Bargain Thread 2022

Cat Quest 2, has the purrrrrrfect discount over at WinGameStore (75% off) now at a $3.74 sale price.

Oof. I second the thanks on this news. I too had bought a bunch of stuff from them, although in the last couple years it was mostly music, and I donā€™t think I even visited the site in the last year. I didnā€™t realize how much those bundles added up.

What a pain this new game they published called Groupees Dump is. Every so often youā€™ll try to claim a Steam key and find out itā€™s no longer good because someone else used it. Or go to claim something from a partner site only to find that site is no longer alive. Business is hard.

On the Groupees chat, someone posted a link to a utility thatā€™ll let you control downloads of the files. Iā€™ve not tried it yet but it might be useful.

GitHub - GMMan/GroupeesDownload: Scrape your Groupees account

Doom games are on sale on Xbox. Very tempted to get Doom Eternal Deluxe edition for $23. I know I already have the base game through Game Pass (and I bought the base game on Steam for full price when it came out), but just getting the two expansions for $23 would be a good deal by itself.

Gear Tactics is on sale for 9.99 until 08/22 (for those who want it on Steam or donā€™t subscribe to PC Game pass).

If you missed the IndieGala mini PDX bundle, Humble now has basically the same pack (Planetfall, PoE, Battletech, Knights of Pen and Paper) + Shadowrun Trilogy for $12 (+$2). These are pretty much full game plus DLC for slightly older turn-based strategy modern classics.

Howā€™s the Groupees dump going? I finally finished mine. If Humble, Fanatical, or Steam ever go under, Iā€™m screwed because this was a bunch of bull Iā€™d rather not go through again.

I gave up. I just donā€™t have the time or mental bandwidth.

Ah well. All earthly things end up as their constituent atoms eventually. ;-)

I dread the day when Gaben dies and his heirs decide to take Steam public, because you just know the bean counters are going to start charging some kind of ā€œmaintenance feeā€ for keeping track of your library and letting you download/install stuff whenever.

Itā€™s no big deal, Iā€™d not thought about Groupees in years, so I doubt Iā€™m missing anything important.

PLUS ALL THE BEST GAMES ARE STILL ON DISKS MOTHERFUCKERS.

;)

LOL you know itā€¦and so do those guys paying big bucks for old games on eBay.

Oh donā€™t I know it. Part of my latest project:

Ha! I threw away a looooot of boxes like that. Some the first time I moved, some the second time I moved, some the third time I moved, etc. Until eventually I chose to keep none of them.

I only keep boxes with the cool stuff in them, like big manuals, maps, etc.

I started consolidating boxed games, so Iā€™ve got like five games in one box. I tried to do it logically, so Iā€™ve got a bunch of Jedi Knight games and expansions in one box, stuff like that. It made sense at the time.

Most of my games on disk arenā€™t in boxes at all, but in revisiting all these old flight sims, I realized the joy it would bring me to have them in boxes to decorate the room I spend dozens of hours in each week. Especially since I plan to keep streaming many of them.

First, nice photo of the collection!

Like @Rock8man I had a large collection and both it and I had to suffer several moves together. In recent years I decided Iā€™d had enough, realized I was at a point in my life where there was more behind me than in front of me, and that most of those games I would never install again.

So I have been auctioning them off and donating the proceeds to charity. This has been good for me in two ways. Obviously Iā€™m unloading a lot of physical cruft, but Iā€™m also happy knowing the money helps others.

Most of the good stuff is gone now, leaving me with a couple boxes left of two kinds of games:

1. The crap stuff that no one really wants that Iā€™ll have to bundle up and let go for super cheap to get rid of

2. Flight sims. They have a following but a very narrow one. A few Iā€™ll keep just for old timeā€™s sake, a few Iā€™ll probably toss except for the nice manuals that had nice historical sections.

Sorry to derail the threadā€¦uh, ok, hereā€™s a StoryBundle with game books!

I flattened all my old game boxes and saved them. I thought maybe Iā€™d do something wtih them one day, but so far nada. It did allow me to get my game CDs and flattened boxes into a tub.

I also sold a bunch too. I just had nowhere to go with them and like Bernie, realized Iā€™d likely never install them again.

Back to bargains. Thereā€™s a new Slayer bundle out:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-slayer-bundle-7?utm_source=Fanatical%20Newsletter&utm_campaign=Summer%20Sale%20-%20Build%20your%20own%20Slayer%20Bundle%207%20-%20August%2022&utm_medium=email

One of the games is Ogre. Looks like a faithful port of the old board game. Anyone with any thoughts on it?

Darn. I was hoping Slayer bundle meant a bundle of games in which you slay things. But I guess itā€™s more of a metaphorical slayer bundle. As in, this bundle slays dude.