Battlefield 2042 - DICE Goes Back to the Future, Just Not the 2142 Future

I mentioned it before, but BF4 very clearly was setting the stage for the inbetween era before 2142. Hover tanks. Drones. It was already on the way there. It makes sense we’ll see that sort of thing in this game.

Yeah, the final stand dlc really leaned into that.

Yep. It sure did. It’s also still really cool to play and looks damn good for a 2014 game. I would not be at all surprised to see a BF6/BF2042 version of Giants of Karelia either.

Still has a pretty decent player population too. I imagine it has jumped quite a bit this past week with the giveaway as well.

I have only checked in on Battlefield briefly after each release. It has all been so disappointing to me since Battlefield Bad Company. I get, and cognitively agree with, big maps/ conquest being neat, but it seems like, in actuality, over the years it inevitably leads to what I call Battlefield Math:

64 players
32 per team
half of them dead at any one time
of the 16 you have them running to one of the 6 or more points (preferably one that nobody is at)

This leads to very sparsely populated fights that are essentially brief 1v1 or few vs few. It feels so empty and makes a lowly CoD seem filled with action. Also it really bugs me that folks run to a point, take it, abandon it, then run to another point. There really is no flank. Everything is a perpetual merry go round of avoiding combat.

Or so that has been my take. My last real joy of the franchise was Bad Company. Are you saying there is that sort of funneled/ objectives matter gameplay to be found in BFV? I looked at it very recently as it is on sale, but worry even on sale it would be a waste as I merry-go-round through a running simulator/ 1v1 DM game.

I miss Bad Company. I even miss SOME of the BF4 focused combat maps. Heck, I long for the days of Wake Island demo before 1942 even released where technically the map was large, but so much was focused on the island strip, and HO BOY did the aircraft field or carrier matter.

Does BFV offer someone like me something worth playing?

Yeah, you can play it on PC or PS5 and easily find games, even with the Xpacks. BF4 is still a friggin’ blast.

The best directed mode in any of the games is IMO Operations in Battlefield 1. Because that war was fought trench to trench, they went out of their way to create a gameplay type that really approximates that sort of ebb and flow of trench warfare. It’s also fucking brutal, and makes you sit back while you play and let out a “Jesus Christ people lived this!” every now and then. Sure, it’s a video game, but real life was godawful way worse and yet you can feel that horror in BF1.

They put a mode in BFV that’s similar called Breakthrough. It’s not as epic, because as I said up above you only get one chance to take all the points. But yes, both modes are more directed, and spread across a relatively wide front. You can definitely get into flanking positions and that’s inevitably how you truly break down the defense. You must have people who don’t just throw themselves on the front lines, but you ALSO need those people to do so.

It’s easier to show you than explain I think. Here’s an older stream of me playing BF1 Operations on St. Quentin Scar. This is PS4 Pro gameplay… and I mostly sucked. I was really still learning a ton when I made this.

This is a recent game of Rush on BFV. I made it through the entire round without dying.

Here’s Outpost, which is more like Conquest, but I think it’s a damn good time. This is my regular crew with one random guy and I had my sound settings messed up so you can’t hear my guys. There were some hilarious moments in this one.

Yeah experienced that as well and wasn’t fun. As DaveLong mentioned, seldom does the entire team do it so there are folks who cap.

Outpost was the best new mode imho.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield6/comments/nvtovu/a_lot_of_leaks_from_origin/

Does a leak on the same day as the reveal even count as a leak? Anyway, I’m not going to read all that, might as well watch today’s reveal first.

"Near future, 7 maps, up to 128 players, release on October ". There, that’s the summary.

Fewer release day maps than the last game? Sigh.

Well, if they are twice as big (for 128 players), it should be ok.

Me: “Man, I should play some BF again when this releases, I had a lot of fun with it back in the day.”

Also Me: “I’m out.”

Is this supposed to have a ‘next gen’ version on release?

Outfits were so dumb in BF5, it was either stock outfit poors wearing the most basic generic uniforms or rich players wearing $20 pimped out skins.

Also weapons skins are equally a dumb thing.

I thought the reveal was supposed to be at 9am Central, 10am Eastern? But I think I found the official channel, and it says 75 minutes to go, so maybe I was off by an hour.

There also is a countdown livestream, don’t know if there is anything going to be happening in that hour:

Apparently delayed an hour from the original time.