Bargain Thread 2016

I thought it played adequately, with the exception of the 4-5 second pauses during autosaves. Wasn’t enough to make me stop playing or view the game unfavorably. Although I do wonder about the quality of CryEngine . . .

Thanks! I noticed that Telefrog posted about a new patch for the game (hopefully for consoles too and not just PC). For that price it might be worth taking the plunge.

I see that Cities: Skylines is down to $7.49 on Steam. Might be time to finally grab that.

Book of Demons $14.99 until Sep 8th.

Seemed to get a lot of positive buzz in these parts.

Book of Demons is fantastic. Fan. Tastic.

Agreed! It’s a great game, and is only getting better during EA.

Help me understand Book of Demons. I love the tag line about deck building ARPG. I mean, Hand of Fate is pretty cool. However, the store page makes me think it is an indy diablo game.

The devs acknowledge that their game pays homage to the Diablo games, and you’ll see that on display throughout. With regards to the game itself, there are three types of cards you can equip on your hero: Artifacts, Items, and Spells, each of which can be upgraded three times via Rune cards. All of these can be found as loot in the dungeon, along with charges to Item cards, objects for the Magic Cauldron (a push-your-luck mechanic), health, mana, etc.

Even though Artifacts are pretty powerful, there is a drawback to using them: each equipped Artifact reduces the amount of mana available for Spells. So if you equip a lot of them, you won’t have much mana to fuel your spells, as mana doesn’t regenerate on its own.

When you enter the dungeon, you use the Flexiscope ™ to choose the percentage of the dungeon you want to explore (how far down do you want to go from your current point). This allows you to set whatever duration you want, and thereby determines the minimum amount of rewards and gold you’ll find. Don’t have much time? Set it to a short duration. Have a lot of time? Set it higher for additional rewards and gold. Flexiscope ™ even provides you with a preview of the type and quantity of monsters you’ll be facing, as well as the number of floors and their sizes.

Currently, the Warrior is the only available class, but the Mage will be released soon/next, followed by the Rogue. According to the devs, there are cards unique to each class. They’ve also outlined long- and short-term roadmaps.

IMO, it’s a steal at $15.

Thanks Mysterio, you kind of have me sold. So is the dungeon generated from cards? Or is it a loot chase of cards for gear?

Hmm it looks 3D, but is actually a 2D game and renders at 1080p with no support for higher resolutions. Not sure what aspects or refreshes are supported either.

It’s the latter. Each level is randomly generated.

I see a 1920x1080 resolution in the Options menu while running on a 1680x1050 monitor. I’m not sure if this helps you.

Shadow Warrior Classic Complete is Free at GOG right now.

Shadow Warrior Classic Redux is currently $2.49 on GOG.

Courtesy of someone at CAG:

Witcher 3 GOTY Edition from CDKeys, using discount code PERKSPOT5 makes the game $26.95. That’s for a GoG.com copy of the game, not Steam.

Kind of tempting. It’s only $2 more than what I would pay to buy the Season pass for the version of the game I already have (xbox one).

Con: I’d have to play through the main game again. Which is a huge undertaking.
Pro: I could do it with a first person mod, which should make the experience feel quite different.

If you have a RedBox near you that sells used games there’s some great deals to be had these days:

CAG thread.

For example, Batman: Arkham Knight is $6 for X1 and PS4.
Elder Scrolls Online is $6 for both platforms as well.
Halo 5 is $6
God of War 3 remastered is $6
MLB 15: The Show is $6
Mad Max is $9
Mortal Kombat X is $9
Star Wars: Battlefront is $9
Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection is $9
Until Dawn is $9

Other games aren’t in that range yet, but are starting to look good. Like Uncharted 4 at $29. Black Ops 3 at $25. Just Cause 3 at $19.

The only downside is that you don’t get the original case, just the disc in a generic clear redbox case. But still, great for picking up an extra copy of a game for multi-player households or sending to that friend you wish would get that one game you want to play with them.

Yeah, it does suck that you get a game in a Redbox red slim case. It totally looks like you took a Redbox disc home and never returned it. Luckily I’ve always had good luck with the discs themselves never being damaged so far in the 3 purchases I’ve made from them. I’ve heard on that CAG thread that if they’re bad, you can contact customer support at Redbox and get your money back. So that’s reassuring.

My goodness, this mention of Okami reminded me of a user that posted here for a while: Kitsune. In particular, at one point he used to post hints about this game to the board but in the form of prose. I recall one of them was a poem, or like a poem, that used the game context and lore as a guide to the goal instead of just throwing out a direct spoiler. I was playing through the game at that time and I found that his posting felt like an extension of the narrative. I’ve tried to locate the post on the new boards but I failed miserably and the link to the old one didn’t work for me. Tom Chick’s reviews and such are what originally brought me here, but Kitsune is what made me stay/lurk.

On re-reading the above, I seem to have drifted from my original intent of saying that Okami is a great game and well worth it for that price. I paid US $42 whenever it was still sold in stores for PS2 and got 60 something hours of playtime out of it. It is known as ‘the puppy game’ by my daughters, who are still asking me to play through it now that they are getting older. We own a WiiU, the PS2 is long gone, and I frequently consider hunting down a copy of the Wii version so that I can share the experience with them, now.

Any recommendations from the new Humble Mobile Bundle?

$1 or more:

• Cloud Chasers
  • Lost Horizons
  • Tomb Raider 1
  • Tomb Raider 2

BTA tier:

• Always Sometimes Monsters
  • Shooting Stars!

$5 Tier:

• Space Grunts
  • Cosmonautica

It has been a long time since I heard that name. Whatever happened to him or her?