Battlefield 2042 - DICE Goes Back to the Future, Just Not the 2142 Future

Is this BF build by the main DICE team or some new group of people in training?

This (and all EA games) would be in included in EA Play Pro, is that right? And I have to choose a platform when I subscribe to that?

You can only get Pro on the PC. There is no console equivalent. If you get EA Play on consoles, you only have 10 hours of access to new games. On PC, it’s unlimited access to 2042, FIFA '22, and Madden '22 and future releases.

I think I’m going to pass on this for at least a few months to let DICE fix all the issues and see how the gameplay shakes out. There’s just too much right now that I’m not liking.

I detest that notification banner that drops down from the top of the screen.
The bots are bad.
I don’t like the d-pad interface on my rifle.
It’s buggy as heck.

I didn’t find the bugs to be all that bad for a pre-release. I’m sure they actually did branch their repo for the demo a few weeks back, to limit the exposure of what they had to test before releasing the beta. That is no guarantee of quality for the final release of course.

Because I am old and slow, I decided to try things like anti-air rather than constantly lose the twitch battle that is infantry combat. I equipped the homing missile and went copter hunting. It turns out they just have to push the button in response to the giant prompt (see below) that apparently says “become immune from missiles” to avoid it. And the chaff/flares/whatever re-enable as quickly as my missiles (of which I only have 3) reload. So, yay?

Ziplines are fun. I guess they want to attract some Fortnite/Apex players or something. Taking the elevator to the top of the building leaves things unplayably laggy for at least 10 seconds or so. I guess it’s the same code as landing on the Titan in 2142.

My biggest problem is that the UI is hot garbage. Who knew that cyan HUD against a daylit blue sky would be hard to read? But the icons are so small, that the red ones don’t do much better. So I can’t tell where the cap points I’m supposed to hit are. The lettered points are below my radar, and at least they change colors to indicate which ones belong to which team. One of them seems to have a hat over the box? No idea what that means.

I can’t figure out what the control is to change seats in a vehicle. (Series X). I go to the menus, and I can pick different control layouts, but none of them actually say what any of them map buttons to. Sometimes I think I get a control prompt, but it’s about the size of one of the little pips marking my teammates, so I can’t tell what symbol is in there. (55 inch 4k HDR TV from about 6 feet away). Thanks to the helpfully low-contrast cyan choice. In the settings I can change the HUD opacity, which is already at max (who would possibly want it lower?). But no way to make bigger? Still have no real idea what button opens the parachute. I think it’s A?

At the spawn screen, even capture point is surrounded by so many little circles that I can’t make out anything. I try to spawn on the skyscraper, but it tells me that it’s “in combat”. Oops, I was hovering over a teammate 2 pixels away I guess. Speaking of teammates, I want to spawn on one of them. I can’t seem to just cursor through them to pick one. The helpful list on the left sometimes lights up when I have one selected, but pressing down doesn’t select the next one. It seems like this is something that should be easy in battlefield?

My ammo is helpfully huge. My health is a thin bar below that. If you look at it when at full health, it looks like it’s just a div line between the ammo and the next HUD section. Kinda hard to find in all the HUD noise for what is probably the most important piece of info.

When I spawn, I can pick a class, a class kit, and then individual weapons. I think this means that the first two don’t actually mean anything? Is the first choice just the character model?

I think there’s probably fun in here. The weather stuff seems cool. I love that you can just summon a Warthog anywhere (they know who their competition is). Robot dog companions. But I’m surprised how they just get so many basics wrong, after this many games. Now I just feel like I’ll just play some more of V until that community is gone. I don’t recall this much frustration with that game.

My name is not SadleyBradley. I’m so confused. When did I type this? Why would I give my secrets away like this? Aiiiiieeeeee

As someone who hasn’t played a Battlefield game in close to a decade and also has never played one a gamepad, this was driving me bonkers. I felt like a good chunk of my (sadly, limited) time in the beta was spent trying to figure out what controls did what (for me, it was trying to figure out how to Spot someone using a gamepad).

I don’t understand what I am watching, because its not conquest mode.

A new Battlefield Friends video:

Seems last gen systems will get half the map sizes.

I was planning to pick this up, but I haven’t played a Battlefield since the 1942 version, which I think is the first one…? So I’m a bit rusty.

So I picked up a very heavily discounted bundle on Steam just now. The bundle includes Battlefield 1, Battlefield 4 and Battlefield V. Any suggestions as to where I should start? I’m interested in the single player mode too.

If you’re looking for “traditional” Call of Duty style single player campaign, the BF4 is close. BF1 and BFV are more like “war stories” where you jump around and experience different scenarios in the wars they cover.

If you’re looking for the closest MP experience to the upcoming 2042, then BF4 is in the same modern/slightly future tech time.

More tanks the better!

Thanks mate, that helps!

Just keep in mind too that BF1 and BFV have better tech underlying their gameplay and BF1 is probably the best game they’ve ever made.

Yes!!!

Imagine about three years from now when they announce a new World War I game using this engine and with 128 players per map…

Not that I’m expecting realism out of Battlefield of all franchises, but I could never get over how dumb their WW1 take was. Or at least that was my impression from the trailers they released with people running and gunning with automatic weapons.