Bargain Thread 2020

There was a leak? I missed it. Where?

Yeah a few days ago.

Had these two at the start, and then later Night in the Woods, Darkest Dungeon, Jurassic World and a few others. I think it was on ResetEra.

You are hilighting Battlestar Galactica Deadlock with a last played of Never.

This is deeply wrong, and you must rectify that immediately.

Dang, I missed the Trials Rising freebie. I hope they have an encore.

You’re in luck.

https://register.ubisoft.com/happyholidays2020-lastchance/en-US

And an extra: Anno 1701 (old)

Anno 2205’s Ultimate Edition is super cheap on Epic with the coupon. Any yays or nays on that?

Do you have 1800? I would go with that one first.

Agreed, imo 1800 pretty much makes the rest obsolete, unless you really like the specific time period or theme. You can get the no-dlc version pretty cheap right now (I think either on uplay or epic* with their coupons) and if you like the formula then get the dlc.

*If you get it via epic like I did, it just activates on uplay and you don’t need to bother with the epic launcher after that.

You could then use another epic coupon to get the season pass cheap.

Killer Queen Black has a free weekend. I recommend giving it a spin.

You’re in luck! Today is “all the stuff you missed last week” day!

If you want to be spoiled on which games Epic is giving away free throughout the next two weeks, this list appears to be far more accurate (3 for 3 so far) than the ridiculous one that was circulating on Reddit. Some decent stuff upcoming, but nothing that will blow anyone’s mind.

Today’s freebie is The Long Dark, which ironically I’ve been playing a lot of this past week (via Steam). It’s pretty much the perfect game to play if you live anywhere that just got 1-40 inches of snow!

Death Stranding for $19.99 after coupon on Epic… Yea or nay?

I bought it during the Steam Thanksgiving sale and played about 15 hours. I’ve enjoyed it so far, although the interface is a little convoluted for my taste. The story is complete bonkers as well, but I enjoy that.

I doubt you’ll have a similar issue, but my main computer is an i7-920 and would not play it at all. I guess there’s some instruction set missing from my CPU that is used in game. Thankfully my wife’s i5-2500k has no issues with it, other than being a bit slow.

Interesting. Thanks for the warning. I have an i5-750, and I was thinking of getting it. Best to wait, I guess, until I have a different computer.

Thanks, @Gedd. That would have probably had issues with the rig I had up until about two months ago, so good warning. I’m okay with my new CPU, but I think I’m going to hold off because insane backlog.

Interesting, I hadn’t heard about this. Wait for a patch or new CPU I guess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/hr8ouc/psa_even_if_your_cpu_is_stronger_than_the/

“PSA: Even if your CPU is stronger than the advertised Intel i5 in the Minimum Requirements, the game WILL NOT START if it doesn’t support AVX instructions”

That’s an extremely useful warning, I have the same processor. Thanks!

My last computer was an i7-920 and I replaced it in 2015! You guys are hardcore.

While it’s true CPUs have advanced quite slowly over the past decade, each year is an incremental improvement and that CPU is 12 years old. It’s time to toss it in the dumpster, if you have the means to do so.

I was on a 3 year build cycle before my i7-920 build, but this system, with a few gpu upgrades, had handled everything I’ve thrown at it without problem, and I work on it every day. Granted, I don’t play leading edge games and stick mainly to bargain bin stuff. Death Stranding, and perhaps Anthem, have been the first, and even Anthem seemed happier when I threw some more RAM in it (6 to 14).

That said, this issue, and the fact that I could pass this build on to my kids, did get me to start looking at parts again. I’ll probably get serious about it in the next 6 months.

And I’m glad my experience could help some people out. When I first tried to run it, there was no error message or anything, just black screen, then back to Steam. I had initially read that the game really wanted to be on the latest version of Windows, and I didn’t realize I had missed the last big update, so I fixed that up and then I think I saw a vague message that lead me to the processor issue. Was a fun bit of troubleshooting.

Apparently the issue is AVX vector instrructions, which are flatly missing from our chip. More than likely it’s a by-product of console porting that the game even needs them, though I’m sure it’s something we’ll run into more as time goes on. It is, indeed, probably time to finally upgrade. Honestly, it’s been really hard to justify building a new system up to now.