Bargain Thread 2022

Thanks for posting this, I’m topping up!

At some point I guess Microsoft is just going to start giving these away?

Well, these are not normal prices for 3 month Gold codes. I wonder where Eneba and CDkeys got them?

They are global keys, so not grey market. I really have no idea. Maybe a pallet full of 'em fell off a truck? Or credit card fraud?

Just out of curiosity, how expensive or easy is it to upgrade that to Gamepass or whatever if I just want to play pc stuff?

Never really cared enough to check how that works.

As a new subscriber you buy 3 years of XBLG, apply to your account, then convert it to GPU for $1. At this pricing that will cost you a completely insane $76. Best gaming value I can remember in my entire life, 3 years of GPU for $76. Starfield alone would cost $70 otherwise.

Only trick is when you apply the XBLG and it offers you a free month if you activate recurring billing, you say no, because you can only have 3 years total and you’ll end up 2 months short otherwise.

Hmmm, that does sound like a swell idea. Maybe I’ll do it and mentally toss it in the Starfield expense bucket in my brain.

Honestly, GPU full priced at $15/month isn’t a terrible deal for most people. I don’t personally get that much value out of it, but I do get $5-- and I barely play Xbox, and have only played Halo and the Mass Effect remakes on PC.

This is $2.11.

Wow, great tip.

What about as a current subscriber? I’ve got 2.5 months of $1 PC Game Pass left, but I did buy a few of these cheap Xbox Live keys for after that runs down.

Buy 3 years of these cards then after your subscription expires you do the same thing as a new subscriber, except it’ll cost you $14.99 to convert from XBLG to GPU.

Each code will convert to 50 days of GPU, so that’s a bit more than $4 a month at current prices.

Edit: actually $3.85 a month, bargain. I upped mine back to 3 years.

Yeah, but he only has to wait 2.5 months.

Question is whether these skeevy keyshops will resell the same key to someone else if you wait. Almost certainly not, how could they know which were used? But it is a consideration.

Well, I am now one of you Three Year Game Pass aristocrats.

The “Starfield would cost you $70” argument is pretty persuasive, really.

The Slickdeals link said it was 90 days per card, if you use the ‘disable/enable/disable’ recurring billing trick when redeeming each of them.

Which is why I don’t fully understand this:

Doesn’t buying 12 cards @ 90 days each equate to 3 years?

If you’re already subscribed to GPU, each 90-day XBLG code adds 50 days of GPU to your subscription.

If you aren’t already subscribed to GPU, each code is 90 days of XBLG and that converts 1:1 for 90 days of GPU.

DOcCjbAVwAITZlg

It’s a bit convoluted, but you are saving $464 over paying full price (if a new subscriber).

Does the $1 upgrade from XBLG to GPU convert your entire XBLG sub? Or just the first 90 days?