Bargain Thread 2022

WH40K: Gladius - Relics of War has a free weekend and $4 sale on Steam.

Maneater is the free game on EGS now.

It would seem I buy and backlog a lot less games without @SlainteMhath posting deals frequently in this thread. :(

Ha! I do miss posting near daily, but it was very time consuming to research and post everything, though I very much enjoyed sharing the compulsive addiction joy of savings with my fellow gamers. However, in the last few months my life has become a lot more complicated. I donā€™t want to junk up the Bargain Thread with my personal issues, but long story short:

My mom was diagnosed last fall with terminal cancer. I am the only family she has here, everyone else is 1000 miles away, so it fell on me to handle pretty much everything these past months. My mom also has 50+ years of untreated depression/mental health issues, and this has made the situation even more difficult. It is incredible how much time and effort goes into trying to maintain someone elseā€™s household and put their affairs in order when theyā€™ve done literally nothing for at least 20 years. On top of that, my mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer at around the same time, which means my wife and I have also been busy tending to her needs and affairs. It has been a crash course in medical treatments, estate planning, social services and more. Thankfully the county we live in has a lot of great social services for seniors and people battling cancer, the support of some of these services has been amazing.

Itā€™s not all bad news keeping me busy though. My daughter, who just graduated from high school, has played competitive volleyball for nearly a decade. Every January-June we would travel all over the country with her club team when they would play in tournaments. This led to her receiving offers from colleges to play volleyball. She visited several and decided on one, and we moved her 10 hours away a couple of weeks ago (just days after graduation) so she could begin training and practicing with her college team. She loves it, and is very happy. While it was a lot of time and travel these past few months, it was also a great escape for both my wife and I from what was going on with both of our moms. We are very much looking forward to traveling some in the fall to see her team play at various schools when we can.

As if all that wasnā€™t enough, my workload has probably doubled since everyone came back to the office post-COVID last year. Itā€™s a non-stop stream of desktop and server patches, software updates and roll outs, and trying to fend off the security threats that seem to have tripled in frequency in the past couple of years. Iā€™ve spent a lot of nights and weekends trying to play catch up when I have time free from the other stuff.

Hopefully things settle down some fairly soon. We seem to have found a good routine lately with the moms, my daughter is moved and settled, and Iā€™m going to spend the summer trying to catch up on some of my work projects. Perhaps I can find time again for bargain hunting in there as well, as I do miss scouring the web for deals.

No need for anyone to junk up the Bargain Thread responding to this post. I just wanted you all to know what was up and not think I had abandoned you or stormed off mad about something. QT3 is a great place filled with great people, and I know without the need for replies that you all wish me well. We care about each other here, something that is pretty rare on the internet these days, and that is why I love, respect and admire you all. Keep on hunting and posting those bargains, take care of yourselves and your families, and Iā€™ll return to bargain duty when time permits. :-)

-SlainteMhath

Hey Slainte, let me offer my two cents here, which is bargain pricing: Good luck and take care of yourself!

Thanks, that is a bargain! Glad I got in on it before inflation made it four cents! ;-)

This deal gets existing game pass ultimate subscribers additional time for $5.08/month. Compare that to $4.19/month if you wait for your subscription to lapse and convert Xbox Live Gold time directly for $1-- assuming that trick is still available whenever your time runs out. I just added a year, enough to take me back up to the max 3 years. It actually went a couple days over 3y, MS let me do that.

Youā€™re purchasing 3 month xbox live gold cards, which each convert to 50 days of GPU.

Note youā€™re purchasing from cdkeys.com, which many people find distasteful, so YMMV. Worked for me.

Thanks @stusser. I was set to expire in December of this year. Now Iā€™m good until May of 2025.

Nice! Given the number of link clicks, looks like a lot of people topped themselves off.

Nice one @stusser, an extra year tacked on to my beautiful gamepass membership.

Yes, I bought 7 of them, for 350 more days, which puts me in Mid May 2025.

Hey all, quick question about the Amazon free Games with Prime this month: I already have Far Cry 4, but if I wanted to give it away thereā€™s really no way for me to do that, right? Redeeming the game on Twitch just asks you to put in your Ubisoft credentials I presume, and doesnā€™t provide a key that you can pass on?

So I have PC Gamepass only until September 23; would this work if I first subscribed to Ultimate then bought the Gold & did the conversion?

Yes, that should work. I donā€™t see any way to convert XBLG into PC GPass, which makes sense as XBLG isnā€™t required on PC.

Ok so as noted above I have PC Gamepass until 1 September 2023 (did the 3 yr Gold conversion thing in 2020).

If I upgraded to Ultimate, my renewal date would be converted back to 1 February 2023 so I would lose 7 months but gain Ultimate.

As an experiment I bought a 3 month Gold code and redeemed the code WITHOUT upgrading to Ultimate first. So checking I still have my PC Gamepass expiring Sep 23 and now a 3 month Gold sub also.

So upgrading NOW to Ultimate, it has EXTENDED my renewal date until 1 February 2024 - so converted my existing 14+ months of PC Gamepass to Ultimate AND given me another 5 months of Ultimate for approx US$8 total - thatā€™s insane.

Edit: redeeming a second code reverts to the 50 day conversion - still a good deal though as one month of PC Gamepass in NZ is about US$8 anyway. So an extra 20 days and Ultimate for the same price is still worthwhile.

They really want people to upgrade to ultimate. They made it so enticing, I couldnā€™t not do it.

Mark your calendars for Prime Day.

My backlog!!!

Sweet:

• Mass Effect Legendary Edition: Relive the epic saga and prepare for an unforgettable adventure in the highly acclaimed trilogy. The Mass Effect Legendary Edition includes single-player base content and over 40 DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 , and Mass Effect 3 games, including promo weapons, armors, and packs, remastered and optimized for 4K Ultra HD.

You never played Mass Effect? :O

Mass Effect : Legendary Edition is a huge get as a freebie. Iā€™m playing through it currently (played the originals, but hadnā€™t explored Legendary Edition until I got it in a recent Humble Choice bundle) and itā€™s been amazing to replay the classics with a fresh coat of paint. A lot of work went into Legendary Edition, it looks, sounds and plays great, especially using the ME3Tweaks Mod Manager with just a handful of UI improvement mods.

Prime Day may be a month away, but I highly recommend anyone who doesnā€™t have Legendary Edition mark their calendars and grab it when the deal goes live.