Battlefield 5: awesomeness continues

Pre-ordering Battlefield 1 will get you the Battlefield 1 Hellfighter Pack containing themed items inspired by the heroic Harlem Hellfighter infantry regiment. This also includes 7 days early access to a map released later in 2016.

The Harlem Hellfighters was one of the toughest infantry regiments in the Great War.

This pack contains unique unlocks inspired by their heroic deeds.

• Hellfighter Trench Shotgun – Combat battered shotgun, etched with the Hellfighter insignia and “Men of Bronze” on the receiver and the unit number 369th on the barrel along with the carving “Go Forward or Die France 1918” on the wooden stock
  • Hellfighter M1911 – Reliable and timeless sidearm still used in action today affectionately called “old slabsides”, etched with the Hellfighter insignia on the breech and “Men of Bronze” on the muzzle.
  • Hellfighter Bolo Knife – Fearsome blade etched with the Hellfighter regiment number 369ththat makes your enemy feel homesick at first sight.
  • Hellfighter Insignia – Wear this emblem to show your belonging to the elite Hellfighter unit and-in-still fear on the Battlefield.

Yay! It is the Harlem Hellfighters!

Would be nice if DICE finally managed to throw together a great campaign but I am not holding my breath. Or is this MP only again ?

Hahaha, thats the eindecker type, right? Hated those planes :)

Surely BC1/2 were great in all regards?

I guess in terms of impact in the US it might seem natural/inclusive to feature the Hellfighters, but the US joined fashionably late in WW1 (outside of volunteers) so maybe pre-order bonuses will be Region-specific?

Look on the bright side, probably no more homing missiles or fast moving jets/choppers. I much more enjoyed air-to-air engagements in BF1942 with the slower planes than just listening for a ‘tone’ in BF3/4 while trying to avoid the many many manpads.

I’d say very loosely themed on WW I. Still I will take any change from the monotony of the modern/near future fps that has inundated gaming over the years.

Lawrence of Arabia DLC?

Oh man… fuck yes. Trains? Blowing up train tracks as an objective please. I am so excited at the possibilities of a non-modern AAA shooter.

Harlem Hellfighters: from storied African-American regiment in WWI to preorder DLC used by 13-year-old assholes in 2016.

Dub Step WWI music! Harlem Hellfighters!

I’m looking forward to this, although please give me some more interesting objective based maps. Not just capture the flag, hold points, etc.

By the way, if you’re confused by the quick shot of a guy wearing what looks like a medieval knight’s helmet…

It’s this.

Special super-deluxe collector’s boondoggle edition: $220

Ah, so do we get TNT-strapped suicide horses this time around?

I dunno why people still want single player campaigns for this series. Such a waste of time and resources. This is part of the core Battlefield series. Hardline kinda shows what you can do with single player.

— Alan

There were a few moments - moments, mind you - in BF4’s campaign that were pretty good. When DICE goes big on the more open area engagements and drops the CoD-style Bruckheimer setups, they do really well.

If they could put that kind of open-area stuff into WWI, I’ll gladly play it.

I don’t understand this either. The length is usually very short and the writing/acting is cringe worthy.

urgh, I was REALLY hoping all this WWI talk was just strange rumors. :( Sounds like there is a new and heavy emphasis on hand to hand fighting as well. Fuuuuuuuuuuck, this is not good.

There’s also a stronger focus on melee combat, Berlin said. In fact, DICE designed the hand-to-hand combat from the ground up for Battlefield 1, complete with a bayonet-charge ability, sabers, trench clubs, and even shovels.

The only good news is that the SP campaign “embraces open sandboxes”, but they kinda said that about BF4 as well, and it was only weakly true. Nobody plays BF games for the SP anyway, statistically it’s 50+ hours of MP versus, what, 5 hours of SP? Who cares.

I’m really struggling with this, I hate the venue choice. I guess the only positive thing is vehicles can’t be so overpowering vs. infantry as in previous BF entries, because in WW1 there were barely tanks? And the planes were super primitive? So infantry will get an overall implicit boost due to the weakness and fragility of the primitive vehicles. (Except sea I guess, but … fuuuuuck.)

I’ll preorder and all that, but fuck. fuck. fuck. Not excited.

I hope they fix the two major bugs that were plaguing me in BF4: the one where I keep dying a mere ten seconds after I re-spawn, and the other bug where I shoot at other players and they won’t die.

Jesus this is fucking awful

I just hope they put enough time into it. WWI is very rarely show in games, is underserved and I am sure theres a lot to show that we have not seen before. But at the same times is a quite high challenge. They can always do a bland one, but doing World War 1 justice is something I have not seen before, and will even surprise me if it happens.

What’s also horseshit is that automatic weapons, a STAPLE of battlefield, barely existed in practical form in WWI, and even then only at the end such that they were basically ignored:

so unless this is a highly fantasized version of WWI, it’s gonna be horses, single shot bolt actions, barely-there grenades, and hand to hand trench warfare. Fucking horrible.

I’m not too fussed about that. My favorite weapons have always been the mid-range bolt-actions/semi-autos (e.g. generally represented by the M1, M11, M14, VSS in the BF games).

It is true, however, that this will need to be highly stylized to not be trench war.

If they were to do WW I “justice” it would be a very boring video game. Trench warfare and tanks that moved slower than a person walks don’t make for a fun game.