Battlefield 2042 - DICE Goes Back to the Future, Just Not the 2142 Future

Gotta be cross-gen, so they have to deal with the limitations of the platform.

Probably a mechanism to help focus the combat, otherwise you’re going to have players wandering around far, far away from objectives.

Could be…Dice in the past also showed heat maps in previous BF titles that showed the paths that most players took on maps and where the most combat took place. This to me is them stretching to try to pull more players from CoD but in turn takes away from what made BF, BF. Now, I could be entirely wrong, and I hope I am.

I agree but then… don’t make super big maps in the first place? It all comes down to my previous argument of ‘this sounds like a marketing bullet point’.

The only real gain I see from something like this is that you don’t have wait to load the next map to play something different, I guess? And more space for air fights.

So you guys really haven’t played a lot of Battlefield in the last ten years?

Rush was a very popular game mode from the Bad Companay games that created a lot more focused combat because you were fighting over two or three specific locations and when those were destroyed, you could progress to the next.

Operations in Battlefield 1 was a big map version of Rush with lots more vehicle options, but fit into the setting in a perfect way as it approximated the trench warfare seen in World War I in a much better way than standard Conquest could do. It also told the story of the war and the maps you fought on. Three attempts by the attackers would have to push through as many as five sectors. It is still the best way to play Battlefield 1.

In Battlefield V, they essentially renamed Operations to Breakthrough, fitting for the second World War. Again, it’s a tremendously entertaining way to play Battlefield V. The difference is that you only get one shot at taking all the points and pushing the sectors and Victory or Defeat is gauged on the progress or lack thereof of the attackers. Grand Operations takes every possible game mode from Battlefield including things you probably never played like Team Deathmatch, Domination, etc. and mixes them all up into one grand campaign somewhat similar to BF1’s Operations but with more variety. It’s ok, but I typically want to play one mode at a time. Also, BFV has Outpost which is incredibly entertaining in that it focuses combat on four or so radio towers that spout propaganda if you can construct them for your team. They “recruit” soldiers to your side and you gain tickets based on their upgraded level.

All of the above is in addition to Conquest, which has never left the Battlefield games and will be in the next one. If that leak is true, you could easily have each sector play as a BF3 style map all its own until it gets locked down. The maps in BFV are already damn large. I’m sure they can make them even bigger even on prior gen machines. I wish they’d leave those people in the past where they belong, but apparently that’s not a thing in this new generation, at least not yet.

DICE aren’t stupid. Every game has simply added to what they did before. You’ve never lost the ability to play BF however you want to. That’s what the series is all about to be honest. It’s a sandbox you go play in.

So yes, all of you saying “I hope I’m wrong.” Yes. You are wrong. These games have been given away recently on PS4/PS5 and on Xbox and PC. Just go play them and find out for yourself.

I played every BF since 1942 so get just don’t assume I didn’t. I have over 700 hours played in BFV alone, and that does not include BF1, BF4, BF3, Bad Company, Hardline, etc. Personally, I am most happy with my Conquest maps, which I played that mode the most. A lot of the Breakthrough and Rush modes are just funneling people into linear lanes. Tanks and vehicles especially. Not my type of game mode but there is definitely an audience for it. I am hoping that there are plenty of open Conquest maps that are not linear. Sure they had open maps in the recent titles as well but not enough in my opinion.

It sounds like previous gen is going to basically be a separate game due to that. Crossgen will be the new gen and oc only.

I thought all the rumors said it was next gen only…

They have said they are going to support previous gen most likely because of supply issues, but it is going to be a separate thing from the new gen and pc.

I mean, if you’ve played them all, then why worry? You can complain there aren’t enough maps, and I would sort of agree with you, but given how people won’t buy expansion packs I’m not sure what the answer is to that particular problem. It costs a lot of money to make great maps and after BF1, that’s not how things are done today.

There will be Conquest, and hopefully for all the old people like us it will be 128 players on massive maps on PS5/Xbox Series X/PC.

I don’t really agree on the “linear lanes” thing either. You can definitely get great flanks on Operations/Breakthrough maps. Watch Broken Machine on YouTube. He’s always pulling off crazy flanks.

