Battlefront II - EA and DICE versus the Dark Side

Haha. The story has hit CNN.

Will this hurt sales?

Yes

This mess is starting to remind me of Sim City all over again. Which is painful as I actually enjoyed a lot of what Sim City was trying to do.

Simcity shitshow was because they made it always-online to stop piracy and couldn’t keep the servers up. That was asinine and self-defeating to be sure, but not downright offensive to all that is good and holy like pay2win in a $60 AAA+ game.

If I’m going to spend $300 on a game it better come with a giant ass mech controller or something.

Relevant XKCD, though you missed your hyphen.

EDIT: Also, that controller IS bad-ass. What the hell was that from?!?

An Xbox (I think) game called Steel Battallion.

Loot boxes and full of bugs! It’s like the best of EA and Dice in one giant shit sandwich.

Seems sometime Tuesday, EA removed the refund button from Origin. You must contact customer service directly now (and wait on hold) for a refund.

There were tons of emotes and poses in the crates too. I don’t care about those, I was paying to win, damn it!

I guess it is good they remove purple epics from the crates but honestly it does not take that long to get to level 20 and you can craft every single card purple epic you really need no problem. Not all of them of course, but who needs epic brawler?

The game is actually great fun. And if people thought that random cards would give them an unbeatable advantage then I think they profoundly misunderstood a game where you square off as a soldier against a Jedi.

(I do think epic cards on a hero would make them much harder to take down but heroes generally require multiple people fighting them to take down anyway, so does it really matter? You do see a fair number of people with big hero Kill streaks but again… wouldn’t you expect that from a game that mixes vanilla soldiers and heroes?)

Sadly the pay2win appears to be broken. Or else people are full of shit on the internet. Guess which one is more likely?

GMG embracing the dark side with their current discount:

Isn’t the problem that you can’t even play the heroes without farming points for a long time or paying extra for loot crates? That was the big controversy that got me to change my mind about a purchase.

In other news, anyone who pre-orders in the digital age is a sucker. We can see how terrible the pre-order things is now that EA removed an easy way to do it. Not only are they introducing legalized gambling in game, now they are screwing people who don’t want to participate in the gambling. Absolutely shameful.

Disney better get on this, or it’s going to hurt the Star Wars brand. All is takes is one really well written story on CNN or the NYT to blow this thing up. It’s already pretty big, but if they interview some crying kid or do a story on how some kid spend $300 of his/her parents money on loot crates, it will look terrible.

The thing is, Wumpus, your story makes me want to buy the game even less. So they sell these loot crates and they don’t even do much? What a complete waste of everyone’s time. How are you not pissed you spent all that money with nothing to show for it?

I’ve noticed here and also mentioned on neoGAF and ResetERA, that for every $100 spent on crates people seem to only be getting 3-4 blues the rest are green / grey / emotes / dupes. I wonder if the limit on blue cards is on a per-day basis?

It’s still pay2win. It doesn’t matter if it’s a 1% advantage. Paying money should not offer an in-game advantage.

People already have advantages with higher-end computers, better reflexes, low-latency internet connections, etc. It’s important to keep competition as pure as possible, otherwise achievements and progression have no meaning.

I definitely get the attraction of cheating in a multiplayer game. I almost bought a Xim4 just to cheat in Destiny 2 on PC for the hell of it. It’s fun to completely destroy people with an unfair advantage. But that doesn’t make it OK.

And more importantly, the game’s reward systems would have been designed differently if players couldn’t pay to win-- and the game would be more fun for everybody.

I’d agree, unless you are upfront about it. While I’d hate it and not participate in such a thing, if a publisher flat-out stated up front that the more you pay, the better your chances of winning/progressing/whatever, and really owned the whole thing, I could actually live with that. Why people would want to play in that environment is beyond me–I mean, you have lots of money to throw around, haven’t you already won in that arena?–but it would be more honest than trying to weasel around between “no, no P2W here!” and “buy our loot boxes or you’ll be a putz.”

I wonder if EA is getting any calls from Disney about this. Not the best PR leading up to Last Jedi’s release.

I spent at least $70 CAD to get the sexy Mercy witch costume.

I’ve always bought the shortcut pack for the class I liked most to play for previos Battlefield games since I don’t have the time to slog through progression unlocks.