Bargain Thread 2018

Yeah, Subnautica is a special game. Truly special.

Ohhh, Hand of Fate 2 is on sale today. TOO TEMPTING.

Buy it. Buy it. BUY IT.

I want to play Mark of the Ninja on the Switch, so I’m holding out until Fall.

How “on sale” are we talkin’?

Eh, 23.99 on Steam. Too rich for my blood.

20%. So not very.

OTOH, Battlefield One is down to $10 on Origin. I’m not a multiplayer person mostly, but I understand that it had a decent single player campaign. What are the chances it drops to 5 by the holidays?

not really

OK, good to know. Saved me at least 5 bucks. :-)

It might be worth 5 bucks but it’s a collection of short sections based on the MP assets. I’d give it a go for that price, but it’s not an SP campaign in the sense of Bad Company or a COD.

It’s on Origin Access if you don’t mind a rental. 5 bucks to play that and a hundred other games for a month. I liked some of the campaigns, but it’s not a must play for single player. Enjoyed it a lot more than Battlefields 3 & 4.

I enjoyed the short campaigns. Particularly the tank campaign, the airplane campaign and the Italian mech campaign.

GMG’s ongoing UBI sale this weekend is pretty great. I’d been holding off on picking up the AC Origins season pass, even though I was interested in the content. In the sale, it’s now down to like $16-17 US. Don’t remember seeing it lower.

Fanatical has a new Slitherine Bundle. Any of these any good?

That is a very loaded question, especially with a few AGEOD games up there.

Battle of the Bulge iOS was fantastic, not sure on the PC port, but it is certainly worth the flier.

Pride of Nations is an enormous sprawling and difficult to play game. But it is interesting and has some interesting ideas around crisises. If you liked Victoria 2, it’s worth checking out at least.

Ales Jacta Est is AGEOD in Ancient Rome. If you are interested at all in that phrase, check it out.

Pandora was, at the time, given decent press due to being a better modern take on Alpha Centauri than the competitor Firaxis game. I never played it myself, but 3MA was broadly positive. At $5 for a modern take on AC it’s not a bad choice.

But it all comes in what you like. Do you like Paradox games, and fancy trying some that go a step beyond? I like AGEOD, broadly speaking, but they are at an even deeper end of the pool. So keep that in mind. BotB is a good medium weight wargame using regions instead of hexes.

Pandora is great.

Unfortunately, as good as Battle of the Bulge once was on tablet, once Slitherine took over Shenandoah Studios, and brought it to PC and tried to make the two versions synch up, they basically damaged the iOS version. The PC version might be solid, but it’s a very beer-and-pretzels wargame and can be easy to beat once you grok the gameplay basics.

I’ve heard the DLC is basically a must-have (and doesn’t seem to come with this pack). Would you agree?

Absolutely. Also be prepared for the AI to kick your ass. It’s brutal and amazing.

Can you expand a bit? $5 is my typical threshold, so if the dlc is essentially required…