Battlefield 1 - DICE, gas attacks, biplanes, cavalry, bayonet charges

I’m a bit conflicted.

Titanfall 2 is original, has a great campaign, cool weapons, a better sense of rhythm and I’m waaay better at it multiplayer (not many players take full advantage of the extreme mobility).

Battlefield 1 has a shitty campaign, puts France, Russia and mortar artillery behind a pay wall, has very low historical accuracy, feels like the same old Cod/BF multiplayer, has a ton of different paywalls/passes/DLC and I suck at MP too.

And yet… I still kinda like BF1 more.

I guess having a “real” setting goes a long way. I’m starting to suck less at it now too… at least now I know how to pick the low-hanging kill fruits: mortar, shotgun, frag crossbow, etc.

I also like BF1 more than Titanfall 2, I blame the inspiring squad leader whistle and glorious horse combat. But I play and enjoy both. :)

I finished both campaigns over the last week and no doubt, Titanfall 2 campaign is vastly, vastly better.

BF1 is just so badly designed. There were like two interesting levels (stealthing arabia at night in particular). And it is a shame, this setting offers so much potential and they poured insane amount of manpower into the graphics and level designs.

I really wish someone with more ambition/talent/vision would take WW1 to build a game around in.

Started up BF:1 campaign somewhere in Italy and it looked like a photograph for a second…

Then it was the typical onslaugh to death to deplete your own sides number and the repeated trading of a mission objective until round ended and I quit. I wonder if there will ever be a round in BF:1 where one team keeps enough people in defense to hold an objective.

Anyone play Verdun recently? Haven’t played in a while, but it seemed like a kind of perpetually barebones, but constantly updated game. It sure as heck didn’t have BF1’s budget, but it had the good historical sense to add France from the get go, then Canada and then the US. I think they even have Belgians in there now with their terrifying stove pipe hats. It definitely has more of a trench warfare feel, with forced advances while artillery rains down on you, more bolt-action rifles and less running in circles with SMGs. It was also the first WWI FPS, before it had its niche stolen by Battlefield.

It used to be western front only, but it seems the game is expanding east now apparently.

I think that’s multiplayer only. I can’t speak for him, but I’m pretty sure Paul was talking about a good single player campaign built around WW1.

I only played through 3 or 4 of the campaigns in BF1 during the free weekend, and I enjoyed the ones I played. I thought it was a nice idea to have little mini-campaigns to show different aspects and different spectacle, since Battlefield is all about the spectacle.

Correct, never played Verdun and never will since I am more into singleplayer games than online multiplayer.

BF1’s SP campaign and its phony millennial gravitas is fucking terrible on all levels, except for the AV presentation. OTOH, it’s the only MP shooter experience I delve into these days. It’s still a “death comes from anywhere WTF” thing, but for some reason I feels that BF1’s has a slightly slower pace (…) than most other MP clusterfucks. It probably helps knowing the maps, too.

If you subscribe to Origin Access on the PC you can currently purchase the Battlefield 1 Premium Pass via the EA/Origin store for $26.99

Then you can make your friends Premium friends.

In the Name of the Tsar pack goes live for pass owners on Sept 9th. Regular folks can purchase it on Sept 19th.

I am excited, I’ll give it a solid 10 hours like I did the last content update, then get bored with it. :p

Note are up for In the Name of the TSAR.

https://www.battlefield.com/news/update-notes/in-the-name-of-the-tsar-update

I got into the CTE for the PS4 so I got an early look. Only saw 2 maps so far, but both were AMAZING. Can’t wait to get home and try it out tonight. I’ve played this game A TON over the past year. Was starting to get stale so the fresh maps will be nice. Hopefully they will be populated with people. I have issues trying to get operations that even have the LAST DLC. :(

Yeah these new maps are very nice so far. Definitely recommended.

Ah bloody hell my ps4 ran out of space and didn’t download the patch. 10 gigs. Considering how slow the ps4 downloads are this will take a while. I really need to get a new hd. I’m always running out of space.

