Battlefield 1 - DICE, gas attacks, biplanes, cavalry, bayonet charges

Yeah, those.I’m getting the yellow FPS thing constantly. I have no idea what the FPS is; I assume there is some way to tell in-game? Thing is, I don’t notice any FPS drops, so without that stupid icon I’d not even thing I was having any issues.

The yellow “low fps” indicator seems awfully strict to me, it feels like a 60fps indicator because I get it sometimes at 4k and the framerate seems fine to me with the GTX 1080 at that res. I’m pretty sensitive to 30fps or under, so I highly doubt it is dipping that low.

From the BF1 forums, and other posts around the Web, it seems that it is very aggressive and unrepresentative of any real problems for most folks. And there are numerous postings about weird performance issues. I would expect a patch in the near future, perhaps.

Just for closure and future searches, my key was indeed bad, but GMG sent me a new one within a few hours…

I’ve never been more clueless in an FPS. Spawn, run towards the point, die. Sometimes I’m top 10, sometimes I’m dead last. Seems like some sort of great game, but I uninstalled with no regrets.

In fairness, that’s pretty much how all of these things start out, at least for me. Takes a dozen games or so for me to get comfortable enough to start figuring out the pacing, ranges, how the enemies are delineated with icons, etc. The maps in BF1 are really busy, too, which is cool, but makes it super hard to see, say, snipers.

Riding on top of a freakin’ Zeppelin, though, is nifty.

I think I’m finally out of these team shooters that need a heavy amount of time spent leveling up and unlocking.

TB didn’t like the campaign

I can’t deal with that guy’s voice. I am guessing he didn’t like it for historical accuracy reasons? It is definitely (Ricardo Montalban) fannnntasy island World War I for sure.

Played a bunch of this today. I’m really digging it so far (or the multiplayer, at least). I’m a big fan of the Rush game mode, and I think this BF game does it the best. Conquest is good ol’ Conquest, warts and all. Haven’t gotten to play the Operations mode since it seems like very few people play it and I could never find a populated server. I wish the weapon unlock system was better explained, and I think the menus could definitely use some work (on PC anyway). I really dislike how the Assault starts with only an SMG which is useless on some maps. The medic is great though, and it shocks me to see it being underutilized in many games. I also think that snipers are a little overpowered and half the time render immobile guns (cannons, HMGs, etc) useless, though thats been a problem since BF1941. I’ve really impressed with many of the maps, though some of the town ones can be bit chaotic.

Anyway, really glad to see the direction this franchise is headed.

Yeah, this is WWI imagined by George Lucas, not Steven Spielberg. It’s cool, though. It’s like they worked backwards, and took the late war tactics, gear, and general if bleated awareness that 'holy shit, we’ve been doing this wrong" and funneled it back through the entire war. Hence, you get small unit actions with tons of automatic weapons and a command and control system that is far more flexible than it was for most of the war. Which really is a lot more appropriate for this type of game, which is not a sim, but, well, a Battlefield game. If you want realism, go play that Verdun game on Steam where you stick your head up out of the trench and you die or whatever.

I still suck though, and I agree the interface and the whole customization and unlock system seems a bit Byzantine.

I’m on the fence regarding the medal system. On the one hand, I sort of like that BF1 forces the player to choose which 5 medals to pursue instead of just having a giant smorgasbord of medals that can be unlocked at any time. On the other hand, I sort of hate that BF1 forces the player to choose which 5 medals to pursue instead of just having a giant smorgasbord of medals that can be unlocked at any time.

If I don’t pay attention to or choose medals, am I missing anything, other than gaining virtual medals?

The only thing that I still can’t get past is the lack of any French army troops in the game. If I was French, I would be super pissed off about that.

XP. Lots of XP.

I had fun for the hour or so I played last night. I just did multiplayer except for that initial sp thing. Does the rest of the SP campaign follow the same pattern as that first bit? That latest Frostbite engine definitely is beautiful. Since it was used on Battlefront does that mean next title will be a new engine?

I tried to launch MP a couple nights ago and kept getting an error. Not sure what was going on but SP worked fine.

Hey, in PvZ:GW you don’t even get to pick your meta-goals.

I should add that my statement was supposed to be “I sort of like that BF1 forces the player to choose which OF 5 medals to pursue…” because you’re only choosing one of the 5 offered each week.

I hope they keep this engine for a while and put all their efforts into creativity and string tone. So far it’s the best game in the series for me. The opening “tutorial” was an awesome idea. Taking apart the main campaign narrative into several simultaneous story arcs that are selectable is also a great idea.

Couple thoughts on gameplay:

1. Did they nerf horses a bit since the beta? Much much harder to get sword kills now and I feel like they turn and respond a bit more sluggish.

2. How does medic revive work? I’ve never been prompted to “ask for revive” and as a medic I don’t see any icons or anything when teammates for near me. Am I missing something?