Battlefield 2042 - DICE Goes Back to the Future, Just Not the 2142 Future

I’ve never seen the rocket launch in this.

I’ve seen a couple launches so far but never its destruction.

Hit rank 15, saw the rocket launch also, gonna take a break now as I am getting a bit of map fatigue.

Lets hope 7 maps at launch is enough.

I’m having a ton of fun in the beta but I really hope a lot of the issues are fixed by launch or soon after. One thing I’d like is to not be paired with mouse/kb folks when I’m on a PS5 gamepad. If you turn off cross play there’s a good chance you’re in a bot only match.

I’ve played a lot of matches seen quite a few rocket launches but have yet to see a tornado.

Which screen shows who the bots are? And is the squad order stuff not in this one? I thought that was pretty fundamental. Having a fun time running round with no idea what’s going on though :)

A lot of the squad stuff is broken including spotting. The claim is this is a build from two months ago.

I expect a lot of things will be fixed in the final game. There will also be some jank remaining.

It’s definitely Battlefield though. I’ve had moments over the last three days that I could never find in any other videogame. The organic evolution of every round based on how players decide to move and attack just can’t be beat.

Hah, yeah, this is the claim I’ve heard from every beta ever, I don’t think it’s ever been true. But there’s plenty of time to shake out bugs and fix them before release so fingers crossed!

One dev from the team did make a sarcastic post about hitting a bug he fixed a month ago so it’s possible. I’m sure it’s further along than this seems.

I’m really not understanding the complaints online about crossplay though. I haven’t seen anything to indicate PC players are ruling over games like gods the way some console people are saying. I play with a controller on all platforms, PC included. It has not been an issue for me.

What I think may be a thing is many people are so used to skill-based matchmaking now that they don’t even know they like it and BF2042 doesn’t have it. Sometimes yer gonna get rolled. Happened to me once last night. The other side just squashed everything in their path. It became a game of survival. I still had a blast.

Confirmed you can parachute into a zipline and zip away. Using this tactic i was able to parasail and zipline from tower to tower never touching the ground like some Just Cause reject. I also jumped out and back into the helio in freefall numerous times trying to confitm if it looses missle lock when nobodys flying. I think it does but need more testing. Good stuff!

I should start capturing videos as I have done some wacky shit. The Jeep is downright absurd when jumping it. Triple in air barrel rolls, jumping off cliffs etc. Just keeps on trucking.

I learned yesterday you can zipline upward also.

Oh yea. Thats the best one and the one I grab when parachuting. Straight up like Mary Poppins with an AK.

Of course my next match had a tornado. That was quite a spectical!

This game is kind of trash, but also fun. It confuse me and make me want the opinion of others.

I had fun playing, but ya a ton of bugs and glitches. My fav is probably ghost tank driver hovering, seated, in midair after the tank drives away. The weapons dont quite feel right yet, but thats probably just an audio fix/tightening.

While I’m always dubious of the ‘this is an old build’ statement, i believe it with this. I dunno why, but i just get that feeling base on how obvious some of the problems were. I’ll pick it up day 1 i figure

Its an old build! At least I hope. :)

Excited for full release, I don’t know how people play multiplayer FPS games without destructible terrain.

Heh… the first thing I do when I roll into a guarded point is start knocking the walls out with a tank. Gotta be able to see who’s in there. :)

I’m sure it’s not the very latest hot code or anything because that would be a terrible idea, but these betas are as much marketing as providing useful testing. There’s no way they release a build from two months ago missing a bunch of important work, networking improvements, etc. They’ll really want to be running the latest stable build they have. I’d absolutely love to be wrong, but a lot of the “the release game will be much less glitchy/better” speculation I see online is just setting people up for disappointment. At least, that’s been my experience from any late-development beta I’ve ever been a part of. Of course, DICE still has over a month and I’m sure they’re going to be bugfixing like mad so here’s to hoping release is a little more polished!

As for the beta itself, I downloaded it but didn’t get a chance to play much. Didn’t try it all on PC but fired up a few matches on the Series X. It was a little weird for me, I used to be a Battlefield fiend but I haven’t played one in ages. The last one I played was Battlefield 4 and I didn’t play too much of that one. Google tells me that would have been eight years ago. Coming back to the series after almost a decade, I didn’t really notice anything new, it just kind of felt… well, more Battlefield 4. Like I said, I didn’t have long with it so that’s just an initial impression but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. It’s “visually stunning” and all but my overall impression was “that’s it?”. I do wish I had more time this weekend so I could dig in a little bit more, though.

If I do pick this up, my plan was to get it on the Xbox. One of the things that drove me away from the series and FPS in general on PC was dealing with too many cheaters which I think would be alleviated to a degree on the consoles (with crossplay off, I mean). That being said, while I’ve spent some time over the past couple years getting competent with FPS on a gamepad, I’m not sure I’m up to snuff when it comes to competitive stuff! I was able to get in a few kills but mostly my contribution was awarding XP to the other team, I think. :) I do pretty well in Destiny 2 PVP with a gamepad on PC, but man I sucked here. Maybe it’s more to do with getting older and my reaction times degrading even further.

I looked through the settings and didn’t see anything for aim assist. Is that typical on competitive console shooters these days or was the lack of aim assist unusual? I’m very much OOTL when it comes to FPS, especially on consoles. I’m just wondering how they’re going to handle crossplay between consoles and PC if they don’t plan on having any.

Sounds like me at my day job.

“Oh, that’s not working? This must be an old version. Let me check on that.”

Makes the fix

“Just as I thought, I pushed the new version out and you should be all set now!”

I expect the release version to be much better than this one, but still to be a buggy mess with many bugs.

If this build has somewhere between 800 and 4600 bugs, I expect the release version to have around 400 bugs. From these 400 bugs, maybe 2 you hit you in every game, and 6 that can potentially ruin your fun, and 20 that can be fun.

I think lots of these issues come from the decision to make it 128 players. Bigger landscape, twice the load for the netcode… and for what, the moment to moment gameplay is like traditional BF.