It really helps new players to have those modes too. Many people don’t understand Conquest even twenty years later. Christ, people still can’t PTFO on three cap point Domination maps as big as my hand in Call of Duty Cold War. The level of investment in the objective of a lot of gamers is low.

I will have to check his video’s out, thanks for the tip. Totally agree on your point of objective playing. BF puts a lot more into playing the objective than CoD. CoD does have some game modes with it nowadays but most modes in BF require it otherwise it’s a loss. I hope we have a better idea tomorrow with the reveal.

I guess I am just coming off more jaded because of their handling of BFV. Although I played a lot of it, there was so more potential! I love the WW2 theme and I feel they dropped the ball on this one so much that they veered away from the Eastern Front. It’s my favorite FPS franchise so really hoping they bounce back and put it behind them.

I understand that and obviously you’re not alone with regard to BFV. I’ve learned to love it for what it is and goddamn if it isn’t still freaking fantastic to go tanking in Breakthrough on Panzerstorm. Like, the one thing I really like in both BF1 and BFV is that Operations and Breakthrough give that actual feeling of taking ground and having to hold it. Actually, Frontlines in BFV is also really cool for that, and to me that’s more WWII than standard Conquest.

BFV is pretty damn great for what it is. I know it let people down because of the choices of locations, and I totally get that, but if you lean into its setting… get good at playing it a little bit, and then get in one of those paper thin Shermans or the luxurious confines of a Tiger and start really blowing shit up, well that’s as good as gaming can get IMO.

Also, if you didn’t unlock everything, for $10 you can get Definitive Edition as an upgrade which will unlock all the weapons and give you a bunch of cool cosmetics and hero dudes. It’s totally worth it. To do so, for anyone that owns the original, just look in the store inside the game. You need like 900 Battlefield Coin. Ignore the panel that says it’s $39.99. Not necessary.

I remember the moment my friends and I started getting soured on the original Modern Warfare 2 back in the day, is when certain players were playing Domination, and the only thing they cared about was the K/D ratio. So we would go in there and capture the point, and if the K/D players were on the other team, they would kill the shit out of us, and yet, never go to capture any points so they lost. And if the K/D players ended up on our team, that would actually work out pretty well (since we cared about the objective). But it started happening so often we stopped playing.

There will always be those people in these games. You cannot avoid them. In BF it’s guys that snipe all match and end 70-0 at the top of the scoreboard but never contributed to any caps.

The nice thing about Battlefield is as long as there aren’t a bunch of them, it doesn’t matter too much. Other people will get the job done. You can just ignore them.

I might have posted this in another thread, but you just can’t get this kind of fun in any other game IMO. And if I was smarter, I’d have put a Panzerfaust up the tail pipes of this thing immediately after… bad language incoming…

Wow, I feel like you should publish an article somewhere with this info titled “use this one cool trick to unlock everything in Battlefield for only $10”.

I think EA knows about it or it wouldn’t be in there. It’s something everyone who wants to spend some actual time with the game should do, though. It’s way more fun as an assault when you can use an StG44 or M2 Carbine right out of the gate. Same goes for a lot of the unlockable Medic weapons. I’ve been having a blast with the ZK-383.

I’d be playing regardless, but Definitive Edition gives you so much fun stuff.

Starting with Bad Company 2 I always used to resent having to grind to unlock the basic class kits skills like medkit for the medic.

BF4 is probably the worst offender there. Unlocking new weapons is brutal in that game.

We’ll see what they do with the next game. I think there’s some medium ground they can tread here and that CoD Warzone/Cold War should give them good ideas about how to do it and do it right. I expect that attachment unlocking will be a thing and that’s ok as long as decent base loadout weapons are there to use and unlocking any DLC guns is still possible through gameplay.

Yeah, that was the biggest surprise in that game. The fact that the medic couldn’t heal until you first used him to kill a lot of people.

The Tom Henderson discord server seems pretty set on it being named BF 2042 now, and this was posted on twitter as well (don’t know if he is just messing or trying to make the connection with 2142):