Specializations are here!

How it works

Specializations are broken down into two different variants: Generic and Kit Specific. Every class has access to 7 Generic Specializations and 2 Kit Specific Specializations.

All players will start with 3 Specializations by default: Flak, Cover and Quick Regen. Further Specializations will be unlocked via completion of new Service Assignments (coming to all players with the “In the Name of the Tsar” expansion), but in the interest of testing and getting feedback, we have unlocked everything for you on the CTE. We will have more information about the Service Assignments at a later time. Specializations are designed to give players more opportunities and diversity within each kit, not necessarily more power overall. Choices should provide more depth and strategy to gameplay.

All classes

• Flak: Incoming damager from explosions is reduced by 15%
  • Cover: Incoming suppression is reduced by 25%
  • Quick Regen: Decrease time before Out of Combat Heal by 20%
  • Quick Unspot: Decrease length of time you are Spotted by 2 seconds
  • Bayonet Training: Bayonet charge lasts 1 second longer and recovers 1 second quicker
  • Hasty Retreat: Increase your maximum sprint speed by 10% whilst you are Suppressed
  • Camouflage: When moving slowly or stationary you are invisible to Spot Flares

Assault

• Juggernaut: Your Gas Mask also reduces explosive damage by 15% (does stack)
  • Controlled Demolition: TNT is now detonated sequentially

Medic

• Stimulant Syringe: Reviving an ally give you both a 20% sprint speed for 8 seconds (Does not stack)
  • Concealed Rescue: Downed Squad Mates within 20m drop smoke to cover their revival (40s cooldown)

Support

• Unbreakable: Incoming suppression is reduced by 75% when your Bipod is deployed
  • Pin Down: The Duration an enemy remains spotted is extended via Suppression

Scout

• Scapegoat: A decoy is automatically deployed when struck below 35 health by a distant enemy (30s cooldown)
  • Perimeter Alarm: When your Trip Mine is triggered enemies within 15m are marked on the mini-map

OK, some of these new weapons are… interesting. I’ve unlocked one, the one I deemed the “more interesting” one, for a few classes.

For assault: basically a cut down machine gun. 80 rounds, heavy ammo, not super accurate as it’s a kind of SMG based on a machine gun.

For support: the new machine gun is monstrous. Ultra high rate of fire, lots of damage. Very very inaccurate though. You get suppressive with a scope, and obtaining the low weight variant of this requires you to shoot down planes with a machine gun which is super plausible with this thing equipped! It also has a super fun “spin the magazine on” reload animation.

For medic: a very early prototype AK-47, from what I can tell?

I highly recommend unlocking the new machine gun at minimum, though all three of these are interesting, and I haven’t touched the handguns, apparently

I only unlocked one gun last night. One of the scout guns. Seems decent but nothing amazing. The support ones are fun. Played with them on the cte. You can tell they put A LOT of work into this dlc. All the maps are fantastic. The music is awesome and watching people run around with crappy weapons to do unlocks is pretty funny. Lots of things to work to unlock that’s for sure. I hadn’t played online games like this in years and now I’m totally hooked on it. Especially when I don’t feel like engaging in some complicated game.

I know DICE and EA are hoping that the actions they’ve taken will help re-join the community. Between the newly reduced price on Battlefield 1 Premium, the upcoming Tsar edition bundle release, and Premium Friends, etc, they want to see more people playing the Premium maps than the scant population they’ve always had.

As someone that actually paid for the Premium Pass, I want them to just make them free for all Battlefield 1 owners. Stop dividing up the players and get some people on these maps! Just give us Premium Pass owners $50 worth of loot crates or whatever. I don’t even care anymore. I just want to play on these maps without waiting forever to get on them.

Ya I don’t play the last DLC maps almost at all because they are always so empty. And they are good maps too. I don’t play these types of games that much so I’m not sure how much this is an issue for other games. Didn’t have any trouble finding games last night, but obviously everyone who has a pass is trying it out.