Bargain Thread 2020

The new Humble choice approach is certainly interesting.

As for this month, Warstone TD is skippable if you choose the 3 or 9 game option.

First, as TD games go, I thought it was mediocre, a very grindy imitation Kingdom Rush. Second, you can get it for a song in numerous bundles at Fanatical.

As is The Hex, given that it’s already available with 7 other games in the Hidden Gems Bundle at Fanatical for $2.49. It’s also a prime candidate to be $1.00 in any given sale, or a choice in one of those Pick & Mix Bundles they often run.

I find this month impressive primarily in how many games I already own. I am not sure the couple I don’t justify $12, but I will have to doublecheck.

I bit on this, only because I wanted to pick up the wishlisted Pathfinder and this was a good way to get it (and other games) for much less than it’s even been on sale. I grabbed Frostpunk and Eliza as another two.

Do y’all download everything in the Trove every time there’s something new added or just games you think you might like one day? I feel it’d be easy to forget you even have these games if all you do is collect them.

I completely ignore the Trove. I don’t think there’s even anything in it that I don’t own somewhere else.

On the Indiecade webstore (which is apparently a thing??), you can get a Steam code for Walden, a game for <$8.

Walden (which I just put on my list in the Games of the Decade thread, you might have noticed) is an open-world non-hardcore-survival game where you are Henry David Thoreau living in a cabin at Walden Pond for two years. It’s not edutainment. It’s an honest to goodness video game with a beautiful environment that goes through day/night and seasonal cycles, and many excellently conceived systems and activities to take part in around Walden (and in Concord). More interestingly, it cheekily gives you these robust game mechanics to play with while also subverting them in ways that bring out the themes of Thoreau and make for some legitimate game criticism.

I think I still managed to make it feel like an “eating your vegetables” game, but I promise it’s great. If you are interested in Thoreau, of course get it. If you would like a pretty relaxed and contained exploration/survival game, I would recommend it as well. $8 is the best price I’ve ever seen for it.

Fanatical Star Deal today is Far Cry 5 for $11.99 (80%), a historic low.

Fanatical is also having a Paradox Interactive Publisher Sale.

IndieGala has a new Hidden Kingdom Bundle for $2.99 that features nine Match-3, Solitaire, Hidden Object and Puzzle games.

The Origin Store has The Sims 4 for FREE.

Speaking of feebies, Ticket To Ride and Carcassonne are both FREE at the Epic Store through Thursday morning, then the freebie switches to Kingdom Come : Deliverance. NICE!

Humble Store has a Lovers x Fighters Sale happening. Looks to be a mix of arcade fighting games and anime romance games and visual novels.

Actually $19.66 with clickable coupon.

The one time I did play this game, I didn’t care for it. To be fair, the game has to be exceptionally good with tight gameplay for me to like any sort of betrayal aspect.

Oh wow, Origin is giving away free games again? Guess they had to join the club.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is ANYTHING but tight. You shouldn’t go into it with that expectation, if you’re going to enjoy it (and, hey, maybe it’s just not for you).

It’s so unpredictable and random, not only with the random scenario, but also all the ways the house and your inventories could develop leading up to the scenario starting, that you have to go into it with the attitude that it’s going to be a crazy, possibly unbalanced romp that could fizzle out because things end up entirely stacked against one side, but sometimes turns into a really dramatic challenge for both sides that you’ll be telling stories about for years to come.

Well sure. I didn’t like the game. I thought I would post it anyway but mention hey I am not endorsing this. It’s not my cup of tea at all, but others here should at least know it’s on sale regardless of my preference.

Boardgaming is such an expensive hobby. That game is pretty expensive even on sale.

Luckily, a single board game can go a long, long way and provide hundreds of hours of entertainment. So maybe it’s not that expensive after all.

Oh I see! I think I mistakenly read what you wrote as “I’m considering getting this on sale, even though I didn’t like it the one time I tried it.”

I can see how you might read it that way, but nope. I posted this here just to let everyone know it’s on sale, and 20 dollars is a pretty good price, might even be darn good.

I just really, really didn’t want someone think I recommended that game, which I don’t care for.

I love the randomness of the map reveals and build-up in the game, and usually have fun with the inevitably goofy wrap after the Haunt is revealed. Like it so much I basically ripped off significant parts of Betrayal’s design for one of my RPG one-shots, “The Haunting of Sturmfell Manor,” lol

I don’t know if it’s what I’d call a “good boardgame.” As a goofy fiction generating collaborative horror tropefest, however, it succeeds in spades.

I just wish it did that with mechanics that are in any way engaging or interesting before the haunt, and/or could guarantee a haunt within the first 5 minutes of play.

I played this! Definitely Betrayal-esque.

They should put that on the box.

tbh I should be getting paid for my contributions to the world of ad copy. selvedge denim sales alone must have skyrocketed thanks to me! :-D

All the brain surgeons are going to be wearing them this season.