Bargain Thread 2021

There’s something good, honest about Mario having a day job as a plumber, and rescuing princess and collecting coins/stars/moons in his off hours. Does Sonic even have a day job or is he a layabout? Maybe he collects so many coins he doesn’t need a day job?

I thought sonic collected rings?

Well Sonic is a hedgehog, so his job is ruining people’s yards.

I feel like maybe I need to watch that Sonic movie to understand the history and lore of the character and then perhaps try one of the games.

The only Sega system I owned was the Dreamcast, so Sonic Adventure was my first experience, but it didn’t make a big impression either way.

I’ve since gone back and played through a couple of the classic games and they’re fine. Good music, and the whole whiz-bang roller coaster spectacle is fun in small doses, and was certainly unique and novel at the time.

But at high speeds you don’t really have time to react to anything coming at you so it becomes about memorizing the level and where to jump. And at low speeds, there’s just not much noteworthy about Sonic’s moveset or level design to recommend it over any of dozens of other platformers in my book.

Oh yes, the story is key to appreciating Sonic games. Without context you’re completely lost, like starting Tolkien with the Silmarillion.

Re level design, Sonic did innovate there. Beyond the gimmicky loops and high-speed trampolines and such, Sonic invented the concept of high/low routes, where you can get through levels in two different paths, and if you fail on the high one you can still complete, you don’t just die.

It was like a platforming pinball machine at times. Once you got good it was all about maintaining a “rhythm” and making it all smooth and look effortless. You could play Sonic with “style” and still beat the level if you know what I mean.

Yes.

Not really. If you are holding >=1 ring, and get hit, you drop rings but otherwise are unharmed. If you have 0 rings, you die.

If you are holding 50 and go past a checkpoint you can get bonus stages in older games, and 100 rings = extra life.

Movement > rings, by far.

Yeah, not a great game.

The best games in the series contained a sense of joy in movement that was key. Level design was important in this. So good levels really helped bring about that sense, while bad ones like Marble Zone (the second stage in the original) would hamper this.

Actually let me link this. Fair warning the author is an admitted Sonic fanboy, but he does do a good job of acknowledging that and addressing that in the critique. And it does not blind him to any flaws. But you want a sense of why Sonic was so loved by some, he does capture it. ( I do not share his favorable opinion of the 3D games, but am more or less on the same page with the 2D ones)

This is actually a great deal.

That’s a LOT of wagyu. You really can’t eat more than around 6 ounces at a time, it’s like half fat. In a good way, all intramuscular marbling. So this is like 30-ish servings, conservatively.

I’ll use it for philly cheesesteaks!

Provided you can freeze it and will consume it before it gets freezerburned. That is some spendy meat though, sheesh. I’m sure it’s amazing if properly prepared. I’m not a frequent consumer of beef, though.

The thing I’ve sometimes been tempted by is the Serrano ham (jamón Serrano) they sell around the holidays, because I love the stuff generally. It’s a lot of ham, though, and I don’t really have the technology to slice and preserve it* properly. Has anyone tried the stuff they sell there?

*I’m guessing in some kind of vacuum packs.

giphy

In a similar vein, all ya mustard guys say heeeeeeeeyy! All ya mustard gals say hoooowwwwww!

$2.70 for six and a half pounds of mustard. The other yellow gold. Texas pee. Yee haw! You could take a bath in it, weirdo.

Is this thread getting less useful? I can’t tell.

Not the type of bargain I’m looking for. Sir.

Yellow mustard is still my favorite. Not that I have anything against Grey Poupon and brown mustard and honey mustard and sriracha mustard and on and on, they’re all good. But classic yellow mustard, there’s just a purity to it.

@stusser are you OK man? If you find yourself alone at home for days, just dipping grilled Wagyu into yellow mustard and staring into the void, reach out brother, we are here for you.

Fanatical has Indie Legends Bundle XII live. $3.99 for 8 indie titles including:

• N++
  • Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
  • Virgo Versus the Zodiac
  • They Bleed Pixels
  • Maize
  • Smile for Me
  • Frog Detective 1 : The Haunted Island
  • Frog Detective 2 : The Case of the Invisible Wizard

$4 for Yooka-Laylee Impossible Lair, Virgo, They Bleed Pixels and Maize (the most amaizing game about sentient corn ever made) is a pretty good deal.

Star Deal today is Destiny 2 : Beyond Light - Deluxe Edition for $39.89 (43%), which is close to a historic low.

Humble Bundle has a new Aspyr 25th Anniversary Bundle live. $12 top tier includes:

• Sid Meier’s Civilization : Beyond Earth
  • Borderlands : The Handsome Collection
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Bioshock Infinite Season Pass
  • Lightmatter
  • Morkredd
  • Layers of Fear : Masterpiece Edition
  • Fahrenheit : Indigo Prophecy Remastered

A couple of years ago this would have been a great bundle, but pretty much every title in it has been bundled before or been on a steep discount, so it’s likely most folks have all or most of this bundle already in their game libraries.

Unless there’s some game involving Wagyu beef, Serrano ham and yellow mustard I don’t know about, probably.

Damn, price went up already. Not that I’d buy that kind lol