannot figure out their DLC list…[/indent]

Steam midweek #2: Jotun - $8.99 - 40% off.
[indent]Speaking of beautiful hand-drawn art in games, here’s a nice recent entry.[/indent]

Games like XCOM 2 will only work through Steam so the physical copy is redundant.

But you could still get the 20% off. Amazon used to ship on release day but now are they getting the game to people for release day?

Oh just saw this applies to the first two weeks too… no pre-order required. nice.

Right, so in theory you may save by taking advantage of this and getting the physical copy, and then registering it with Steam. I have no problem with having a physical copy. I don’t really see a downside if it registers with Steam.

Steam launch of the week #1: Tharsis - $9.89 - 34% off. QT3 thread 1, QT3 thread 2, QT3 podcast post
[indent]Lost in the launch: Laserlife - $4.94 - 66% off. A Rez-like game that sat on my wishlist when it launched 3-4 months ago.[/indent]

Well, no downside apart from the clutter (if you keep the box and discs) and the extra carbon footprint implied by shipping an object from a warehouse to one’s residence. I last did that with Shadow of Mordor when everyone was falling all over themselves about it shortly after release, because Amazon won’t let you use its spacebucks (credit card rewards points) on a digital version. At least I saved myself the download.

I suppose we can hope that this will put pressure on other companies (GMG, etc.) to extend their pre-order discounts beyond the release date for a bit.

Dude, I solved this problem earlier last year. You first go to buy the digital product - find out the exact cost with tax - then cancel the transaction.

Then with your CC points, you email yourself a gift card for the exact transaction amount - go back to run the purchase again, use the key for the gift card to redeem and presto! Stuff with no money changing hands.

That’s a great trick, thanks. In my case I don’t even have to do that first step that you do because (thank God/the Stars/the FSM) Oregon doesn’t have a sales tax. I’ll just check my points balance (somewhere around 13.50 right now) and send myself the gift card. Can it be to my same amazon email address?

PSN Essentials Sale. Up to 75% off a rather large selection of games (up to 80% for PS+ members). Notables:
[ul]
[li]Dragon Age Inquisition Deluxe (PS4) - $17.50 (PS+ $13.99)
[/li][li]Infamous: Second Son (PS4) - $11.99 (PS+ $9.99)
[/li][li]Metro Redux (PS4) - $12.00 (PS+ $8.99)
[/li][li]Castlevania: SotN (PS3 - PS1 classic) - $4.00 / $2.99
[/li][li]Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - $9.00 / $5.99
[/li][li]Suikoden (PS3 - PS1 classic) - $1.40 / $1.19
[/li][li]Danganronpa (Vita) - $20.00 / $15.99
[/li][li]Danganronpa 2 (Vita) - $18.00 / $13.99
[/li][li]Tearaway (Vita) - $10.00 / $7.99
[/li][/ul]

Yes. It seems to take up to 5 minutes to get the email with the code, but works like a charm.

Steam Wednesday: Hexcells Complete Pack - $2.69 - 70% off.
[indent]A number of us really like this variation of Minesweeper.[/indent]

EDIT double post, sorry.

Does Last of Us for PS3 ever go on sale? I kinda want to play that some day.

It was on sale a month ago at $13.99 / $9.99 (from regular $19.99).

I don’t think it goes on sale very often. But it’s owned by Sony, and they bundled it with the PS4 for a while, so I expect it’ll come back on sale in the summer or fall. (Unlike, say ZHP.)

Aww, I missed that.

Indie Gala has a pretty nice bundle going on at the $1 level.

https://www.indiegala.com/

Age of Steel Recharge is a pretty fun game so far after 2hrs of play, and Into the Void got the Brian Rubin thumbs up.