Bargain Thread 2020

Er no? I recycle old PCs and peripherals diligently, and a local outfit takes e-waste for free. I have a spare keyboard though, simply because I can’t flog it off.

Those old electronics are potentially toxic and fire hazard. No way I want to keep them around the house.

I was under the impression that like a lot of our recycling programs, these e-waste programs are really just a scam, as in they just ship our e-waste and dump it in some other country’s landfill.

It is a hit-and-miss but some recyclers are keen to actually take things apart and extract the gold/rare earth in the e-waste, and then responsibly deal with the rest.

I had a ton of boxed games and I flattened the boxes I wanted to keep and kept the CDs. I got everything into one plastic tub. I will probably not do anything with them, but I have them for now.

If I had a man cave, which I don’t and will not have, I’d consider using the flattened boxes for wall art.

What’s the alternative? I certainly don’t plan to strip the parts myself and a chance that they’re responsibly recycled seems better than no chance (e.g., throwing it in the garbage). Personally, I take my e-waste to our local Best Buy, which accepts e-waste for free.

Man…we were so close to getting this thread back on track :P

I don’t know which is why I still have them. I don’t want these parts going into giant piles in various parts of India or other less developed countries so small children can climb over the toxic waste and try and get to that gold.

For now, I donate the items are parts when others ask for them. There is nothing wrong with most of what I have. It’s just old.

ill just note that im seeing a different price than either of these, 28% off or $25.19

Your Choice discount is listed there as 20% off, which is why your price is lower. Mine was 15%, Nightgaunt’s was 10%. That is an adjustable setting in your account management settings, you can pick 5/15, 10/10, 15/5 or 20/0 as the percentages you want to set for discount/donation with each store purchase.

Cave Story+ is now free on Epic.

Next week’ll be Pillars of Eternity 1 and Tyranny.
They’ll include all the DLC too.

I could be wrong, but I think that’s the game in which I couldn’t figure out how to leave the first level.

Oh hey, I was right:

And apparently I was wrong about that and just missed how to go through doors:

I should try it again.

That is some high quality backlog filler.

BTW, there’s been some legal drama over Cave Story recently. The publisher, Nicalis, which took the original free PC version and funded the + and 3D versions for consoles, has been submitting DMCA claims against sites hosting the original free download and fan projects based off of it. It seems as though Nicalis is trying to assert rights to the free version that it doesn’t have, and taking the management of that property away from Pixel, the original creator.

There are surely many nuances that aren’t widely known, but the sense in the indie dev world is that Nicalis is a bad actor, is trying to steal rights from Pixel, and that players shouldn’t give Nicalis money for Cave Story+. I don’t know how Nicalis benefits from being a giveaway on Epic, but this might be a good time to grab the game without directly giving Nicalis your money. Or, you know, play the still-exceptional free original.

Pillars of Eternity 1 for free is huge. One of my favorite games of all time and still tops my most played list on Steam. I know most around here have already tried/played it and have their opinions but I’m going to say that y’all should put it into your backlog for that gaming downtime.

Tyranny’s not a bad game for a run through either. I never tried the DLC, as I wasn’t swept up in it, and even free it’s unlikely I’ll give it another go.

I liked Tyranny more than POE. Probably as it didn’t have the lore bloat that POE did. I never really knew what was going on in that game because it felt like having to read a very average fantasy novel, which I stopped doing 20 years ago. Tyranny is also much shorter. Knowing that meant I never became overwhelmed by it like I did with POE.

One of my frustrations with Pillars of Eternity is that an awful lot is ‘going on’ - far too much to comprehend - but very little actually happens.

The 1st Pillars is a good game but after playing the 2nd, there’s no going back for me. Tyranny was a story-telling twist that Obsidian hoped would take the Pillars foundation to the next level. The problem is, it’s the mechanics that needed fixing not the story and Pillars 2 showed exactly that. In my book, it’s currently trading blows with Kingmaker for the title of BG2 spiritual successor.

Very nice price on the All Stars 13 Bundle at Fanatical. $1.99 buys you Steam keys for:

• Styx : Master of Shadows
  • Sniper : Ghost Warrior Trilogy (ever-present reminder that Trilogy doesn’t actually contain S:GW 3)
  • Overlord : Ultimate Evil Collection (all 4 Overlord titles)
  • Guilty Gear X2 Reload
  • Narcos : Rise of the Cartels
  • American Fugitive
  • V-Rally 4

Survival Horror game Dreadout 2 is the Star Deal this weekend at $8.99 (55%).

GreenManGaming has some nice deals for the weekend:

Humble is giving away “Seven Enhanced Edition” in the store.

You need a link a GOG account for this one.

Cool! That’s even on my wishlist. So, I redeemed it, I can see it in my GOG library, but… GOG Galaxy doesn’t seem to work anymore (I can’t log in, and I know my password is correct because I can log in to the website). Tried uninstalling, and re-downloading and installing GOG Galaxy, no luck, doesn’t work.

Also can’t seem to find any download link for the game on the GOG site without using Galaxy? I thought it was optional? Are they just obscuring the link to make you use Galaxy?

Edit, ok, I did find the download links, nvm. Two different install files…?