Battlefront II - EA and DICE versus the Dark Side

Well there was Finn/Phasma and some apparently average extra story missions.

Wilson added that he expects no trouble with Disney whenever EA decides to add microtransactions back into Battlefront 2, saying, “We’re at a point where, when we make the decision that we have the right model for players and our community, I have no doubt that we will get the support of Disney on that.”

Not like it was a massive miss. 9 vs 10 million. Still a mountain of money for them.

I am not content creator at the moment, but when I was*, I remember that feedback had a fat lag. You would receive positive feedback for stuff you did years back. I could be doing something cool, and receive a lot of negative feedback from something I did before. Then people works in mysterious ways, you could do something amazing and people would (apparently) ignore it, then do something you think is kind of mediocre and people would get crazy about it.
Taking feedback to the heart correctly require some honesty, to take the correct one for the correct input.
It takes a effort in honestly to correctly identify feedback or what you did wrong or right, and I doubt game companies of that size have the honestly capital for that.

* This is a lie, I have never been a content creator. Ha, I tricked you!.

In spite of the game’s loot box controversies probable role in that shortfall, VG247 reports the Star Wars action game will resume selling loot boxes in the coming months. “Digital economies have a place, and we will continue to drive and focus on that,” said EA CEO Andrew Wilson during an earnings conference call. "The teams are working on how that context will apply to the Battlefront universe, but more on that in the months to come.

Because of course they are. Because 9 million x $60-$110 a piece (minus retail or console fees) is not enough. I won’t be buying into any of EA’s games that do this including sports.

It appears the WSJ source story was incorrect. Activision’s shareholder release has different numbers.

The company adjusted their sales forecast down to 8 million based on early reaction to the progression issues, but wound up only selling 7 million. The previous game sold 13 million in the same period.

After seeing that other thread with the sales charts, I can’t believe there’s any companies left that are still doing single player games, or heck, anything besides trying to concentrate on loot boxes and digital economies. There seems to be so much more money in that.

I guess this game is a good indication why you can’t go full steam ahead with that idea. It might spark a backlash. But overall, it’s not surprising that’s where the industry is headed, since that’s where the money is.

I think Activision’s CEO was right when he said that the Battlefront II backlash was a learning opportunity for gaming. Some properties and genres just aren’t ready to change over to a 100% MTX model just yet. For example, FIFA and Madden have been doing this for years and no one bats an eye because the sports audience is cool with betting and the fantasy team model. For good or ill, the mainstream Star Wars license just wasn’t receptive.

There’s more absolute dollars, but fewer winners and a lot more risk. Most people don’t realize how much free to play games actually spend on user acquisition to keep the revenue stream going. Some of mid-tier “just some millions” games don’t actually make money.

“We’re not there yet, and we don’t have their support.”

I still maintain that the Multiplayer Loot Box Extravaganza is this decade’s version of the MMO “this is the future of gaming” craze. A few big winners, and plenty of failed or failing idea-chasers who didn’t have much to say other than “me too, I want some of that money!”

It’s apples and oranges really. Sports games have pretty beefy single player modes. EA’s BF is a thin veneer of SP locking you into MP for 90% of your game-time. If 2K NBA stripped away all the single player career stuff, if FIFA stripped away all its single player storytelling and deep play modes - people would be incensed. MP is voluntary from start to finish. It’s not really that way in Battlefront.

Lots of good info in this thread: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/comment/942900/

• Clone Wars content is coming
  • Character customization is also coming
  • They plan on adding maps and some content from the first game
  • No more story content is planned, but they do have content lined up for future “seasons”
  • They are going to make more of the added content available in Arcade Mode, including maps

Do they have AI bots so you can play all the maps without humans?

That’s Arcade Mode. The one big caveat is that the mode only offers team deathmatch. You can set a bunch of variables like turning off heroes, adjusting bot difficulty, etc. But you can’t play any of the space maps and no vehicle use.

1.2 patch and some new mode with rockets.

When is the next one that’s not impossibly broken?

Is this game out yet?

I saw this game in the bargain bin at Best Buy yesterday when I was searching stores for Bayonetta 2.

Heh.

The long-awaited revamp of the progression system.

With this update, progression is now linear. Star Cards, or any other item impacting gameplay, will only be earned through gameplay and will not be available for purchase. Instead, you’ll earn experience points for the classes, hero characters, and ships that you choose to play in multiplayer. If you earn enough experience points to gain a level for that unit, you’ll receive one Skill Point that can be used to unlock or upgrade the eligible Star Card you’d like to equip.

Cards will be removed from all crates.
Crates will only have credits or cosmetic items like emotes.
Everyone will keep everything they’ve already unlocked.
“Appearances” or cosmetic skins will start to show up in April.